160th Engineer Combat Battalion WW II ( new member)

Michael, this is great. The names you have fit mine when they are identified by both of us. We have one disagreement, that is you call number 96 Pfc Corley and Dad called him Pfc Korol. I remember that Dad even spelled his name correctly. I sent an e-mail to James Corley"s son and asked him if he could identify his Dad as engineer number 96, and James Young as number 121 ( his Dad and James Young lived close to each other and were acquainted after the war). I would think that the other names are correct and we should probably add them to the identified list. Still digesting. There is a picture of James N. Corley in our post dated Dec. 13, 2015. See if you can find a match. I will let you know as soon as I hear from his son.

Glen Blasingim

I wondered when I was typing list if some of the names might be nicknames as happens a lot in military. I did not try to check anything as I did the list, just copied as written. Thanks for all you do for this group of Veterans. As I have spent some time checking the pics I see that my Dad also identified #83 as Pvt Corley and I could not rule out that is James Corley. 

Michael, I have not heard from James Corley's son. I am going to start adding the names of the engineers that your Dad has identified. I have searched through them and cannot find any reason why they would not be accurate. I appreciate that these identifications were made by your Dad while he was around these guys on a daily basis. Thanks so much for the contribution and the interest. Stay in touch. Anything that I learn and can add, I will. If any of your relatives or friends remember anything your Dad might have told them we are interested so please share it with us.

Glen Blasingim

Thanks, I do believe that the James Corley identified as #83 is the one in the picture you referenced. I have heard back from National Archives a couple of weeks ago and unfortunately they said his records were lost in the fire they had some years ago. It seems at some point he was transferred to Co K 104th Infantry Regiment that is listed on his burial record and a shoulder patch of the Yankee Division is part of the Military keepsakes we have. I'm afraid this is all I will ever know as so much time has passed. Thanks again and be sure to let me know of any new developments.

Michael

Michael, I have a question about no 71. Your list calls him Pfc Tood. I do not show a Tood on B company roster but I do show two Todds. Would you check and see if it could possibly be Todd?

Glen Blasingim

Yes, it is Todd. My typo.

Thanks Michael. Numbers 69 and 71 both could be one of two engineers. I listed them like your Dad did but I can't narrow it down. Maybe Wayne Nichols, nephew of Robert Nichols will weigh in on this. I do not have a way to contact him, he might see this and respond.

This memory of my Dad's comes to mind occasionally. It is something he remembered after so many years so I will share it. Harold G. Baxter, Tec5, from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania was the only man that could get B Company together in one place. When the brass called the company together Dad said they usually got about 75%, or less. The engineers didn't have a lot of interest in words from the top, company news or attaboys. But when word got around that Harold was calling the get together, 600+ engineers gathered around ( the Colonel learned to take advantage of this ). His secret word was mailcall. Letters and packages from home were what every engineers heart needed.

Harold is shown in this picture with some of his friends. He is kneeling in the front on the viewers left.

1210119357_Tl-rPrinz-Landrith-O.G.sCousinBl-rBaxter-O.G.Anderson.thumb.jpg.8dc65cd7fc5c776f1d7076462c6662b4.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   T,l-r Prinz-Landrith-O.G.'s Cousin B,l-r Baxter-O.G. Anderson.jpg (Size: 533.38 KB / Downloads: 0)

I found my Dad's discharge papers and enlisted record. In researching his military history I found this site. His name was Dominick Tedesco from the Bronx, NY. He passed away in 2001. He was a Tec 5 in Company B of the 160th Engineer Combat Battalion. In researching the site I don't see his name on the company roster or his picture in the Company B group shot. He didn't talk much about his experience in the war but thanks to this site I learned a lot of what he and his fellow soldiers experienced. I've been sending some of the accounts of the war from this site to my son so he now knows what his grandfather experienced. I've attached my Dad's picture in the event that someone out there might have known him.

DTedesco.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   DTedesco.jpg (Size: 5.8 KB / Downloads: 1)

On 12/17/2017 at 11:54 AM, glen blasingim said:

That is a great way to remember people you have served with. Your photograph quality is better and being digital it won't fade. That will be appreciated, I already do. I noticed that their are several weapons configurations in the Photograph. I am just curious, what is standard issue? Do Marines have a choice? There is so much available for that gun, I wondered what the Marines found useful and reliable.

