Forums

Full Version: Vet recalls intense fighting in Italy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

I like to hear more. He was with the 91st Division and that occured during the fighting norht of Rome but before they reached the Arno River.

I may try to contact him and get an interview to add to my website.

Steve

Another salt of the earth citizen soldier...He reminds me so much of my late father and his friends. Thank you for sharing this story. ;)

Jim :woof:

Interesting story. Cute couple, he reminds me of my grandpa in his plaid shirt.

Brooke

My recent library addition is a unit history entitled "History of the 363rd Infantry Regiment" by Strootman. This is a nice book with good details and a roster of the soldiers in the Regiment and associated 347 Field Artillery Battalion, Co C of 316 Engineer Battalion and Co C of 316 Medical Battalion.

I searched thru the pages of the roster for Pfc Newman Hodgson (mentioned in the Texarkana article) and had no luck finding his name. I just wanted to check his company and see if he was awarded any decorations.

In the article, it refers to "363rd Battalion" and a little further down to his battalion's casualties. It is a little confusing if he is referring to a battalion size unit or a Regiment. One of the 3 regiments of the 91st Division was the 363rd Infantry Regiment.

Also, the commander of the Regiment was Col. W. Fulton Magill, Jr., who wrote an intro for this unit history book. Not McGill.

I emailed the reporter who interviewed him asking if I could contact him. But have yet to receive an answer.

Steve

This morning I was driving into work and calling my co-worker to explain why I'm late. Then my cell phone rang. I was surprised that it was the reporter from the Texarkana Gazette replying to my email.

I emailed the reporter who interviewed him asking if I could contact him. But have yet to receive an answer.

He will try to pass my email along to the Veteran so that I can contact him directly.

Steve

Superb news Steve. Keep us posted!

Marion: I think if anyone knows about the fighting in Italy it would be Roque. I was lucky having missed all of Italian campaign and joined the 3rd Inf Div in France as a Infantry casualty replacement after the 3rd Inf Div. moved into France, then through Germany and into Austria. Roques 34th Div was left in Italy to continue the fighting there without the 3rd, 36th and 45th Div plus some others. Perhaps he will add to the

Italian campaign as he knows it well. Hint, hint, Roque.. Hey Roque, some of us had

to check out those Mamsells and Frauelines and raid the good booze caches in France, Germany and Austria in the places we took. Isnt that the job a dogface rifleman is supposed to do??

Hi Joe! Just read your post. That is a tall order you are asking for. I will say

the 34th was qualified for the job it was called to do. We landed at Salerno,

Italy Sept. '43 but the 36th went in before us and were backed up by the

151st Field Artillery Battery The 151st. was the battery attached to the 135th

(our regt).

Anyway the 36th went in and established a beachhead but the Germans

countered and drove them back but the 151st was in position so when the

Germans got close they (the 151st) lowered their howitsers and BORE SIGHTED, and

knocked out the German tanks and stopped them. That,s history.

when we came ashore, 135th and 168th pushed thru the 45th and headed for

Benevento then came our first river crossing, (Calore River). Then came

the town of Montemarano. The Germans said Howdy in German and greeted

us with armored infantry, artillery and self propelled 88's . Then came---

Chiusano,Benevento, another river crossing, (Volturno River)then on

Oct. we reached another town, (Alvignano) This is where we found out that

we were up against the 3rd Panzer Grenadier Division which included the

dreaded 1V tank wich mounted an 88mm canon, Joe do remember them?

I could go on and on but I just am not up to all this writing. The best I can

say is go to the library or get the book "DOGFACES WHO SMILED THROUGH

TEARS".

As far as battle stars, Man to numerous to mention but the battles

were made into campaigns and as a result I got five of them. The town of

Cassino and Monte Cassino, Anzio,Bologna, and I haven't even even

mentioned all the mountain fighting. The 10th Mountain was on our right

flank. And I salute Senator Bob Dole of the 10th. Mtn. Divn. They all wore

white parkas and helmets, I tried to get a parka but no luck. Another

thing. On Christmas Eve, of '43, we relieved the 36th Divn. at ST.Pietro

So damn many mountains and cold,cold,cold. Two pair of woolens on and a

blanket. For water we melted snow Mule trains were slow in getting to us.

Enough for now, Joe did I bend your ear a Little? Talk to later buddy.Roque

Marion can you put my post together? I don't know what happened.

thanx, Roque

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6