S.Sgt John J. Walkonis, Co. "C" of the 36th combat Engineers WWII

M1, i think it is more of a matter that people doing web searches looking for the info they are seeking come directly to the forum thru a google link or other source & never see the main page.

The Main Page of this site is: http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/

That could be, but also a reminder to all on the forum, there is a direct link right at the very top of our page on the forum!

VISIT OUR HOME PAGE - VI CORPS COMBAT ENGINEERS

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all of your help so far. I have gone through, and read all of the situation reports. It took me a few days. However, I did not find anything. I decided to site every event that involved 1st Bn, or co "C". Then I will have a time line of what is reported. Perhaps I am looking at them incorrectly. but there was no mention of his name or serial number (although I am pretty sure that serial numbers were not put in the sit-reps except for the casualty record from February). In concerns to the main page. that is actually how I discovered this forum.

I have read through the journal of the 36th combat engineers. I have read the year book. (sgt. John J. Walkonis co "C", 4th row). I have discovered a great deal from these reports. However, I am sure you can all imagine I was posed with more questions. This is why I made contact. Perhaps I have not looked into all the avenues of the site. I believe, now that I looked at all of the resources provided. I have gone through the 36th engineers page and the other WWII resources. Before I found the 6thcorp homepage, I already mailed all requests for records and medals to be reissued to my mother.

From my understanding, my Grandfather has not been to a 36th combat engineer reunion for over 20 years.

Best wishes and happy holidays!

-Frank De Jesus

(Grandson of S. Sgt John J. Walkonis co. "C", 36th combat engineers)

Hey all,

it has been a while since I have posted.

I have been corresponding with Capt. John T Fallon.

he has sent me numerous documents to assist me search to know more about my grandfather.

he has been an incredible help. he was able to tell me specifically when my grandfather was wounded. 3/2/1944. (pg. 39 of the casualty report)

he has offered me more first person insight to Salerno, Anzio, and Southern France.

I am very grateful to all of you for assisting me in learning about the 36th engineer regiment (combat) and all the other engineer groups of th VI corps. Combat engineers.

as I learn more, I will keep you posted.

-Frank

Hello Everyone!

I am trying to find more information about my Great Uncle Milton H.H. Kratzer. He was a Coporal with the 36th US Eng. Corps Company A. He was KIA 3/25/1944 at Anzio Beach Head. His body wasn't brought home till 1948. We have a picture of his father and the coffin when that day came. I am looking for anything the more detailed the better.

His sister, my grandmother, is still alive. She was wondering where he was buried before they sent his body back. Was that something that had to be requested by the family? Why wouldn't he have been burried with the other American soldiers there? Any perspective on how burial was handled is welcomed.

All the best,

Jamie

Hi Jamie, Mr Kratzer was buried in the temporary cemetery, Nettuno Cemetery, Nettuno Italy. After the war, the next of kin had the option of bringing the soldier home or being interred in the permanent Sicily-Rome Cemetery.

For burial info

Go to the downloads page of this website & get the .pdf of the booklet Disposition of WWII Armed Forces Dead

http://med-dept.com/downloads.php?cat=docs

Disposition of WWII Armed Forces Dead - PDF Booklet (3 MB) Type: PDF

For details on his death and burial, you will need to obtain his I.D.P.F. ( Individual Deceaced Personel File ).

i reccommend that your grandmother, being next of kin, request the file & sign the letter.

Requesting an I.D.P.F. , Individual Deceaced Personel File

Write a letter

Include the text:

Pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act, I hereby make a request for the Individual Deceased Personnel File for (Enter the name of the serviceman or woman). (Enter the name) died or was killed-in-action while serving in the military during (Enter the name of the War).

Provide as much of the following information as is known:

•Full name:

•Military service (serial) number:

•Entered Service From:

•Branch of the service:

•Division, unit information:

•Date and place of birth:

•Date and place of death:

•Relationship to the deceased:

Send your letter of request to one of the following addresses:

Department of the Army

US Army Human Resource Command

ATTN: AHRC-FOIA

1600 Spearhead Division Avenue Dept. 107

Fort Knox KY 40122-5504

( Fort Knox is the reccomended adress)

Or Send your letter of request to:

US Army

Human Resources Command

Attn: AHRC-PAO(FOIA), Room 7S65

200 Stovall Street

Alexandria, VA 22331-0400

Jamie:

I will put you in direct contact with Captain John Fallon. He may or may not have more info on Milton. I will send you his email address via PM, in a few minutes.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  John J. Kudla henkgerrits 9 11,038 10-02-2019, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  149th Combat Engineers Walt's Daughter 6 870,086 07-21-2019, 07:31 AM
  Need help piecing my Grandpa's WWII story - 39th Combat Engr Weston497 19 19,177 02-01-2019, 05:04 PM
  Pictures Of My Grandfather 1132nd Combat Engineers remo93 7 7,927 07-25-2018, 01:27 PM
  Info 133rd combat engineers battalion Benrist 10 12,041 06-18-2018, 07:34 PM
Last Post: mollymgen
  157th combat engineers VickiFre 3 6,239 04-17-2018, 07:32 AM
  291st Co B Combat Infantry 'Engineers 75th Div blueshockeynut 13 13,844 11-25-2017, 02:35 PM
Last Post: juskitty
  Fred G. Dougherty Jr. 33156198 61st Engineers Combat Battalion BobbyMunizza3 3 5,090 04-25-2017, 10:41 AM
  Lynn Harris 282nd Combat Engineers WWII brisenoal 14 13,621 01-30-2017, 09:25 AM
  Company D, 342nd General Service Regiment Engineers in WWII vette97 14 17,546 10-01-2016, 08:14 PM
Last Post: asabraham