So when this thread became active again, I started reading through it and found I hadn't answered this question. How careless of me!! So here we go:

Accounting for the difference in weapons and configurations . . . So let's start with the basics. The Marine Corps fire team is made of four members (caveat, the USMC has been toying around with different configurations, but what I am going to talk about is the still standard for rifle company organization). There is a FT leader who carries an M-16 with an M203 grenade launcher; a machine gunner who carries a light MG (M249 SAW in the past and is pictured here, now an M27 IAR); an assistant machine gunner who carries extra barrels if required and ammo who carries an M-16; and a rifleman who carries an M-16 and is normally the junior member of the team. So right there you have three different weapons systems - M-16 (or sometimes an M-4 carbine, a shorter version of an M-16 with a collapsible stock), an M-16 with the grenade launcher and the LMG. Add to that, that the M-16s we carried at the time were actually not the typical M-16A2s that I was familiar with (semi-auto or three round burst only - the A1, which I never used, was capable of full auto). We actually were using M-16A4s (not to be confused with M4s which are different). These had the Picatinny rail system that allowed attachment of all different kinds of accessories. I didn't see any obvious ones in the pictures, but some of the guys carried night vision IR laser aiming devices, IR flood lights, visible wavelength flashlights, etc. One of my guys, who was an avid shooter in his normal, back home life, had the scope that is readily visible. That was a civilian addition his dad sent him and was not military issue, but it was designed to be mounted on his Picatinny rail on his M-16A4.

Now to your second question, did Marines have a choice: In 2004, I would say they certainly did in most cases. Typically, only infantry Marines who have passed sniper school and are serving in a sniper or recon position have scopes of that sort. Now at that time, we were just getting fielded the Advanced Combat Optic Gunsight (or ACOG) which is barely visible on some of the A4s. This is very different than the large sniper type sight the Marine has and is designed for quick acquisition of targets (i.e. from the time you lift the rifle to your eye to the point you can see the target and engage) and only magnifies vision up to 6 times. The Marine in question had a civilian purchased, probably up 20 times magnified sniper scope. This was certainly not "standard issue" and as the platoon commander, I certainly could have said he couldn't carry it. Of course as far as I was concerned, that would have been stupid because it gave the platoon an asset that we didn't have without it. No one higher up than me had an issue, so it stayed. I would say that at that time there was probably a fair amount of non-standard issue items being carried. My drop holster and three point sling were purchased at a tactical supply store in Jacksonville, NC because the USMC didn't have any to issue. You will also notice in pictues of me at that time that I have a desert Camel Bak but everyone else had a green one. This is because 3/24 (Third Battalion, 24th Marine Regiment - the reserve unit to which I was assigned to augment their personnel) had been given green ones, but I had purchased a desert one personally the spring before.

Here are some more pictures of that deployment.

Hopefully that was interesting enough to be worth reading!

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello Everyone 257th Combat Engineer rvermar 2 3,484 09-24-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: BRosen21
  292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) arden 617 531,627 05-15-2023, 10:44 AM
Last Post: Sir Gator
  283rd Engineer Combat Battalion (Grandson) 283rdCombatEngineers 3 5,079 06-12-2019, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  1264th Engineer Combat Battalion John 48 59,593 05-28-2019, 12:02 PM
  Great Grandson of WWII Combat Engineer Brendan 1 3,158 10-23-2018, 01:07 PM
  Daughter of an Engineer William (nmi) Carr in the 291st Co B Combat Engineers Hello Everone! blueshockeynut 34 27,365 07-27-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Curlock
  Robert E Waters 291st Combat Engineer Bn golfersa 2 4,084 06-09-2018, 09:41 AM
Last Post: golfersa
  Hello All. Grandson of 292nd Combat Engineer here, Introducing myself. Joel 18 17,406 06-22-2016, 06:26 PM
Last Post: buk2112
  Hello everyone from new member malcal1211 Saddleblanket 8 7,866 08-09-2015, 06:19 AM
  405th Engineer Water Supply Battalion Lloyd 2 8 15,840 06-17-2015, 03:39 PM