Harry H. Birkby - 36th Combat Engineer

My uncle, Harry H. Birkby, was a member of the 36th from the time he was drafted in '41 until he mustered out in '46. I grew up hearing a lot of stories about the guys he served with, but nothing about combat.

After I grew up, and went into the Navy, I found out about what combat engineers do. My time in the service confirmed a conviction I had already formed that the more war stories, the more likely you're talking to a REMF.

If anyone knows anything about my uncle, I'd love to hear it.

Hi:

Glad to have you here. I will pass your info along to the other members of the 36th and their families.

Have you had a chance to look around the site and view some of the info on the 36th such as John Fallons page?

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/johnfallon.htm

Their is also some history of the 36th on the Stories Page

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/history.htm

More will be placed on the site as time permits. I don't know if you are aware, but I am writing a book on the 36th, 39th and 540th and hope to have it done within the next couple of years.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Welcome aboard Charlie; After you have been around a while, you will find that our Marion is a tiger at leading you to people who can answer your questions. She's tops with us and soon she will be to you.

chucktoo

Hello Charlie!

I am a newbie myself , but already very comfortable here so Welcome! ;)

Jim

I've never bumped a 6 year old thread before but at the Saugus Swap Meet in Santa Clarita, CA I bought Harry H. Birkby's WW2 duffel bag. I found this thread while trying to research the name and am hoping that frcharlie (Charles H. Birkby) will still be contactable after so many years. I've sent him a PM but if anyone else might know of a way to contact him that would be fantastic. My uncle (well, great uncle) was a Marine during WW2 who died in a Japanese prison camp so I especially want to be able to return this bag to the rightful owner and get it to his nephew.

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

Welcome to the forum. It was great getting your email, explaining why you wanted to be part of this forum. I was so surprised and pleased when I saw the photos of the duffel bag. Where in the world did you find it?

Steven, I hope we can get in touch with him too. It has been six years, but you never know. Stranger things have happened on this forum. I think we must be charmed, well at least we have a few guardian angels hovering overhead.

Marion J Chard

Hello Charlie!

I am a newbie myself , but already very comfortable here so Welcome!

Jim

Funny to think of our Dogdaddy as a newbie!!

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

:waving: Ya, I didn't even think about that.

What's funny too is to think that a post on our forum could be SIX years old. WOW, where has the time flown. Incredible.

I can remember talking with a few people and we were wondering if we'd ever get to 20 members. That was a real dream. Heck, I wondered if the forum was just a passing fancy and...

Marion J Chard

Houston we have lift-off!

I was able to reach FRCharlie and he has contacted Steven. Will let everyone know what transpires.

Wow, can't believe we made contact after six long years. What a week it's been on the forum. Call me happy!

Marion J Chard

LOL, I thought the same thing about Jim... guess everyone was new at one time or another.

Can't wait to hear more of this story!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  160th Engineer Combat Battalion WW II ( new member) Joe Miga 119 137,048 01-27-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: glen blasingim
  Hello Everyone 257th Combat Engineer rvermar 2 3,381 09-24-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: BRosen21
  292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) arden 617 520,177 05-15-2023, 10:44 AM
Last Post: Sir Gator
  283rd Engineer Combat Battalion (Grandson) 283rdCombatEngineers 3 4,972 06-12-2019, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  1264th Engineer Combat Battalion John 48 58,682 05-28-2019, 12:02 PM
  Great Grandson of WWII Combat Engineer Brendan 1 3,094 10-23-2018, 01:07 PM
  Daughter of an Engineer William (nmi) Carr in the 291st Co B Combat Engineers Hello Everone! blueshockeynut 34 26,669 07-27-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Curlock
  Robert E Waters 291st Combat Engineer Bn golfersa 2 3,994 06-09-2018, 09:41 AM
Last Post: golfersa
  Hello All. Grandson of 292nd Combat Engineer here, Introducing myself. Joel 18 17,006 06-22-2016, 06:26 PM
Last Post: buk2112
  1260 Combat Engineer Battalion Danny 15 17,988 11-24-2014, 08:51 AM