Dick Winter's medal?

According to a post on Trigger Time by my friend Don Burgett, Dick Winter's will be awarded his CMOH. Stay tuned to more news. This is what Don had to say,

"Last night I spoke with an informed individual, will not reveal the name. and I cannot confirm or deny. The scource told me that Major winters' CMOH has been approved and will be awarded this summer.

Forwhat it's worth.

Don burgett, Sgt. WWII"

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

That's great news !

Let's hope Major Winters is as happy with it as some of the people pushing for this will be.

Agreed Stevin. As you and members of our forum know, I already had some reservations regarding the methodology behind the push for the medal. I still believe that a few people involved in this had ulterior motives such as their own claim to fame and seeing THEIR name in lights and I still think that that some made claims in his name that simply weren't true.

As I already stated here, I have nothing but respect for the major and if he does receive the medal, I will be more than happy for him.

If anyone hasn't read my feelings on this matter, you can catch the thread below:

Dick Winter's Petition

Marion J Chard

For the CMOH decision: No confirmation has been send yet , no CMOH is to be yet !

Next step and further info will be given not untill June 6th .

So all to hear about the major getting his CMOH are only rumours !

As with this entire venture, there has been so much speculation. We will all find out within the next two months or so (we hope). Until then we will all have to wait for the results.

Marion J Chard

Hi again Marion, we seem to be frequenting the same haunts today. I think we are both firmly in the same camp on this issue although it would be a nice end to a distinguished career. I'm tired of debating the appropriateness of the upgrade so I'll just say that if it would bring a smile to an old man's face, one more time, so be it. Perhaps then he will finally be left to himself and can spend the time he has left in peace.

Ron

That's a big Currahee brother! The debate rages on and everyone is an expert and speaks for him. I think they should all take a cue from the major and maybe then they would stop all this insane nonsense. I'm sure that Dick would graciously accept it and without much ado because he is a gentleman. I do hope as you say, that people then leave he and his wife alone and let them have some peace. If they really cared about Dick and his family, then they would truly do what's best for him.

I just mistrust the motivating factor behind this and think that a few are just after the limelight. They want to see themselves in photos standing next to him and they want a trip to the White House. :pdt33:

Marion J Chard

I for one, won't be hanging up the buntings until the medal is placed around the Majors neck.

Yes and here the speculation ends! :drinkin: We'll have a toast to him when it's presented to him.

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  French legion of honor medal? Walt's Daughter 22 44,949 11-01-2018, 06:54 PM
Last Post: juskitty
  Medal/Ribbon questions Brenda 3 4,295 05-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  From the Dick Winters site Walt's Daughter 11 9,925 02-03-2006, 04:16 PM
  Winter in the Ardennes Walt's Daughter 1 64,277 07-10-2005, 12:37 PM
Last Post: j3rdinf
  The Longest Winter Walt's Daughter 1 89,377 03-14-2005, 06:19 AM
Last Post: Cadetat6
  Dick Winter's petition - Please Read Walt's Daughter 24 97,351 03-13-2005, 09:34 AM
Last Post: poulter
  Great Photo of Major Dick Winters Walt's Daughter 0 65,491 01-14-2005, 09:06 PM