175th Engineer Regiment

I am a new member here and I am looking for information on the 175th Engineer Regiment during the European African Middle Eastern Campaigns. My father in law was assigned to the regiment on 2 Nov 1942 and was with them til 3 Sep 1945. I am specifically looking for any Unit awards for the regiment such as Meritorious Unit Commendation, Joint Meritorious Unit Commendation, etc . He needs to show proof of one of these awards to qualify for a New York State Conspicuous Service Star. Any help would be appreciated.

Talk about timing. I just moved a foot locker full of my dad's Army files to my attic today. I came across a copy of a two volume work he had titled "Engineer History Mediterranean Theater Fifth Army" On the back cover is "Printed for Engineer Section Headquarters Fifth Army, Druckerei-Kamapanie 9507". Both volumes are marked "Confidential" but it is marked out with pencil. These have been in our family as long as I can remember.

Volume One covers Africa, Salerno and Naples, Volturno to May 11th, Anzio Beach head and May 11th to the Arno. Each volume has a section on the tactical situation, work at Engineer Headquarters and Unit Operations and list many of the units I see represented in this forum (531st Eng Shore Rgt, 540th Eng. Cbt Rgt (- Co.F) which was attached to the 82D ABN, 10th Eng Cbt Bn, 16th Armored Eng Bn for example)

Volume Two covers The Arno through the winter static phase, the Po campaign and Lessons Learned in teh Italian Campaign.

There was a Third volume which is titled Appencices but I have not come across that yet and doubt I have it.

I thought I would surf the net once again to see if there was any info on the 175th Engineers since I am compiling info for a family history and I came across this forum with your question about the 175th! So I joined the forum to see if I might assist.

Several years ago I contacted the US Army Engineer School Historian to see if there was still a 175th Engineer Rgt either active or Reserve or an organization or veterans group but only found that it had been deactivated at Camp Patrick Henry, VA (now the site of the Newport News, VA airport) in 1945 and that is that.

My late father, Harry Jones, was 1st Sgt of H&S Co. 175th Engineer Rgt, 5th US Army during Campaigns in North Africa, Sicily and Italy (6 campaign stars). He was a prolific photographer and I recall photos of groups of men on board the ship enroute and others that are packed away.

I believe the 175th may have earned one Meritorious Unit Citation and possibly two. My reason for believing this is that during WWII this was denoted by a small square patch with a gold wreath on it worn near the cuff on the right sleeve. I have a photo of my dad wearing one on his uniform in 1953. Only confusion is that when the photo was taken he had just left Korea. He had also been in the 30th Engineer Bn(TOPO) prior to Korea and I am not sure if it was earned by the 30th TOPO or the 175th. I will check the photos taken when he came home from WWII, when I can get to them (hopefully this week), to see if he wore the patch then. I also have some of his military records and any unit citation from that period should be noted on his DD214. He served 34 years active service retiring in 1974 as a Colonel. Not bad for a guy who joined the Florida National Guard in 1940 and believed that song of the time "Good by Dear, I'll Be Back in a Year"!

Yes, great timing! Welcome aboard. I'm sure timkins will be very pleased to hear from you! :pdt34:

I too have the volumes you speak of. In fact I have ALL three volumes and have gotten a lot of information and photos from them too.

The three-volume set was kindly given to me by my dear friend Al Kincer of the great 48th Combat Engineer Bn. I love the maps that are included too. Great detail. Even shows where they constructed baileys, cleaned up mined areas, etc.

Several years ago I contacted the US Army Engineer School Historian to see if there was still a 175th Engineer Rgt either active or Reserve or an organization or veterans group but only found that it had been deactivated at Camp Patrick Henry, VA (now the site of the Newport News, VA airport) in 1945 and that is that.

You say you contacted the school. Did you contact the Army Corps of Engineers Historian's Office? They have folders on virtually every WWII engineer unit. That is where I amassed a wealth of info on my dad's unit.

You can also obtain the de-classified docs from the National Archives. I hired a private researcher to gather ALL the documents on the 540th Combat Engineers from College Park, Maryland. I ONLY have 2/3's of the docs right now and they total approximately 1500 pages. I am using this info for the site and for the book I am writing on the VI Corps Engineers.

