Vet recalls intense fighting in Italy

Talking about our howitzers. When the Germans counterattacked at Salerno if it hadn't been for the 151st. Field Artillery the Germans would have drove the 36th Divn. back to the beach. That's history, not say so.

I'll quote you some History to support your point.

First two quotes are from the US Army history series, volume entitled "Salerno to Cassino".

Prompt action by the 151st Field Artillery Battalion dispersed this tank attack. A battery recently arrived on shore sited a piece on a beach exit road to obtain an emergency field of fire. Because trail spades could get no purchase in the hard surface of the road, each round fired drove the gun into the ditch. This piece then had to be manhandled back to its firing position. Brig.-Gen. Miles A. Cowles, the division artillery commander, helped the gun crew. "He shifted trails with the efficiency of a finished cannoneer," the sergeant later remarked, "the highest priced number five man" the sergeant had ever commanded and also one of the most dexterous and cooperative."

{Footnote on page 145}

Between 9 and 17 September, the 151st Field Artillery Battalion expended 10,500 rounds, over 2,500 shells more than the total fired by the battalion during the entire Tunisia Campaign. {It continues to state} Engineers performing as infantrymen were the 531st Engineer Shore Regiment; the 2n Battalion, 337th Engineer General Service Regiment; the 111th and 120th Engineer Combat Battalions; and the 36th Engineer Combat Regiment.

Quote from "Calculated Risk" by Gen. Mark Clark

Under great difficulties, heavy weapons were being landed by dawn. Ducks brought in 105-mm howitzers of the 133rd Field Artillery Battalion, and the 151st Field Artillery Battalion landed at 6 a.m., just in time to beat off a dangerous German tank assault on the beachhead. The veteran 531st Shore Engineers began organizing the communication and supply lines, and bulldozer men, ignoring a steady fire which inflicted many casualties among them, built exit routes for vehicles to move from the beaches through the sand dunes.

Quoted from "Salerno; A Military Fiasco" by Eric Morris

However, before General Walker could get down to his job, he had further ordeal to face. The Germans launched another tank attack. At about 1145 hours, 13 Panzers -- Mark III's and Mark IV's -- came down Highway 18 from the north and moved against Casa Vannulo and the divisional command post itself.

{Then it describes how a bazooka team was deployed to slow down the tanks--this was a new weapon for the Germans. Then a company of old French 75mm cannons of 1914 vintage were deployed---not exactly an anti-tank weapon.}

Fresh support arrived in the form of a 105 mm howitzer belonging to the 151st Field Artillery. This gun was towed into action by a DUKW, and it deployed on the track that led from the higway to Casa Vannulo. The combined fire of the howitzer and Wittaker's 75mm broke up the panzer assault; five tanks were destroyed, and the remainder beat a hasty retreat.

Last, from "The Texas Army" by Robert L. Wagner

During the morning hours several tank attacks were sustained by the 36th Division infantry. These were beaten off by bazooka and naval gunfire. At 10:20 a.m. near the 142nd CP, an enemy attack of twelve to fifteen tanks developed. As luck would have it, a 105mm howitzer, pulled by a 2-1/2 ton DUKW suddenly appeared from the beaches. The gun was quickly wheeled into position, naked of concealment, and proceeded to knock out 5 tanks, one after another. This one gun largely succeeded in breaking up the attack. When daylight had arrived, the Air Force joined in.

{Of course this Texas historian is too proud to say this gun was part of the 34th Division.}

Hope that history helps. ;)

Steve

Damn! I got me an ally. Thanks Steve.

Now see what can you read about Kasserine Pass, Sened Station, Fondouk,

hill 609 Sidi Bel Abez. Rocky

Joe, thanks for the backup, didyou get my e-mail?

Marion, did my buddy Watson B.Jones ever join? I asked him to

do it. HE ISANOTHER 1st Bn. 135th Regt. RedBull. Rocky

Joe,j3rdinf. He was our Co. runner. Roque

Rocky:

Haven't heard from your friend yet. I forwarded our correspondence to him again and thought I'd hear back from him by now, but... Well I am still looking forward to seeing him here. I really hope he will jump in. :bluejumper:

Hey Rocky and Joe: How about :zelda::zelda: chicken dinner at my house? :lol::lol:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Roque: Hope your buddy shows up in the forum. Only E mail I recieved is forewards.

Dont think my old buddy Recon is doing too well. No answere to my E mails so am calling him tomorro to check up on him. Sure would love to get together with you and Marion for a chicken dinner but I am not much on traveling far anymore.

I am going to e-mail him right now, maybe I'll call him and see

what's the delay. Chicken dinner, sounds good but I'll tell you what

Marion, every time you take a bite, think about these two

DOGFACES! I think I'll treat MaMa and take her to K.F.C.!!!!

Ketch me later. Roque

:D When I am preparing my new chicken recipe tomorrow, I will have a toast to my two gents and think of you. :drinkin:

Oh, Rocky, I am going to mail the book on Monday. Anytime you want to call is fine with me. I would be delighted to talk to you. You can find my address and my phone number on the CONTACT PAGE on the main site. I'm always happy to talk to MY VETS. If I am not available for some reason, then please leave a message and I will return your call. I look forward to our talk.

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/contactme.htm

Marion J Chard

Dont think my old buddy Recon is doing too well. No answere to my E mails so am calling him tomorro to check up on him.

I am so very sorry to hear that. I haven't heard from him at all either. In fact it has been many months. When you talk to him, please send him my best. I think of him often. Thanks.

Marion J Chard

Yeah, Watson has signed in, and is now a member of our forum. Hey Dogfaces, now you have to pitch in and lend him any help he needs around here. You are hardened veterans of this forum now and can lend aid to our newbies! :gang:

Marion J Chard

HI ,

MY NAME IS ,WATSON J0NES,NEW MEMBER.

I WAS IN THE SAME COMPANY OF THE 34TH DIVISION,WITH ROQUE RIJOIS DURING THE ITALIAN CAMPAIGN. HE PUT ME OWN TO YOUR SITE,AND I THINK IT IS WONDERFUL.

WHEN WE WERE IN ITALY ,I SEEN SOME JOBS THE COMBAT ENGINEERS WERE HAVING TO DO,THAT I AM GLAD I WAS NOT ON THOSE MISSIONS. IT WASN'T A VERY HEALTHY ENVIREMENT.

I DON'T KNOW IF ROCKY( ,THAT IS WHAT WE CALLED HIM),WILL EVEN TALK TO ME SINCE HE GOT HIS PICTURE WITH THE BUSH'S.

YOU WILL HAVE TO EXCUSE MY TYPING AND PUNCTUATION,IAM NOT VERY GOO D AT EITHER.

REGARDS,

WATSON JONES

HAMLET NORTH CAROLINA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  387th Engineer Battalion in Italy FSavage 3 3,445 04-03-2022, 05:47 PM
Last Post: FSavage
  WWII veteran recalls fighting at Cassino, Anzio Walt's Daughter 2 5,056 06-13-2012, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Photo of 34th Monument - Italy - 2010 Walt's Daughter 0 3,394 08-24-2010, 09:01 AM
  Found!!!! Picture of my Father in Italy `44 Wendy 5 7,371 06-04-2007, 10:56 PM
Last Post: SonofaMP
  This Day in History - Italy March 12, 1944 Walt's Daughter 3 6,282 05-25-2007, 05:19 PM
  Cassino, Italy Walt's Daughter 16 15,582 09-12-2006, 11:58 PM
  The 88th in Italy Walt's Daughter 1 3,962 04-03-2006, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Custermen