38th Engineer General Service Regiment

I have been trading E-Mails with a gentelman who's dad was in the same outfit as my Uncle George while building the AlCan highway. Company A 341st Engineer Regiment. I looked his name up in my Mom's Unit History books from both Alaska and Europe and his name is in both books and is listed as being in Company A.

My friend's name is Russell Kvistad and he says his dad was with the 38th Engineer Special Brigade when they landed at Normandy. Could he have been on loan or something? My friend is trying to find out what he can about his dad's time in Europe.

Can anyone shed any light on the 38th Engineer Special Brigade? As always I will appreciate it.

Parker

There was a 38th at Normandy, but they were the 38th Engineer General Service Regiment.

The special brigades were the:

HHC, 1st Engineer Special Brigade

HHC, 5th Engineer Special Brigade

HHC, 6th Engineer Special Brigade

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Here is a comprehensive list of units who participated in the Normandy landings.

http://www.army.mil/d-day/divisions/assault.html

Marion J Chard

Thank you so much Marion. I will pass this information on to my friend. I told him about all the wonderful people at VI Corps...especially you. Have a great weekend.

parker

Let me know if there is anything else. Of course if I run across anything in the interim, I will be most happy to share it with you and your friend. ;)
Marion J Chard

Larry sent this to me recently...

Amphibian Engineers – Special Brigade

Mr. Parker:

Yes, yes, yes! It very well could have been my Father who your Uncle was referring to about the film developing. My Father and his family lived in Bellingham, Washington – the extreme Northwest corner of the state. My father’s parents were Norwegian immigrants who originally homesteaded a farm in Halstad, MN. then later moved to Washington. It was well after the move to Washington when my Father was drafted into service.

At what point during his military career he became separated from the 341ST Engineers is unclear to me, but I would think it would have obviously been shortly after the AlCan Highway. He was definitely in Company F, 38TH Amphibious Engineers – Special Brigade who landed on Utah beach, Normandy, France because that’s what his discharge papers say. He described to me that his unit went ashore during the first wave and was heavily involved in very severe combat fighting. Actually, he was in heavy fighting throughout his entire stay in Europe including “The Bulgeâ€. I am almost for certain that I’m not misrepresenting the facts here.

If you’ll notice the insigne for the Amphibian Engineers at the top of the page (see below please) , it was the identical patch worn on my Father’s uniform. Whether or not they were “Combat Engineers†is still not completely clear to me – if they weren’t, they were closely associated with them I’m sure. There’s a monument on the beach at Normandy with this same insigne along with another one on the bottom of it which has a red “Seahorse†in it that was dedicated to those units. One of the things my Father told me is that he was specifically trained in demolitions using “Composition C and Bangalore torpedoesâ€. If you ever get the chance to find some of the old Compton’s Encyclopedias, you’ll notice under WWII insigne that the patch my father wore was considered “Special Units or Forcesâ€. They were categorized along with the Rangers and others of specialty.

Although there were many who were involved with the AlCan Highway, my hope is that our folks knew each other during this monumental time in history. Mr. Parker, you have my word that I will do my best in the upcoming weeks to find, scan and send you any pictures that I think would have the remotest possibility of having anything to do with your Uncle. I would also appreciate it if you could burn the disc you were referring to earlier and send it to me along with any costs you have spent. I will also gladly pay you for your time associated with these efforts. This means so much to me in finding you and discovering that our folks might have had a connection at some time in history. Thank you so very much for your response and e-mails. If you know or learn anything about the Engineers my Father was associated with, please don’t hesitate to let me know. What would be nice is if I could ever find an official diary or log about Co. F, 38TH Engineers. I suppose I’m wishing for too much. Thank you again and I’ll be sending you some scans from time to time.

Sincerely,

Russell H. Kvistad

2432 Madison Drive

Tifton, GA 31793

Marion's note: Yes, the image is a patch of the Amphibious Engineers. It is used to denote any amphibious engineer and therefore associated with many units during the war.

post-6-1172418566_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   AmphibiousEngineerPatch.jpg (Size: 5.39 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

2 February, 2007

Dear Russell,

Received your E-mail and have a little time to answer. I told my Mom about your mail and she was also excited. Your Dad's name etc. are in both Unit books she has from "The Long Trail" (the one about the AlCan) and the "History of the 341st in Europe. Now as far as His being in the 38th on D-Day I don't know about except to say that I do know that Engineers were loaned etc. to other units from time to time. Sometimes whole Companies or just a few depending on the need. It is odd that his name is in the Unit book from Europe unless he was just on loan for a time to the 38th. What is also odd is the fact that your Dad was listed as Company A 341st just like my Uncle in both books. My Mom says that my Uncle George had a friend in Company A who was from either Washington or Oregon who's family would develop film and mail the pictures to her family in Texas from Alaska. Could this have been your family?

