S.Sgt John J. Walkonis, Co. "C" of the 36th combat Engineers WWII

Greeting All,

I am a Grandson of Staff Sergeant John. J Walkonis. of the 36th combat engineers, Co. C.

for the last several months I have been trying to retrieve every scrap of information I can about him.

He enlisted before the war, I believe he was in service 6 years prior. He was near his mid twenties when he was activated for the Second World War. He made 5 amphibious assaults, and was injured and discharged from Anzio.

His life was difficult after the war. His five children and wife, never knew who he was as he kept most of himself inside. he experienced night terrors every day of his life. I have requested his record be reconstructed. as his was destroyed like so many others in the big archive fire of the 70's. however, i feel i will be left with many more questions.

My goal is to find information about the man who was John J. Walkonis, and bring a side of him to light that none of his children or grandchildren ever knew. I hope I can find out more information about soldiers who served in his company and at the same time find out more about him. I wish to know what happened to him in Anzio, as the stories that have been told are filled with holes. If anyone has information regarding him or the fighting men of company, "C", I would be eternally in your debt.

I speak on his and my families behalf. John passed away in 2003.

He is in the 36th engineers history book under Company C. He looked like quite a character in my opinion.

S.SGT, John J. Walkonis, 36th engineers Co. "C" WWII

Sinerely,

Frank De Jesus

[son of Denise Walkonis(Daughter of John Walkonis)]

Greetings, Frank!

You've certainly came to the right place; Marion has tons of information on the 36th and other Engineer units.

Enjoy,

Todd O

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Thank you Todd!

I am looking forward to it!

-Frank

Welcome from a Belgian member. :26_19_2:

Erwin

Hey Frank: A warm welcome. As you know things are a bit hectic for me this week, but I am sure you are in good hands with the rest of my battalion here! :armata_PDT_01: We'll talk soon...
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Welcome Welcome!!!

I was in your situation last year. My dads record was also destroyed during the fire and I couldnt all I could find on the internet was obits for former members of his unit. For six months I googled his unit every couple of weeks. I finally spoke to someone in his battallion who gave me a good idea of the 1251st trip through Europe. I still kept googling and lo and behold, I finally found a guy from his unit that actually knew him. He and I have been email buddies every since.

Hang in there!!!

Hi all!

Does anyone have possession of any morning reports for the 36th combat engineers? those would have more descriptive detail about when my grandfather was injured.

to add,

I have decided to begin interviewing my family members about my grandfather. I will be asking questions about who he was after the war, and who they thought he was before and during the war. I will be signing out an HD camera from school and filming these interviews. On thanksgiving I will be going to my uncles with a scanner. he has most of my grandfathers pictures from the war days. I will pass them along and hope they can provide many of you with more information.

If anyone has any information that could assist me or point me in the right direction for assistance, I am in your debt.

Thanks again everyone!

-Frank De Jesus

(Grandson of S.SGT. John J. Walkonis co. "C")

Hi all!

Does anyone have possession of any morning reports for the 36th combat engineers? those would have more descriptive detail about when my grandfather was injured.

Hi Frank, on the main page of this site, check the history link for the 36th, There are several Sit-Reps (situation reports} there. read thru this one, it covers the time frame for Anzio:

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/docs/36th/Sitreps%20Dec%2043%20-%20May%2044.pdf

oh great!

Thank you Larry!

-Frank

Thanks Larry. I am so happy all you guys have been filling in for me in during my extended and fluctuating absence from our forum.

Just a reminder to all who frequent the forum; it appears many forget there is a MAIN SITE, and this is simply a forum, an extension of my site. Do not forget to search and peruse the wealth of information stored there. Thanks! :armata_PDT_01:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  John J. Kudla henkgerrits 9 10,707 10-02-2019, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  149th Combat Engineers Walt's Daughter 6 869,804 07-21-2019, 07:31 AM
  Need help piecing my Grandpa's WWII story - 39th Combat Engr Weston497 19 18,823 02-01-2019, 05:04 PM
  Pictures Of My Grandfather 1132nd Combat Engineers remo93 7 7,747 07-25-2018, 01:27 PM
  Info 133rd combat engineers battalion Benrist 10 11,833 06-18-2018, 07:34 PM
Last Post: mollymgen
  157th combat engineers VickiFre 3 6,125 04-17-2018, 07:32 AM
  291st Co B Combat Infantry 'Engineers 75th Div blueshockeynut 13 13,558 11-25-2017, 02:35 PM
Last Post: juskitty
  Fred G. Dougherty Jr. 33156198 61st Engineers Combat Battalion BobbyMunizza3 3 4,979 04-25-2017, 10:41 AM
  Lynn Harris 282nd Combat Engineers WWII brisenoal 14 13,306 01-30-2017, 09:25 AM
  Company D, 342nd General Service Regiment Engineers in WWII vette97 14 17,204 10-01-2016, 08:14 PM
Last Post: asabraham