36th Combat Eng. 3rd Bat. I Company

I'm a newbie to the site and trying to put my Dad, Vince Pankoke Sr. in contact with some of his old pals that may still be around. My dad entered service in 1943 with the 36th and was a replacement sent to North Africa. He was with the 36th all the way through the remainder of the war and was discharged in Sept. 1945. My dad will be 86 in about two weeks and his memory of his 2 1/2 years of service is fading a bit. I remember most of the stories he told me over the years, but would love to speak with some of his squad mates. I found a list of men from I company who were injured in an attack near Baerenthal, France on January 19, 1945. I recall my dad telling me about the attack and recognized several of the soldiers names, Eugene Hinderman, Albert Schemerhorn, William Sizemore, and Adolf Petruzzo listed as wounded in the Action Reports posted on the website.

After studying the WWII history of the 36th, I am only now beginning to appreciate how special this unit was. One day they were fighting as infantry and the next they may be erecting bridges, blowing bridges, or clearing mines. My dad said that most of his time in North Africa was spent learning/training on the technical stuff the 36th did. He also spoke of how long they were on the line in Anzio without relief. I found information about this extended time on the line on the site under the Unit Citation.

I'm trying to locate a photo that relatives say exist with my dad and guys from I company with Anzio Annie. I have one of his and some pals on the beach either in Southern France or Italy. I will try to post it and see if anyone recognizes the others.

I sure hope there some of his company mates still out there. Another name I recall is Doug Ridell.

Thanks

Vince Pankoke Jr.

Parkland, FL

Hi Vince:

Were you able to get in contact with the anyone on the list I sent you? There's a lot of very active 36th members and their families too.

Welcome!

Marion

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Vince,

I'm pleased to see you have joined the forum .Now you will see some of the wealth of information and contacts with the 36th.I hope that you and Gary Houston have been in contact since both of your fathers were in the 36th .

See my page on forum ColBill

Bill Hamiter

Hi Vince,

I just recently saw your post. My dad, Adolph Petruzzo, was injured in the attack that you mention. Sadly, my dad passed away in 1989. He never spoke much about the war and it wasn't until after his death that our family realized everything that the brave men in I company went through. I have a few pictures from the war that were my dad's. They aren't labled and they don't have the names of the soldiers who are in the photograph but I would be happy to share them with you. Maybe your dad will be able to recognize the soldiers. I hope your dad had a great birthday.

Nancy Glatsky

Secane, PA

Welcome to the forum Nancy. It's nice to have you as a member.

Let's hear it for the seahorses. What a great bunch of men. It sure is an honor to work with them and to meet all their families too.

I look forward to chatting with you, and have placed your email address on my private 36th Engineer mailing list too.

Marion

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  344th Engineer Regiment H&S Company Purvis 0 3,016 10-30-2019, 12:37 AM
Last Post: Purvis
  1275 Combat Engineers, Company A, 15th Army Judy 3 5,550 06-29-2019, 05:39 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  36th Engineers Company H, Uncle KIA TTUHolt 3 4,718 05-25-2019, 09:30 AM
  Introduction - 210th Military Police Company WWII Krogh Feuerborn 1 3,230 05-15-2019, 12:24 PM
  Sgt Joseph Szvetitz 20th enginers , 1340th company C Joe Szvetitz 3 4,013 02-26-2019, 07:04 PM
  1260th Engineers Company B Platoon 2 MargeSzalko 2 3,706 02-15-2017, 10:06 AM
  Son of 405th Battalion Water Supply, Company A, Tolralf Dahlin, Pvt Richard Mathiason 2 4,482 05-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Last Post: SonofaMP
  Harry H. Birkby - 36th Combat Engineer Dogdaddy 10 12,697 06-04-2011, 11:31 PM
  36th Combat Engineer info EvanLonergan 5 6,274 07-22-2008, 01:43 PM