Ruben Cohen - 38th Engineer

Marion's note: I moved this to the WWII Engineer section - This was originally posted in the Research Help Section - Thanks!

This was posted by new member "Mack"

It sounds as if a photo was supposed to be attached to this post, but none was found in the original post.

=======================================================================================================================================

I'm wondering if anyone remembers my father his name was Ruben Cohen. He was in the 38th and is in the middle of the front row his instrument was the saxophone.

Even though his body and mind aren't the same when he was in WWII his recollection of things that happened are quite extraordinary. If anyone remembers him please contact me and maybe I can set up a call between two or more war buddies.

Till this day he has nothing but the highest of praise and regard for Col. Robert E. Coughlin.

He boxed for the army out of Fort Hancock and Fort Dix.

I remember going with him to reunions at Fort Belvoir and Lancaster. He also helped organize one in NYC approximately 45 years ago.

Till this day he refuses to eat chocolate because that was the main food he ate while serving.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

How interesting about the chocolate. I never heard that before - but I never asked either. Bet I ask now.

Thank you,

Jean

My father Ruben Cohen was in the front row middle. He played the saxophone in this band. Growing up in Brooklyn he still had the instrument even though he never played it to my recollection.

Today he spoke to William "Bill" Moore who also served in the 38th. Just imagine they served well over seventy years ago. I'm sure they will talk again as Mr. Moore took his number.

It was a special day for me hooking up two vets who can talk about their secret mission on Ascension Island.

post-1681-0-35726200-1379618685_thumb.jpg

post-1681-0-62416000-1379618698_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Dad band.JPG (Size: 30.01 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   dad band 2A.jpg (Size: 109.09 KB / Downloads: 0)

That is GREAT news. Thanks for sharing this happy occasion. I'm sure they had and will have plenty to talk about. Thanks for the band photos too. Cool!

Marion J Chard

How interesting about the chocolate. I never heard that before - but I never asked either. Bet I ask now.

Thank you,

Jean

I asked him yesterday and it was during the Battle of the Bulge not on Ascension Island.Growing up we either had a vanilla or twp cakes for occasions like birthdays. He broke down one time for my son and I could see how it was affecting him. He stated "if I get home alive I will never eat chocolate again".

That is GREAT news. Thanks for sharing this happy occasion. I'm sure they had and will have plenty to talk about. Thanks for the band photos too. Cool!

I found those photos on the net until my father saw them he didn't recall playing there. He said the band was quickly organized by a guy named Robert 'Bob" Duffy.

Hopefully when I finally (bad back) get to see him there should be some really nice pictures of Africa while he was serving. He recently told me they didn't allow pictures of Ascension Island in certain spots which I can't recall.

I know this is an old post but I'm happy to reply. My dad is the same Bob Duffy that is mentioned. In the photos, the second one, he is standing to the right on the stage,with an ever present cigarette. I have some of his scrapbook savings, and would love to hear from anyone with information to share. 

The band was called "The Wideawakes"

Well, isn't this cool! I just love when things like this transpire. If you want, simply click on Mack's username (when you are logged in) and send him a private message to make sure he knows about this. :-)

Marion J Chard

I am thrilled to hear from Robert "Bob" Duffy's son. After Colonel Coughlin,  my father (mhrip) talked about your dad more than anyone else in the 38th. He also wasn't the kind of person who dished out compliments fairly easy, so this was HIGH PRAISE. Even in his 90's he remembered your father as the band organizer and was its leader.

Did you attend any of the reunions in the 60's and 70's? The one that still stays with me was at Ft. Belvoir. Till this day the image of the 38th hugging each other like they were family members has never left me. I have never seen my father embrace family members like he did that afternoon. I even shook a generals hand though I have no idea who the person was.

Thank you for brightening my day as I still try to find out new information about the 38th and its history. If you ever feel like talking about what my father taught me and other things about the 38th I would love to hear from you.

As far as I know, William Moore is still alive at age 100+. I  briefly email with his daughter about once a year and the last time she told me his memory is starting to fade which is to be expected to a person that age. When I spoke to him our conversation lasted almost two hours and it wasn't filled with "fluff". He is an amazing man that keeps the story of the 38th alive and still in the conversation.

Below is one of my favorite pictures that were taken away from battle yet means a great deal to me. My dad used to tell me how he would give away a significant amount of his rations to the local population. As you can see many of the people from that era were emaciated. To me, this was another side of the war that never really was written about strongly. Human compassion meant a lot to my dad and all the members of the 38th. Even though this picture is almost 75 years old it carries a great message. GOOD will almost always TRIUMPH over evil though it might take some time.

Belgian Congo 5.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Belgian Congo 5.jpg (Size: 68.36 KB / Downloads: 0)

Hello Mack

Thank you for the kind praise of my Dad.  It’s a comfort to know he had such a profound effect on his military buddies. To be honest,  I only knew that the unit had a band, but had no idea he was involved in its formation. It’s funny that you mention your dad kept a saxophone but never played it. My story is similar.. my dad played the piano and drums. I never knew this until recently.

And only because I ran across a story in an old saved copy of a local civic associations newsletter that told of him playing for the neighborhood . 

My only musical memories of him are his playing “air”drums during movies when a big band played. 

I never really attended the reunions, as Mom and Pop usually went and left the kids to fend for themselves. I recall a few I went to in the 80s... Richmond Virginia, Lancaster Pennsylvania  , and Canton Ohio.  But yes I have to agree.... the closeness and love these men shared was incredible to witness. I have one photo of him at a reunion and the joy in his eyes is priceless. I’m sorry I didn’t realize how important it was at the time.

I don’t really know much of his military story. He (like most of the greatest generation ) kept the stories to himself. Also, I came along later in his life and I guess whatever stories he did tell about being a soldier were already told. My loss. 

I know much more about his life after WWII. I have photos and I’m trying to decipher his written journal pages. They are yellow and faded, making it a slow process. And His records were destroyed in the Washington fires. Searching the internet hasn’t been very fruitful either. Every bit of new information is a surprise.

I was always riding a motorcycle ... something he was against. Said I’d hurt myself. I recently found this photo of him

57B6F2E2-B684-439A-AEA4-F4918D97943F.jpeg

Attached Files
.jpeg   57B6F2E2-B684-439A-AEA4-F4918D97943F.jpeg (Size: 41.97 KB / Downloads: 0)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  38th Engineer General Service Regiment Jeff B. 13 18,243 04-22-2017, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  36th Engineer helmet found - Cohen Walt's Daughter 7 6,685 02-06-2014, 07:36 AM
  Lester M. Cohen 148th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 13 34,692 06-01-2007, 09:53 PM