Dick Winter's petition - Please Read

I've decided to let the Dick Winter's petition go by the wayside. This comes after doing some heavy thinking over the matter and after discussing it with several people who I admire and respect.

Am I saying that I no longer agree that Major Dick Winters should be awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor? No folks that's not what I'm saying. If it does go through congress and finally comes to fruition, then I will be very happy about it. So why am I doing no longer going to push for this on my site?

After doing some research, talking to members of the 101st who know Dick Winters and other men who have close personal ties with men of the 101st, I don't think this is what Dick Winters would want. This isn't about what other people might want and being the daughter of a vet and the close friend to many vets, I have to keep in mind what they would want.

While I know that many of the people who have signed the petition were and are as well-intentioned as I was, I now think the thing has gotten out of hand and it would appear that there are now ulterior motives behind the big push. Unfortunately I think some of the people behind it are more in it for themselves and the fame they will acquire from it. This is truly sad and disturbs me greatly. I think they are ignoring the wishes and desires of those they seek to promote and that is why I am pulling my support for this.

I will close with this and let you ponder on it. I was told the other night that "Dick Winters never talks about it." Nuff said people.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I was talking to my husband about my decision to pull the plug on my support for the petition and he filled me in on more facts regarding the CMOH. I said, am I right in assuming that not very many were ever given out. Yes he replied, in fact only 50 were given out in Vietnam over a period of ten years. And most of those were given posthumously. He said the vast majority were given to men who threw themselves on hand grenades to save their buddies. The criteria is extremely high.

I hope none of you think that I am down-playing anything that Dick Winters did. He was an exceptional soldier and leader and is a man of impeccable character. His deeds shine on and should. But we also have to understand what the army's criteria is and in order to do this we should all educate ourselves by reading more about the CMOH and it's history.

Therefore I present this for your reading pleasure:

http://www.cmohs.org/

Marion J Chard

As you can imagine, I have already received a multitude of letters in private. Most so far most are supportive, some have asked me to change my mind and others have not agreed with my position. But, I have made up my mind and will stand by my decision.

The one question I am now getting now is, "Don't you think he is worthy anymore?"

Please re-read my words. My name is still on the petition. I never stated that I didn't think he was unworthy. I am not questioning the great man. My gripes are with the manner in which is it being done and the claims of several to speak for Major Winters. There is no need for me to repeat myself.

Marion J Chard

I think the one thing the Major would say to anyone is "Abide by your own feelings" He wouldn't want you to feel pressured by anyone. Especially on his own behalf.

Thanks. My head is starting to spin around this afternoon. I feel like the girl from the Exorcist! :D

Guess I have opened up a can-o-worms! As the Major said, "Hang tough!"

Maybe someday we shall hear the whole truth behind the matter. Maybe someday someone will come up to me and say, "Hey you were right all along." Dunno. But regardless I shall not shirk. I can only hope that I am doing the right thing. I have always trusted my heart and so far it has done me right. :pdt34:

I am already hearing new quotes from folks telling me what the Major said in the last few days, weeks and months. Just please stop speaking for him, that's all I ask. I know you are well-intentioned, but let the major speak for himself if he chooses to do so. If he doesn't wish to speak about it, please honor his decision for privacy.

Do you know how many times the man has had to change his PO Box lately? For God's sake, leave the man have some peace. :(

Marion J Chard

By the way , the Pennsylvania House of Represenatives has pass a resolution HR23 asking the Congress of the United States to award the Medal of Honor to the Major.

It was passed back in January .

Thanks for sharing that. That is the first straight answer we have gotten from anyone. I knew we could count on you for the straight scoop.

Marion J Chard

Marion,

You know my views on this subject. It is worth repeating here that I consider Marion to be a true friend and a very straight forward person. You know that I will always welcome you to the Dick Winters site, and I wish to go on record here, on your site, and say Thank you for all the help that you have been to us, and to me personally. You are more than welcome anytime. We all at the site respect your views.

Truth will out Marion, have no fear of that, and if you will permit me, I will continue to up date this site as and when I can get the information. :pdt12:

Barry Poulter

Administrator

www.majordickwinters.com

Dear Barry:

As always, your are a first class act and a true gentleman and I am happy to state that for all to see. I want everyone to know that I have no qualms with any of the moderators from Dick Winter's site, whether it be Barry, or Linda or Lennon. Everyone always welcomed me with open arms and that's how Barry and I became good friends.

They were one of the only forums that I felt comfortable being myself and got accepted as one of the clan. For that I will always be grateful. And Barry please, if it does any good, you are welcome to quote me on anything I say here.

Thank you for keeping us up-to-date and I know we can continue to count on you for your support and any breaking news. You know I have the best interests of the Major in mind and that is why I did what I did.

Thank you again and you have made my day. I knew I would get some flak, but it is never pleasant to hear. I am only human and sometimes do take things to heart. :heartpump::(

Marion J Chard

Marion, thanks for being so honest about your feelings on this matter.

I too have had a few worries about how the Major really feels about the whole project to get him his CMOH, i have always assumed (hopefully correctly) that the Major has given it his support, even though he can't be seen to take an active role in this matter.

I joined the Dick Winters site, like most members, because i believe that he does deserve the ultimate accolade for his service to his country, if i found out that he would rather let the whole thing drop or if he had become embarrased about the whole project then i also would remove my support.

I suppose it's easy to lose sight in what really matters and become so obsessed with our aims that we can forget about the man himself.

Anyway, until i hear different i will go on the assumption that we have the 100% backing of the Major and will help in any way possible to get him his long overdue award.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  30th Infantry Division petition Frank Gubbels 9 9,956 09-07-2017, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  From the Dick Winters site Walt's Daughter 11 10,160 02-03-2006, 04:16 PM
  Winter in the Ardennes Walt's Daughter 1 64,334 07-10-2005, 12:37 PM
Last Post: j3rdinf
  Dick Winter's medal? Walt's Daughter 10 82,442 06-02-2005, 10:28 PM
  The Longest Winter Walt's Daughter 1 89,420 03-14-2005, 06:19 AM
Last Post: Cadetat6
  Great Photo of Major Dick Winters Walt's Daughter 0 66,056 01-14-2005, 09:06 PM