Vets are Disappearing

:banghead::banghead:

I am still PO'd that Monty kept the news of the 507 PIR Regt. of the 17th AB Div. participation in Operation Varsity out of the news for 4 days after the 17th had jumped across the Rhine into Wesel Germany and it was a long time before many knew that it wasn't just the Brit 6th AB Div.(Red Devils) that did the jump!!

Sorry to hear of your friend's passing Sarge. I am to the point with "Monty" that I can barely stand to watch any documentary that includes any of his comments about the war, especially his post-war comments about the way Ike conducted the Allied efforts. If Montgomery had been Top Dog we would probably still be "cautiously" attempting to cross the Rhine...

Jim :drinkin:

Another thing to factor into the high number of WWII veterans that are leaving us each day is this: Of all the men who served , 5 out of 6 were in supporting roles, meaning there is that many fewer American WWII Vets to tell what actual combat was like back then. I mention this not to diminish in any way the valuable contributions of support personnel, but just as a perspective of this valuable resource of knowledge we are losing each day. I really do think about this every day...and fear that one day this conflict won't even be mentioned in our highschools. To me, World War II was the single-most important event of the twentieth century which helped to shape American culture & society more than any other event!

Jim

Another thing to factor into the high number of WWII veterans that are leaving us each day is this: Of all the men who served , 5 out of 6 were in supporting roles, meaning there is that many fewer American WWII Vets to tell what actual combat was like back then. I mention this not to diminish in any way the valuable contributions of support personnel, but just as a perspective of this valuable resource of knowledge we are losing each day. I really do think about this every day...and fear that one day this conflict won't even be mentioned in our highschools. To me, World War II was the single-most important event of the twentieth century which helped to shape American culture & society more than any other event!

Jim

DOGDADDY!!!!! TWO WORDS. ********THANK YOU************* Rocky, 85inAug.

:armata_PDT_37::armata_PDT_37:

Dogdaddy:-

Would like to repeat what Rocky said - Thanks and wish there were more like you!!!!!

Sgtleo (83 and still standing)

:clappin::clappin::clappin:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Penzeys Spices call for "grilling vets" - gets response from WWII veteran Walt's Daughter 1 3,524 04-12-2016, 09:18 AM
Last Post: CaptO
  World War II, Korean vets get their medals Walt's Daughter 1 2,882 01-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  WWII vets hold annual reunion in Tawas MI Walt's Daughter 0 1,956 07-12-2011, 06:39 PM
  WWII VETS - were you ever re-issued dog-tags? Walt's Daughter 45 35,401 03-17-2011, 08:35 PM
  German town asks WWII vets to come back Walt's Daughter 1 2,813 04-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Last Post: Dogdaddy
  Bomber Vets Fly Again! Walt's Daughter 0 2,069 10-01-2009, 08:14 AM
  American House honors 3 WWII vets - Michigan Walt's Daughter 0 2,231 09-23-2009, 09:11 AM
  more WWII Howard Vets arve 3 4,447 08-25-2007, 10:35 AM
  WW 2 vets left twobisquit 5 5,266 12-17-2006, 07:14 PM
Last Post: Onaway417
  The hotdog vendors - Great vets! Walt's Daughter 5 5,211 07-09-2006, 05:59 PM