Now to tell you a little more about what I have learned about Company A 341st Engineer Regiment. My uncle also did his boot camp training at Ft. Leonard Mo. He also got his Engineer training there. The VCR tape is really great and I will get it copied onto a CD at some point. It shows a lot from unloading equipment at White Horse to dealing with the musk eggs to the Cats working in very cold weather to base camps to the pet moose Company A had for a time and much more.

After they were pulled off the AlCan some were given a short leave before going to Camp Sutton South Carolina for more training in preparation for going overseas. From there I believe, this is from memory, they went to Camp Shanks in New York to stage before shipping out on the USS Sibony I think but can't be sure without my notes. They landed in England and the Regiment was split up by Companies to work building camps etc. to house the huge number of troops that were coming very soon. One Company operated a practice landing beach called Slapton Sands for the troops to practice for Omaha and Utah beaches.

Now is where your Dad may have been re-assigned or loaned out for D-Day because Company A came ashore on the 29th of June and started working on roads and improving the beach areas for supplies. They kept roads up until the Hedgerow breakout and from there were mainly assigned repairing/building railroad bridges because the need was for railroads to take the massive amount of supplies to the front.

The Battle of the Bulge found Company A on the Northern Shoulder and according to Mr. Oberbeck (A Company Commander) were for a time 3 miles in front of the Infantry holding a road in an effort to slow the German advance. Mr. Oberbeck told me that one night they captured a German patrol and the next day turned them over to the Infantry behind them. He said that was their only "Claim to Fame".

After the Bulge my Uncle and a few more were borrowed by a bridge repair Regiment to try to save the Remagen bridge which had been severely weakened by the Germans trying to blow it up and by the hurried tank/equipment traffic trying to get across in pursuit of the Germans. And on March 17,1945 the bridge fell into the Rhine and my Uncle was killed.

Hope I have not bored you with all this. If you would like to know where I finally located the books on the 341st. or any other was I can help just say the word. Either way keep in touch if you want.

Parker

========================

Dear Larry:

Not boring at all! Thank you so much. I have wrote a small letter in a Microsoft Word document to you (see post right above this one). If you don't have the capabilities to read it, let me know and I'll simply copy and paste it in another e-mail. I'm attaching two photos that were in my Dad's collection. One where he is standing on the left with two other gents. I suspect this looks like it may be his superiors in Boot Camp or something - I just don't know. The other is a picture of the monument I spoke about in the letter also attached.

Thanks again and I'll be in touch.

Sincerely, Russell H. Kvistad

Marion J Chard

1st photo

post-6-1172420177_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   38thEng.jpg (Size: 125.1 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

2nd photo provided

Notice this was one of the engineer units that I listed above as being at Normandy.

post-6-1172420203_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   38thEng2.jpg (Size: 280.85 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

2nd photo provided

Notice this was one of the engineer unit that I listed above as being at Normandy.

The monument from the 2nd photo is in Utah beach.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  343rd Engineer General Service Regiment hwhiting 51 57,557 03-22-2019, 11:19 AM
Last Post: CaptO
  Ruben Cohen - 38th Engineer Walt's Daughter 12 11,229 06-02-2018, 11:01 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  41st Engineer Regiment. colinhotham 17 20,613 05-08-2018, 12:48 AM
Last Post: Richard
  359th General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 12 24,347 03-10-2018, 09:50 AM
  351st General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 62 59,225 09-19-2017, 08:02 PM
  Info on Milton Brodsky and 346th Engineer General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 0 4,134 02-18-2016, 12:26 PM
  Military Railway Service angatti 6 8,278 02-14-2016, 11:06 PM
  Paul Meek - 368th Engineer General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 1 5,020 11-04-2014, 06:40 AM
Last Post: colinhotham
  General Moses and the Pontoon Bridge Walt's Daughter 2 4,397 01-15-2014, 09:56 AM
  special service engineers & rail engineers Ron Nash 17 586,884 11-15-2012, 10:43 AM