Let me know if you have any questions. Always happy to help out the family members of our engineers. :pdt20:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

WOW! I am a virtual rookie at this stuff. I have not contacted the "CORPS" but will do that. I got motivated and dug through my dad's foot locker (there is WWII, Korea and Viet Nam stuff in it) and found Volumn 3 of the Engineer History, an invasion arm band flag, 1st Army, 7th Army and what appear to be locally made (in theater) 5th Army patches. There is also a Bill Mauldin book with an intro by Ernie Pyle called Mud Mules and Mountains, Cartoons of the A.E.F. in Italy. I think this is a great forum and wish I had found it long ago. Keep up the good work. I am glad you have the books because I was trying to type some stuff to answer some questions and it took me half the night. Typing not a skill.

Well if typing is not your skill, then you could have fooled us. Good job. :lol: My husband started off at typing level, hunt and peck. He says he has gone up a level and is now at advanced hunt and peck. :lol: Gotta love it.

Thank God I'm a very fast typist or all this would be a royal pain in da you-know-what.

I am very happy that you are enjoying our forum and our site. I have lots more planned for the future and hopefully when I am done with the re-design this winter, it will be even easier to get around.

Sounds like you opened a treasure chest. Wish I was sitting beside you going through all these wonderful items.

Can't wait to hear and see more. Thank you for your contributions. :)

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I have scanned over 50 pages of a book about the story of the 175th Engineer Regiment's building of the Po River Bridge in 1945. Not sure how I should post it here of if this is the right place to do that. I am new to this media. (never "talked" to anyone via a website). I do not want to jam up anything so I will insert it page by page. I am sure I will be told if that is the incorrect way to do it.

Personal note: In 1965 while stationed in Orleans, France, my father, mother and sister took a camping vacation to the site of this bridge. Although the bridge had been replaced sometime during the ensuing 20 years, they were able to camp a short distance from the bivouac site where the regiment had stayed during the construction. Don't know how many 175th vets are still around but it has been my observation that Engineer Soldiers during WWII tended to be a bit older than the infantrymen. My guess is that many enlisted Engineers were skilled journeymen prior to service and therefore more "seasoned" than a draftee or non skilled Soldier. Any thoughts on this?

post-6-1138466317_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Wallet_WWII_Po_River_Bridge_4.jpg (Size: 66.73 KB / Downloads: 0)

Well that did not work as anticipated. That was page 4. I tried to group some pages. I guess I will have to do it one page at a time.

post-6-1138466404_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Wallet_WWII_Po_River_Bridge_Cover.jpg (Size: 252.84 KB / Downloads: 0)

In Memoriam

post-6-1138466495_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Wallet_WWII_Po_River_Bridge_1.jpg (Size: 70.87 KB / Downloads: 0)

Allocation of work.

post-6-1138466573_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Wallet_WWII_Po_River_Bridge_2.jpg (Size: 140.7 KB / Downloads: 0)

Table of Contents

post-6-1138466629_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Wallet_WWII_Po_River_Bridge_3.jpg (Size: 63.23 KB / Downloads: 0)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  343rd Engineer General Service Regiment hwhiting 51 57,566 03-22-2019, 11:19 AM
Last Post: CaptO
  41st Engineer Regiment. colinhotham 17 20,622 05-08-2018, 12:48 AM
Last Post: Richard
  359th General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 12 24,353 03-10-2018, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  351st General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 62 59,248 09-19-2017, 08:02 PM
  38th Engineer General Service Regiment Jeff B. 13 18,245 04-22-2017, 10:57 AM
  Info on Milton Brodsky and 346th Engineer General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 0 4,134 02-18-2016, 12:26 PM
  Paul Meek - 368th Engineer General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 1 5,020 11-04-2014, 06:40 AM
Last Post: colinhotham
  94th General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 0 2,264 08-13-2012, 05:46 PM
  History of the 344th Engineer General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 5 9,573 04-16-2012, 02:35 PM
  Captain Beswick Wray--92nd Engineer GS Regiment David Angell 13 14,679 09-13-2011, 07:42 AM