345th Engineers Genral Service Regiment

Hello ,

I am looking for information on the 345th Engineers General Service Regiment . My grandfather was in this unit in Italy , he was awarded 3 bronze stars. His papers say he was a tractor operator. His name was Cpl. William E. Vore . Any info on the 345th or Cpl. Vore is greatly appreciated !

thanks for your time !!!

Welcome to the forum.

They are mentioned in: United States Army in World War 2, The Technical Services, the Corps of Engineers, pages 93, 171, 242.

Starting in March 1943 the 345th Engineers General Service Regiment, with no previous experience in building pipelines, built a 160 mile gasoline pipeline from Casablanca, Morocco to Marrekech to supply the Army Transport Command & North African Training Command. At this time they were probably under command of the Atlantic Base Section.

By 10 Oct, the first full-sized convoy into Naples, Italy brought the 345th EGSR. They were attached to the Fifth Army Base Section, which on 28 Oct became the Peninsular Base Section. The unit was the first base section engineer construction organization in Naples. its early assignments included mine clearing, setting up an engineer & a quartermaster depot, repairing railroads, building POW camps, & working on the Serino aqueduct. The 345th was also responsible for all street & sewer repair in Naples, althought civilians did the actual work.

I think there is more mentions of their later work under PBS in the book: Corp of Engineers, The War Against Germany.

Welcome to the forum.

They are mentioned in: United States Army in World War 2, The Technical Services, the Corps of Engineers, pages 93, 171, 242.

Starting in March 1943 the 345th Engineers General Service Regiment, with no previous experience in building pipelines, built a 160 mile gasoline pipeline from Casablanca, Morocco to Marrekech to supply the Army Transport Command & North African Training Command. At this time they were probably under command of the Atlantic Base Section.

By 10 Oct, the first full-sized convoy into Naples, Italy brought the 345th EGSR. They were attached to the Fifth Army Base Section, which on 28 Oct became the Peninsular Base Section. The unit was the first base section engineer construction organization in Naples. its early assignments included mine clearing, setting up an engineer & a quartermaster depot, repairing railroads, building POW camps, & working on the Serino aqueduct. The 345th was also responsible for all street & sewer repair in Naples, althought civilians did the actual work.

I think there is more mentions of their later work under PBS in the book: Corp of Engineers, The War Against Germany.

Thank you Very Much. I have a couple questions. I was wondering about the 3 bronze stars. As a engineer , I know he was a tractor driver , I am trying to figure out what I guess the stars are awarded for , or what combat areas he was in to receive them. Thanks !

The Bronze Star is a major source of confusion. This is due to the fact that there are two decorations in the Armed Forces referred to as "The Bronze Star." The first is "The Bronze Star Medal" and the second is "The Bronze Battle Star." The two are very different decorations awarded for very different reasons

Bronze Star Medal

The Bronze Star Medal is a decoration awarded for heroic or meritorious achievement. This decoration was established on February 4, 1944 by Executive Order 9419 which states under Section B. the following:

"The Bronze Star Medal is awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity in or with the Army of the United States after 6 December 1941, distinguished himself or herself by heroic or meritorious achievement or service, not involving participation in aerial flight, in connection with military operations against an armed enemy; or while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party."

Bronze Battle Star

The Bronze Battle Star is an attachment worn in conjunction with another medal, much like the Oak Leaf Cluster is worn with the Air Medal. The Bronze Battle Star is worn on the campaign ribbon and denotes an individuals participation in a specific battle, engagement or offensive. The Bronze Battle Star is often called the following names in military documents and jargon: bronze star, battle star, or campaign star.

It is quite easy to see how these two distinct decorations can be easily mistaken for each other. What the vast majority of vets have are one or more "Bronze Battle Stars",

The Bronze Star is a major source of confusion. This is due to the fact that there are two decorations in the Armed Forces referred to as "The Bronze Star." The first is "The Bronze Star Medal" and the second is "The Bronze Battle Star." The two are very different decorations awarded for very different reasons

Bronze Star Medal

The Bronze Star Medal is a decoration awarded for heroic or meritorious achievement. This decoration was established on February 4, 1944 by Executive Order 9419 which states under Section B. the following:

"The Bronze Star Medal is awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity in or with the Army of the United States after 6 December 1941, distinguished himself or herself by heroic or meritorious achievement or service, not involving participation in aerial flight, in connection with military operations against an armed enemy; or while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party."

Bronze Battle Star

The Bronze Battle Star is an attachment worn in conjunction with another medal, much like the Oak Leaf Cluster is worn with the Air Medal. The Bronze Battle Star is worn on the campaign ribbon and denotes an individuals participation in a specific battle, engagement or offensive. The Bronze Battle Star is often called the following names in military documents and jargon: bronze star, battle star, or campaign star.

It is quite easy to see how these two distinct decorations can be easily mistaken for each other. What the vast majority of vets have are one or more "Bronze Battle Stars",

[/quote

thank you for your time !

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  343rd Engineer General Service Regiment hwhiting 51 57,718 03-22-2019, 11:19 AM
Last Post: CaptO
  41st Engineer Regiment. colinhotham 17 20,695 05-08-2018, 12:48 AM
Last Post: Richard
  359th General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 12 24,380 03-10-2018, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  351st General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 62 59,400 09-19-2017, 08:02 PM
  38th Engineer General Service Regiment Jeff B. 13 18,299 04-22-2017, 10:57 AM
  Info on Milton Brodsky and 346th Engineer General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 0 4,147 02-18-2016, 12:26 PM
  Military Railway Service angatti 6 8,305 02-14-2016, 11:06 PM
  Paul Meek - 368th Engineer General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 1 5,027 11-04-2014, 06:40 AM
Last Post: colinhotham
  special service engineers & rail engineers Ron Nash 17 586,964 11-15-2012, 10:43 AM
  94th General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 0 2,269 08-13-2012, 05:46 PM