M-1 Rifle WW2

What did they do with M-1 rifles that we dunked in black thick preservatives when we were "Going Home"

Art

That was probably cosmoline and it is a preservative. The army used it all the time. It made a mess, but worked great! :pdt34: Now we need to find out where they all went...

Okay. After the war, many of the M1's were given to our allies and in fact the Greek's used them after WWII. Many were also sold on the open market, so they are literally all around the world.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

General Honey, how do you know so much ?

papa

General Papa:

I read a lot, watch a lot of WWII shows plus it helps being married to a spectacular fellow who happens to be a WWII buff. I swear he could teach WWII college history courses. :pdt20:

Thanks for your confidence. -_-:wub:

Marion J Chard

:pdt: Well, gee, Marion. The things one learns just hanging around here!

Ok, here's one I've been too bashful to ask since it seems EVERYONE knows the answer but me: What are ODs? I know it's a uniform but what kind and WHY do they call it "ODs". What does the "O" and the "D" stand for? :wacko:

Marilyn

Here ya go darlin', it's OLIVE DRAB. Now you know and can go tell the world. Next time someone poses the question you can jump in and say, "Well of course, it's olive drab!"

Never be shy, we're always here to help and just think, at one time I didn't know either. As my hubbie says, the only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked! Smart man! :pdt34:

Marion J Chard

IT WAS DRAB !!!Did not go with any thing I had in the closet

Art

Knuck, Knuck, Knuck!!! :lol:

Marion J Chard

OD: THe Engrs. are responible for all army colors.! They have a tech manual that covers colors!

Yes our wool uniform was called OD. It was the comabt uniform in Europe in WW II. OD does mean Olive Deab. to add some confusion. Vehicles were paineted OD. So when the North African invasion started the vehicles were painted a sand color! Many GIs figured that was OD. Not so. Then when the Vehicles got used in other places you would see Both OD OG and Sand colors.

OD was some times reffered to as Offical Duty uniform.

The Free French also wore OD with thier stripes on it. Some had no stripes, Lucky GIs could pass off as French!

And so it goes.

Not a silly question. I've always been confused about what was the official color of OD. Olive = green, right? Drab= dirt, maybe?

Many field uniforms were various shades of GREEN but some jackets such as the tanker jackets & Mackinaws were light TAN then other soldiers wore the BROWN winter uniforms.

I've only been studying the US Uniforms in detail within the last year or two. It appears that the shade varied by the manufacturer.

The Free French also wore OD with thier stripes on it. Some had no stripes, Lucky GIs could pass off as French!

I'm not sure if I follow that. I guess I also don't understand why a GI would want to impersonate a Frenchie.

Steve

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Army M-1 Rifle Cadetat6 8 65,878 02-07-2005, 09:31 PM
Last Post: texas38