Forums

Full Version: Harry H. Birkby - 36th Combat Engineer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

My uncle, Harry H. Birkby, was a member of the 36th from the time he was drafted in '41 until he mustered out in '46. I grew up hearing a lot of stories about the guys he served with, but nothing about combat.

After I grew up, and went into the Navy, I found out about what combat engineers do. My time in the service confirmed a conviction I had already formed that the more war stories, the more likely you're talking to a REMF.

If anyone knows anything about my uncle, I'd love to hear it.

Hi:

Glad to have you here. I will pass your info along to the other members of the 36th and their families.

Have you had a chance to look around the site and view some of the info on the 36th such as John Fallons page?

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/johnfallon.htm

Their is also some history of the 36th on the Stories Page

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/history.htm

More will be placed on the site as time permits. I don't know if you are aware, but I am writing a book on the 36th, 39th and 540th and hope to have it done within the next couple of years.

chucktoo1926

Welcome aboard Charlie; After you have been around a while, you will find that our Marion is a tiger at leading you to people who can answer your questions. She's tops with us and soon she will be to you.

chucktoo

Hello Charlie!

I am a newbie myself , but already very comfortable here so Welcome! ;)

Jim

I've never bumped a 6 year old thread before but at the Saugus Swap Meet in Santa Clarita, CA I bought Harry H. Birkby's WW2 duffel bag. I found this thread while trying to research the name and am hoping that frcharlie (Charles H. Birkby) will still be contactable after so many years. I've sent him a PM but if anyone else might know of a way to contact him that would be fantastic. My uncle (well, great uncle) was a Marine during WW2 who died in a Japanese prison camp so I especially want to be able to return this bag to the rightful owner and get it to his nephew.

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

Welcome to the forum. It was great getting your email, explaining why you wanted to be part of this forum. I was so surprised and pleased when I saw the photos of the duffel bag. Where in the world did you find it?

Steven, I hope we can get in touch with him too. It has been six years, but you never know. Stranger things have happened on this forum. I think we must be charmed, well at least we have a few guardian angels hovering overhead.

Hello Charlie!

I am a newbie myself , but already very comfortable here so Welcome!

Jim

Funny to think of our Dogdaddy as a newbie!!

:waving: Ya, I didn't even think about that.

What's funny too is to think that a post on our forum could be SIX years old. WOW, where has the time flown. Incredible.

I can remember talking with a few people and we were wondering if we'd ever get to 20 members. That was a real dream. Heck, I wondered if the forum was just a passing fancy and...

Houston we have lift-off!

I was able to reach FRCharlie and he has contacted Steven. Will let everyone know what transpires.

Wow, can't believe we made contact after six long years. What a week it's been on the forum. Call me happy!

LOL, I thought the same thing about Jim... guess everyone was new at one time or another.

Can't wait to hear more of this story!!

Pages: 1 2