291st Co B Combat Infantry 'Engineers 75th Div

good mornn from texas

continuing search on  the 291st Co B combat Infantry 75 th Div

searching for  any exsisting soldiers in this unit  my birth dad was also in this unit 

an further info on this unit  

Thank you

kitty

Hi..

Have you tried the National Archives for regimental unit records that would include Co. B?  Sometimes you can find BN records too..so you would want 1st BN.  You can also inquire if the Records Center in St. Louis might have Company Morning Reports that would show the flow of men into and out of the Company.

As far as living members are concerned,  the search is more difficult and hit and miss.  If you have any WWII era addresses, you can begin by checking with local postmasters at those addresses.   I suspect you have already tried any historical associations.   Have you tried putting a notice in the American Legion, DAV or VFW magazines?  

If you want additional information about Company B men, many States offer discharge records at a small price.  These records are either held in the county of WWII residence OR by a State Archive in the State of WWII residence.

Not sure any of this helps, but hope that it does.  I tried most of these steps searching for members of my father's unit...but this was starting in the 1970's.  And I have followed the same practice using merchant marine records in my search for crews and passengers on board a particular freighter during the war.

theron

Oh btw, the 291st was NOT part of any division. The unit was referred to as a "bastard" unit, just like my father's engineering regiment. What it means is that they were independent and were free to float or used where needed. They were under the jurisdiction of a Corps or Army. Sometimes these units were attached to divisions/regiments, etc., but these were always temporary assignments. 

There is a lot of info on the 291st on our site and you can find more by typing "291st" into the main site's search engine and the forum's  search engine. There are also two great books, First Across the Rhine and Engineering the Victory by Col David Pergrin. 

Best place to obtain Co B records is from NARA in Maryland. Please see their website for further information. 

:)

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I misread the post.  I thought it said infantry, not engineers.

There is quite a bit of material, including a book written by the wife of one of the men.  There are also references to it in the US Army's History of the Ardennes

BUT...as you noted, the best place to go is NARA..and also morning reports for each Company if they still exist in St, Louis.

Yes, morning reports in St Louis and unit reports in Maryland. There is no lack of material on this unit! One of the most famous engineer bns from WWII. 

Marion J Chard

happy thanksgiving yall.

been busy on my care boxes an cards for my   soldiers.. christmas is such a real busy time as a team member of soldiers angels

yes i have my dad's va file an it has the 75th div connected to the said company.. i guess the Goverment & army got it wrong according to what yall are telling me ...Interesting

and have been tryin to find as to why he recieved a purple heart I know many men also got the bronze star which he did also..l have all his service medals... as a daughter

i know he was in the battle of the aredennes  battle of the bulge..& the colomar packet

i always appreciate further info  on this unit & the men in it.. 

kind regards.

kitty

theron

yes that is listed in there as well combat infantry...

not sure as to why..

kitty

Yes i been thru several of what you have mention  the ron..

im taking time off as a truck driver i hadnt much time to  search here last few years,

i even found a 1/2 sister born in scotland  & we were friends for a while lol she was born in 47 over there as i could figure out when he was in the field hospitals of england  he & her  mother got together & was friends with her until her passin several years back...

so its been an interesting road.. i started this  when i didnt even have a computer all pen & page lol & help from a good  nam vet counsuler friend of mine..

He may have journeyed home with the 75th Inf Div. Not all men sailed home with their stated units. 

Marion J Chard

In fact, this happened a lot.  'high point' men were often transferred out of their original units to a  unit on the way back to the States in order to be sent home.

A number of high point men in the unit I studied had this happen.  At discharge, the men were asked specific information that found its way onto discharge papers, including unit designation.  So, it seems that  some of the men I studied used the most recent unit while most of the men used the unit in which they served the most time.  For my father, he used the 978th because he was sent home directly from that unit.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  149th Combat Engineers Walt's Daughter 6 869,804 07-21-2019, 07:31 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Looking for ANY Vets That was In the 291st,, blueshockeynut 4 6,796 11-24-2018, 05:32 AM
Last Post: colinhotham
  Pictures Of My Grandfather 1132nd Combat Engineers remo93 7 7,746 07-25-2018, 01:27 PM
  Info 133rd combat engineers battalion Benrist 10 11,832 06-18-2018, 07:34 PM
Last Post: mollymgen
  157th combat engineers VickiFre 3 6,125 04-17-2018, 07:32 AM
  Fred G. Dougherty Jr. 33156198 61st Engineers Combat Battalion BobbyMunizza3 3 4,979 04-25-2017, 10:41 AM
  Lynn Harris 282nd Combat Engineers WWII brisenoal 14 13,305 01-30-2017, 09:25 AM
  James Phillip Regan, 2756th Combat Engineers, Company A Mike M. 27 24,877 04-03-2016, 10:39 AM
  Earl Arnold Brady, Company B 202nd Combat Engineers Bob Pagini 10 10,889 02-20-2016, 11:12 AM
Last Post: Ross
  Delbert L. Cline, 291st engineer combat battalion Bard 5 8,571 01-22-2016, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Bard