292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member)

Hello, all,

I just found this site and am a bit overwhelmed with all the links, photos, etc. I won't be able to explore it all for a long time!

My father-in-law was Sgt. Sterling Sykes, who served in the 292nd from 1944-1946. I'm afraid I don't know which company. When he passed away several years ago, in the attic we found a posed panoramic photo of the 292nd, stateside so circa 1944. It's 35 inches wide. We have just recently had the courage to take it out of its aged frame and found it in excellent condition. It was professionally taken so I don't know what the copyright rules would be for posting it to the web, but if anyone knows what the copyright laws might be under these circumstances, I'd be glad to share if it's legal. We also have a map/poster of the 292nd's campaign through Europe, but it was obviously mass produced so I imagine it's pretty common among vets.

We also have candid photos from training camp stateside. I'll try to get them uploaded in upcoming months. We don't have names for other soldiers in the photos, but perhaps others will find a relative they're looking for.

Lisa Sykes

Welcome!

There are no copyright laws and you may post whenever you wish. Those were given to each man in the unit, for their own personal use.

We look forward to seeing what you have and can't wait to discuss more with you.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Hello, all,

I just found this site and am a bit overwhelmed with all the links, photos, etc. I won't be able to explore it all for a long time!

My father-in-law was Sgt. Sterling Sykes, who served in the 292nd from 1944-1946. I'm afraid I don't know which company. When he passed away several years ago, in the attic we found a posed panoramic photo of the 292nd, stateside so circa 1944. It's 35 inches wide. We have just recently had the courage to take it out of its aged frame and found it in excellent condition. It was professionally taken so I don't know what the copyright rules would be for posting it to the web, but if anyone knows what the copyright laws might be under these circumstances, I'd be glad to share if it's legal. We also have a map/poster of the 292nd's campaign through Europe, but it was obviously mass produced so I imagine it's pretty common among vets.

We also have candid photos from training camp stateside. I'll try to get them uploaded in upcoming months. We don't have names for other soldiers in the photos, but perhaps others will find a relative they're looking for.

Lisa Sykes

Hello Lisa,

Warmest welcome to the forum! It is always exciting to me to meet another family member of a 292nd soldier. My grandfather, PFC Arthur A. Clark, was in company A of the 292nd. I have been doing some research on this unit for the last few years and have a lot that I can share with you. I have obtained from the NARA the unit histories, after action reports, and journals of the 292nd. I have copied a number of the morning reports of company A from the NPRC in St. Louis. According to one of the morning report documents I have your father-in-law, S/SGT Sterling C Sykes ASN# 34454730, was also a member of company A. I have attached a copy of this document below, sorry it is not that easy to see but you can understand because of the age. Your father-in-law's name is listed in the first column, 6th name down. You will notice my grandfather's name is listed just four names down from your father-in-law. As Marion has stated there is no problem posting your photos, and I as well as others are really looking forward to seeing them. I have photos to share as well. Hope to hear from you soon,

Randy Clark

post-2432-0-18966800-1454256780_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG.jpg (Size: 168.07 KB / Downloads: 2)

Randy this is so cool!

Marion J Chard

Welcome aboard Lisa! Been awhile since I've been here to work, but am glad to be back. As you may have read above, my grandfather served in both H&S and for awhile in A company as a mechanic. Anything you can provide for this little documented company would be appreciated by all whether it be photos, documentation or anything pertaining to your father-in-laws service. Thanks so much for joining and I look forward to continued dialog.

Randy, long time no see, my friend! I still am going to post the photo I mentioned a few months back and hopefully as you have time can forward the unit info we last spoke of.

The search for information continues, folks as does the desire to document our loved ones service and the history of this neglected unit. Forward, folks, and let's get out any and all info, photos and anything else relevant to honor these patriots!

Gary L. Gates

Proud Grandson of Randall Gates
Mechanic, A and H&S Companies, 292nd Engineer Combat Battalion, 1149th Engineer Combat Group

Three cheers to all of you!

Marion J Chard

Randy this is so cool!

Yes Marion, this is all very cool! Our little 292nd family on this forum is growing, I like it a lot! I was so excited to see Lisa's post yesterday I had to call my friend Ralph right away, because I knew he would be just as eager to hear it too. Who's Ralph? He and I met on the ww2f.com forum 5 years ago and have remained in contact ever since, even meeting once in person. His father and my grandfather were both from Missouri, both served in Company A of the 292nd, and we think they may have been friends during their time in service. We are both anxious to see what photos Lisa may have to share. The panoramic photo she mentions has particularly peaked our interest. Neither of us has or has seen a photo like this for the 292nd. We speculate that it may be a company photo, not a battalion one, for It would be quite a challenge to capture 632 men in a picture. Since it appears that her father-in-law was a member of Company A, and if indeed this turns out to be a photo of Company A, our relatives could be in this photo as well. That would be amazing, and Lisa might just become our new BFF!

Randy

Welcome aboard Lisa! Been awhile since I've been here to work, but am glad to be back. As you may have read above, my grandfather served in both H&S and for awhile in A company as a mechanic. Anything you can provide for this little documented company would be appreciated by all whether it be photos, documentation or anything pertaining to your father-in-laws service. Thanks so much for joining and I look forward to continued dialog.

