M-1 Rifle WW2

James Pickering: Good write up on the M-1 Garand. Must agree with you about the myth of the ejected clip in battle. Anyone in front of you close enough to hear the "cling" of the ejected clip would be partially hearing distorted by the muzzle blast at

that close range. Must admit though I never saw any (blue tip) incendary rounds in

the ETO although later did get hold of some of them when back to civilian life but they

were prior manufactured to ww 2. The A.P ammo was my favorite in the M-1 as it would do all that ball ammo did plus when the cupro nickle jacket stripped offf the tungstan carbide .27"? core kept going through a lot of wood and/or brick/ or light steel

armour. The Springfield '03 was a good rifle but at least with the M-1 one looked through the sights, "not for the sights" when hurried. Once again. good article. I have

also fired many Nat. Match Courses till about 8 years ago and enjoyed competing in them. Getting down for the prone and sitting wasnt too bad, but getting back was just

plain bad news. Now I stick to offhand or bench resting for rifle.

James Pickering:  Good write up on the M-1 Garand .......... I have also fired many Nat. Match Courses till about 8 years ago and enjoyed competing in them.  Getting down for the prone and sitting wasnt too bad, but getting back was just plain bad news.  Now I stick to offhand or bench resting for rifle.

Thanks, j3rdinf -- I hear you about sitting/prone rapid fire shooting in the National Match course -- in recent years I have just been shooting 600 yard prone using my Winchester model 70 heavy barrel target rifle (pre-1964), cal 30/06, with Redfield international sights.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Army M-1 Rifle Cadetat6 8 66,015 02-07-2005, 09:31 PM
Last Post: texas38