Captain Beswick Wray--92nd Engineer GS Regiment

My full name is David Beswick Angell, I live in the UK in the county of Oxfordshire, not very far from where 343 Engineer GS Regiment were stationed during WW2. I only found out some 20 years ago

that I am half Texan,half English. It's taken me until last year to make contact with my half sister and

half brother. My sister sent me last Christmas our late father's Military Records, and I would like to make contact with veterans and families whose fathers served with Captain Beswick Wray, General Sevice Engineer Unit Commander 1328, 92nd Engineer General Service Regiment, from San Antonio Texas commanded by Col George W Bennett, was under the command of the 1168 Engineer Combat Group as a part of 5th Army support units during WW2. After the war he worked for the Texas Highway Dept. Captain Beswick Wray I would very grateful for any help.

Welcome David!!!

I just recently had the pleasure of speaking with someone from my fathers unit and it was very helpful in figuring out my dads experience in Europe. The man that I spoke with did not remember my father, but gave me a lot of info on what jobs they performed duing the war. There was no association connected with the group any longer after the last president died. I spent a lot of time on the internet and through the piece of knowledge I got from my uncle that my dad was at the Battle of the Bulge, I was able to hook up with a group of veterans of the bulge and one of them had been in the 1251st. Don't get frustrated in your search. Have you been able to find any records on the units service yet?

Darlene

I would like to make contact with ex vets and family's who's fathers seved with Captain Beswick Wray,

General Service Engineer Unit Commander 1328, 92nd Engineer General Service Regiment, from San

Antonio,Texas, commanded by Col George W Bennett, was under the command of the 1168 Engineer

Combat Group as a part of 5th Army support units during WW2.

I would be very grateful for any help.

Welcome David!!!

I just recently had the pleasure of speaking with someone from my fathers unit and it was very helpful in figuring out my dads experience in Europe. The man that I spoke with did not remember my father, but gave me a lot of info on what jobs they performed duing the war. There was no association connected with the group any longer after the last president died. I spent a lot of time on the internet and through the piece of knowledge I got from my uncle that my dad was at the Battle of the Bulge, I was able to hook up with a group of veterans of the bulge and one of them had been in the 1251st. Don't get frustrated in your search. Have you been able to find any records on the units service yet?

Darlene

Darlene,

Thank you for your kind support.

David

Hi David,

I have a photograph of the 1st Battalion officers of the 92nd army engineers. My father Joel Hill was one of them. Names are listed on the back. There is a Capt. Wrey -of Texas listed. Different last name spelling but the 92nd and Texas match. I'll be glad to email you a copy if you like.

Others in the photograph are: Lt Schellberg- Neb, Lt Welker - Ala, Lt Swanson - Mich, Capt Douglas - MO, Capt Green - Minn, Major Small - Ill, Lt. McDonald, Mass - Lt Geary - Penn, Lt Lahaye - Texas, Lt Cardone - Mich

Barbara Hill Osgood

David and Barbara, it's great to see you here, and wonderful that you have information to share. That's what this forum is all about. If I find anything, I'll be sure to post it here for both of you.

:armata_PDT_37:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Links for both of you. Have fun!

http://www.gulflink.osd.mil/declassdocs/ar...cls29_0004.html

http://www.milhist.net/ordbat/mtounits.html

http://www.heretical.com/smith/wwar2.html

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Hi David,

I have a photograph of the 1st Battalion officers of the 92nd army engineers. My father Joel Hill was one of them. Names are listed on the back. There is a Capt. Wrey -of Texas listed. Different last name spelling but the 92nd and Texas match. I'll be glad to email you a copy if you like.

Others in the photograph are: Lt Schellberg- Neb, Lt Welker - Ala, Lt Swanson - Mich, Capt Douglas - MO, Capt Green - Minn, Major Small - Ill, Lt. McDonald, Mass - Lt Geary - Penn, Lt Lahaye - Texas, Lt Cardone - Mich

Barbara Hill Osgood

Hi Barbara,

Yes please!.

My email (removed by Marion for your security and privacy reasons) - please send privately through forum email or forum personal messenger)

David

Hi David!

Here is the photo. Names are as follows:

Information on the back of this photo

Front Row:

Lt Schellberg (Neb), Lt. Welker (Ala), Lt. Swanson (Mich), Capt. Douglas (Mo),

Back Row:

Capt. Green (Minn), Major Small (Ill), Capt. Wrey (Texas), Lt. Daniel McDonald (Mass), Lt Geary (Penn), Lt Lahaye (Texas), Lt. Cordone (Mich)

I don't know much about these men. Dan McDonald is still alive. My mother is still in touch with him occasionally.

I hope you get this ok.

Barbara Hill Osgood

post-494-1203978791_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   1st_bn_officers.jpg (Size: 275.99 KB / Downloads: 0)

My full name is David Beswick Angell, I live in the UK in the county of Oxfordshire, not very far from where 343 Engineer GS Regiment were stationed during WW2. I only found out some 20 years ago

that I am half Texan,half English. It's taken me until last year to make contact with my half sister and

half brother. My sister sent me last Christmas our late father's Military Records, and I would like to make contact with veterans and families whose fathers served with Captain Beswick Wray, General Sevice Engineer Unit Commander 1328, 92nd Engineer General Service Regiment, from San Antonio Texas commanded by Col George W Bennett, was under the command of the 1168 Engineer Combat Group as a part of 5th Army support units during WW2. After the war he worked for the Texas Highway Dept. Captain Beswick Wray I would very grateful for any help.

Hello David,

Although I don't have alot of information that might concern your father, but there are a few similarities. My father inlaw was 1st Lt. Orville A. Johnson who served in North Africa and Italy, from April 1943-November 1945. He was an officer with the 386th Engineer Battalion. His certificate of Service shows that he was with the 92nd Engr(GS) Regiment. His Military Record and Report of Seperation/Certificate of Service shows that he was with the General Service Engineer Unit Commander 1328. I am not familiar with the significance of the number 1328. I could not find any Captain Beswick Wray or Col. George W. Bennett on any of his papers. I do know that April of 1945, Lt. Orville A. Johnson would no longer be part of the 386th Engineer Battalion. I think the unit was either disbanned or split up. He would then be part of the 98th Engineer General Service Regiment till leaving Italy in November, 1945.

Sincerely, Debra Johnson

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  343rd Engineer General Service Regiment hwhiting 51 57,564 03-22-2019, 11:19 AM
Last Post: CaptO
  41st Engineer Regiment. colinhotham 17 20,614 05-08-2018, 12:48 AM
Last Post: Richard
  359th General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 12 24,351 03-10-2018, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  351st General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 62 59,242 09-19-2017, 08:02 PM
  38th Engineer General Service Regiment Jeff B. 13 18,243 04-22-2017, 10:57 AM
  Info on Milton Brodsky and 346th Engineer General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 0 4,134 02-18-2016, 12:26 PM
  Paul Meek - 368th Engineer General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 1 5,020 11-04-2014, 06:40 AM
Last Post: colinhotham
  94th General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 0 2,264 08-13-2012, 05:46 PM
  Captain John Fallon at Fort Campbell Walt's Daughter 2 3,473 06-08-2012, 04:57 AM
Last Post: colinhotham
  175th Engineer Regiment BarbJ 19 27,993 05-05-2012, 07:52 AM