Randy, long time no see, my friend! I still am going to post the photo I mentioned a few months back and hopefully as you have time can forward the unit info we last spoke of.

The search for information continues, folks as does the desire to document our loved ones service and the history of this neglected unit. Forward, folks, and let's get out any and all info, photos and anything else relevant to honor these patriots!

Hey Gary, glad to see you back! Ralph had asked me on the phone yesterday if I had heard anymore from you. I told him no I hadn't, but lo and behold here you are. Sorry that I have not sent the 292nd papers to you yet, I haven't forgotten about it. I will do my best to get that task completed soon. Forward indeed Gary, forward we march!

Randy

:14_2_107:

Yes Marion, this is all very cool! Our little 292nd family on this forum is growing, I like it a lot! I was so excited to see Lisa's post yesterday I had to call my friend Ralph right away, because I knew he would be just as eager to hear it too. Who's Ralph? He and I met on the ww2f.com forum 5 years ago and have remained in contact ever since, even meeting once in person. His father and my grandfather were both from Missouri, both served in Company A of the 292nd, and we think they may have been friends during their time in service. We are both anxious to see what photos Lisa may have to share. The panoramic photo she mentions has particularly peaked our interest. Neither of us has or has seen a photo like this for the 292nd. We speculate that it may be a company photo, not a battalion one, for It would be quite a challenge to capture 632 men in a picture. Since it appears that her father-in-law was a member of Company A, and if indeed this turns out to be a photo of Company A, our relatives could be in this photo as well. That would be amazing, and Lisa might just become our new BFF!

Randy

Wonderful, thanks for sharing how you got to meet Ralph, etc.

Yes, it would be a company photo and I bet you and Ralph are waiting with great anticipation. I would be too!!! I have seen quite a few of these panoramic images and it's always exciting for others to get a glimpse of their loved ones.

I'm so happy that this post has multiple entries from family members of the 292nd. May the "family" continue to grow...

Marion J Chard

Hey Gary, glad to see you back! Ralph had asked me on the phone yesterday if I had heard anymore from you. I told him no I hadn't, but lo and behold here you are. Sorry that I have not sent the 292nd papers to you yet, I haven't forgotten about it. I will do my best to get that task completed soon. Forward indeed Gary, forward we march!

Randy

:14_2_107:

Randy,

No problem, my friend. I assure you that I will never disappear from those that I have made contact with here. I look forward to anything you can provide in the way of documentation and will reiterate that as someone who owns a photography company and deals with media every day, I would love to get copies of any and all documentition and photos that ANYONE has to provide, welcoming the opportunity to scan this information with the very high quality scanner that the company has to distribute for any and all. We need to get this information out so that this one of many little documented units does not fade into history.

Randy, here's the image, most likely a company photo, that I spoke of earlier. My family believes that my grandfather started as a mechanic in "A" company and then later was moved to "H&S" due to a shortage of mechanics and then may have moved back to "A" company later. I imagine that this photo was taken before deployment in the Fall/Winter of 1944, but cannot be sure whether it is "A" company or "H&S" company. Clearly, it has some issued having an old burn hole that destroyed the faces of two members along with some fold creases. My grandfather is fourth from the left in the back row. Maybe any and all can take a look to see if you see your relative and this would in turn allow us to determine which company this was for sure. This photo is relatively small compared to the original scan. Here is a link to 4x size version of the image so that you may better zoom into faces:

www.photozealots.com/tempalbums/19440000_292dCombatEngineers_large.jpg

Keep in mind that the file is quite large at 5.5 megabytes. I actually have a version that is 4.5x larger that this one, but at 57 megabytes figured it would be more than what folks needed.

Thanks to all for there time in posting here. We an and should band together so that this unit and these men do not fade into depths of history.

post-2431-0-01044000-1454540857_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   19440000_292dCombatEngineers_small.jpg (Size: 146.75 KB / Downloads: 0)
Gary L. Gates

Proud Grandson of Randall Gates
Mechanic, A and H&S Companies, 292nd Engineer Combat Battalion, 1149th Engineer Combat Group

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  160th Engineer Combat Battalion WW II ( new member) Joe Miga 119 140,133 01-27-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: glen blasingim
  Hello Everyone 257th Combat Engineer rvermar 2 3,548 09-24-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: BRosen21
  283rd Engineer Combat Battalion (Grandson) 283rdCombatEngineers 3 5,137 06-12-2019, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  1264th Engineer Combat Battalion John 48 59,959 05-28-2019, 12:02 PM
  Great Grandson of WWII Combat Engineer Brendan 1 3,201 10-23-2018, 01:07 PM
  Daughter of an Engineer William (nmi) Carr in the 291st Co B Combat Engineers Hello Everone! blueshockeynut 34 27,579 07-27-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Curlock
  Robert E Waters 291st Combat Engineer Bn golfersa 2 4,125 06-09-2018, 09:41 AM
Last Post: golfersa
  Hello All. Grandson of 292nd Combat Engineer here, Introducing myself. Joel 18 17,554 06-22-2016, 06:26 PM
Last Post: buk2112
  Hello everyone from new member malcal1211 Saddleblanket 8 7,947 08-09-2015, 06:19 AM
  405th Engineer Water Supply Battalion Lloyd 2 8 15,926 06-17-2015, 03:39 PM