344th Engineers General Service

Hello!

I'm new to this forum and quite new to the search for information regarding my beloved grandpa (I called him Bumpa) - Pfc. Claude Bernard Andresen. I recently came across information found after doing alot of digging, that he served with the 344th Engineers in Italy. I have *some* photos, one of them a photo of his camp in Rocco Mafina, where he says he first joined up with his outfit. I am working on getting the photos I have scanned so I can share and hope someone has some info or tidbits to share. Unfortunately my grandpa passed away in 1973, when I was 3 years old, so his stories are lost. Anyone who has info to pass along, photos, memories, history or anything at all, it is enormously appreciated. I have already learned so much from this forum - it has to be the best I have seen. :armata_PDT_01:

Best wishes to all,

Virginia

Dear Virginia:

Welcome. You've come to the right spot because we have ALL kinds of contacts and info for the 344th. Here's the search link that will pull up everything on our forum:

344th

I will also send you a private link with email addresses to other associated with the 344th. Please let us know what happens. I wish you the best with your research and sure look forward to the photos and more.

Warmly,

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Thank you SO much Marion for your help! :pdt12: Today has been very productive already and I've got more information about my grandpa's regiment than I've had before. My mom is thrilled and is looking forward to more things I hope to uncover about her dad. :)

Take care,

Virginia

claudeandresen.jpg

This is a photo of my grandpa, Pfc. Claude Bernard Andresen. I don't know where it was taken, unfortunately.

grandpascompany.jpg

I am not sure about the time or location of this photo. My grandpa is almost in the center; looking at the man holding the sign that reads "1024" he is behind him to the left.

Excellent. I have a similar photo of my dad when he was at Camp Custer in Michigan

He is eighth from right in top row.

post-2-1201217532_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Postcard_Front.jpg (Size: 49.1 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
I wonder if it's the same place, Marion? My grandpa was from Michigan! Wow could be? :armata_PDT_01:
Darlin' I believe IT IS. Look at them side-by-side. They are the same exact building. Whoo-hooo!!! :clappin:
Marion J Chard

Hi Virginia,

Glad to see someone else is looking for info on the 344th. My father Nicholas Joseph Mastrangelo was a sargeant in WWII 344th Combat Engineers A Company that debarked on July 7, 1942 arriving in Gremock Scotland July 14th on the SS Monterey. His travels in Italy were as follows (in his own handwritting) Naples, Bagnoli, Capua, Sparaise, Caprotti, Fornelli, Isernia, Roccamonfina, Castleforte, Coreno, Vallecorsa, Pastena, Capenito, Frascotti (Rome), Isole Farneses, San Lorenzo, Pitigliano, Radicofani, Civitavecchia, Teano, Pasestum, Aversa then to France. His Separation Center was Fort Devens MA on Sept 25,1945. I also have a booklet that shows the travels of the 344th. I don't know how many men make up a "Company" so I don't know if your Grandfather would have been to the same cities at the same time??

I would love to hear from you or any other Engineers families of the 344th. My Dad would not talk much about his experiences, but I do have bits and pieces of information.

Janet Mastrangelo-Dane

Abington MA

Janet:

Welcome. Delighted to see your FIRST post. Let us know if we can be of service and a Happy Valentine Day to you! :wub:

Marion J Chard

Welcome Janet! A fellow MA resident! My Dad was a VI Corps MP from

Wellesley MA. He was in North Africa, Italy, and France. Before war was

declared he was at Camp Edwards in Falmouth Ma and later at Ft Devens.

Devens was also his Separation Center in May 1945.

What town was your Dad from?

BTW - I believe a company consists of approx 100-250 men ;)

Mary Ann Howard

Needham MA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  343rd Engineer General Service Regiment hwhiting 51 57,565 03-22-2019, 11:19 AM
Last Post: CaptO
  359th General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 12 24,351 03-10-2018, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  351st General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 62 59,243 09-19-2017, 08:02 PM
  344th Engineers KDale 20 19,769 06-14-2017, 11:15 AM
Last Post: repbrock
  38th Engineer General Service Regiment Jeff B. 13 18,243 04-22-2017, 10:57 AM
  Info on Milton Brodsky and 346th Engineer General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 0 4,134 02-18-2016, 12:26 PM
  Military Railway Service angatti 6 8,278 02-14-2016, 11:06 PM
  Paul Meek - 368th Engineer General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 1 5,020 11-04-2014, 06:40 AM
Last Post: colinhotham
  General Moses and the Pontoon Bridge Walt's Daughter 2 4,401 01-15-2014, 09:56 AM
  344th or 334th Engineers? copeeb 31 1,236,061 07-02-2013, 12:01 PM