Earl Arnold Brady, Company B 202nd Combat Engineers

Hi!

I am hoping someone might be able to help me. I am looking for any information, memories and, if possible, a photograph of my Grandfather Earl Arnold Brady. As far as I'm able to ascertain he joined the US Army in 1941 and found himself in Company B of the 202nd Combat Engineers. He was for a time stationed in or around the environs of the town of Helensburgh in Scotland for a period during the war.

Unfortunately, Earl passed away in the 1950s and my mother has very little memory of him. It would be great if I could find out a little about his involvement in the war.

As I said, I know very little about him but if anyone has any questions regarding him I will try my best to answer them.

Kind Regards

Scott

Hello Scott and welcome to the forum.

Does anyone in your family have a copy of this discharge papers, etc.? If not, your family can obtain a copy and that would be a great start. Please see my research section for help in this matter. I would contact his state's veteran's administration. That is the easiest way.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Also some info here for the unit:

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/engforum/index.php?showtopic=4875

Marion J Chard

Hi Marion!

Thanks for the advice. I don't have Earl's dicharge papers or any other paperwork relating to him, but I have seen an application for a military headstone. It contains some information regarding his time in the army. As I recall, it contained the following information:

Name: Brady, Earl Arnold

Enlistment Date: Oct 15 1941

Discharge Date: Feb 8 1946 (Honorable)

Service No. 34098045

State: South Carolina

Medals: EAME Ribbon (the word OVER was handwritten beside it, I'm not sure what this means), American Defense Medal and the Combat Inf. Bad.

Branch of Service/Company/Regiment/Division: Company B, 202nd Engineers Combat Bn, US Army.

As the above details appeared to have been verified and accepted, I can presume that the above information is correct.

I'm not sure whether it would still be necessary to obtain his discharge papers but I will try if necessary. As I am not in the US, I'm not sure where to obtain any documentation. I presume as he was from South Carolina it would be the Veterans Administration in that state I would have to contact?

I would love to hear from anybody who might help me know a little more about him.

Kind regards

Scott

Hmmm, I have never seen anything like that before ("OVER" handwritten beside it). Can anyone shed any info on this??

Even though you are not in the US, it shouldn't make any difference. You are still direct family and are privy to his records. :pdt12: And yes, it would be South Carolina, in his case.

:waving:

Marion J Chard

WELCOME TO THE FORUM SCOTT !

THE "OVER" YOU ARE WONDERING ABOUT MEANS THAT THERE IS ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE DOCUMENT THAT PERTAINS TO THAT BOX. THEY JUST DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH ROOM. AS YOU CAN SEE FROM THE IMAGES OF THE APPLICATION THE ADDED INFO IS HIS BRONZE STAR MEDAL AND REFERENCE TO HIS PRIOR NATIONAL GUARD SERVICE. HOPE THIS HELPS YOU, GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SEARCH.

RANDY

post-2432-0-54372800-1453262983_thumb.jpg

post-2432-0-91041200-1453263029_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Fold3_Page_1_US_Headstone_Applications_for_Military_Veterans_19251963.jpg (Size: 188.54 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   Fold3_Page_2_US_Headstone_Applications_for_Military_Veterans_19251963.jpg (Size: 129.3 KB / Downloads: 0)

Thank you Randy. Something so simple!

Marion J Chard

Your welcome Marion. Scott didn't mention in his post that his grandfather was awarded the Bronze Star Medal, It's possible he doesn't know. If that is the case he should be very proud to find out.

Randy

Hi Marion and Randy

Thank you very much for the extra information you have been able to dig up. I didn't know my grandfather had received such a prestigious decoration which makes me both proud and humbled.

All I know of my grandfather is that information my mother was able to remember from the letters he sent her after the war (my grandmother and mother remained in Scotland after the war and Earl returned to the US). As I said, Earl kept in contact until his untimely death when my mother was about 15 years old. She only vaguely remembers what he looks like from a photograph he sent (sadly lost sometime ago).

I have happened upon another piece of information about him. Apparently, he trained with "British Commandoes" while in Scotland, which explains the reason he was in Helensburgh as there was a commando training base in the area. I don't know whether this will help in narrowing down in which actions he may have participated in.

Again, may thanks for your help

Scott

Scott: Did you get a chance to look at all the contact info, etc., on the link I provided several post above? I would be curious to see if any of the addresses/phone numbers, etc., are still viable.

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1010th Engineer Treadway Bridge Company j_riederer 29 32,716 11-15-2019, 07:56 PM
Last Post: funonealso
  1284th Combat Engineer Company B Song (Elsie) Procyon2014 0 4,696 08-21-2019, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Procyon2014
  149th Combat Engineers Walt's Daughter 6 870,063 07-21-2019, 07:31 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  2827th Company C steve boshko 8 10,726 03-28-2019, 11:01 AM
  358th Engineers, Company "C" ttimbie 20 20,975 12-20-2018, 08:20 AM
  149th Engineer Combat BTN Company B Pappy 1 5,387 10-31-2018, 02:09 PM
  Pictures Of My Grandfather 1132nd Combat Engineers remo93 7 7,916 07-25-2018, 01:27 PM
  Info 133rd combat engineers battalion Benrist 10 12,025 06-18-2018, 07:34 PM
Last Post: mollymgen
  157th combat engineers VickiFre 3 6,231 04-17-2018, 07:32 AM
  291st Co B Combat Infantry 'Engineers 75th Div blueshockeynut 13 13,833 11-25-2017, 02:35 PM
Last Post: juskitty