Forums

Full Version: Vets are Disappearing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

:usa::usa:

This is getting scary;-

VetsDisappearing.jpg

sgtleo :armata_PDT_19::armata_PDT_19::banghead:

I hate this. :(

One day there will only be a few, like the WWI veterans scattered about the world today. I will say, hey I remember when these guys were everywhere!! Like my grandpa can say about the WWI veterans. When he was a kid there were still a few Civil War vets around.

Brooke

The one's that are finally going to that great rest area in the sky are mostly in their 80's, HM!! RJR

Yes, the quote is from a friend of mine, Don Burgett. Lennon also has the pleasure of knowing him.

Yes it is sad, and I for one don't like to think about it AT ALL, since I now can proudly claim to have dozens upon dozens of YOU as VERY GOOD FRIENDS.

But, as far as remembering ALL OF YOU, YOU won't be FORGOTTEN because you have people like Lennon, and Chambers, Mec1945, and myself to make sure this DOES NOT OCCUR! We are gathering in strength and numbers, and will make sure that our cause goes on and on and on. :armata_PDT_37:

I'll be talking about you guys when I'm old and gray. I'll be telling the nursing home girls all about you!

:armata_PDT_37:

Brooke

Wonder what those fellers at the ANZIO reunion will look like. I suppose there will be oxygen tanks scattered about in the hotel. If there are some C\E's there I will sure get their names and I still have several of your bus. cards that I wll take. For a meeting, how does INDPLS, IND. SOUND. Just a thought. I'll have my green card to show I'm legit. Rocky

:(:(:(

If you plannned on calling a Vet friend today PLEASE do it!!

Yesterday I was to call a friend but got caught up in my care taking duties so

I decided to put it off until this morning. While I went to get the paper this AM

his son called and told me he had passed away quietly last night after supper.

For the record he was Alvin Shofner of Lonedell, MO who had served his country

with the 507th PIR Regt. of the 17th AB Div. in WW II.

This is the type thing I was talking about with the disappearing Vets.

RIP my friend crossandrifle.gif

17thABDiv.gif

Sgtleo

I recently heard the figure had risen to 2000 Veterans of WWII are leaving us each day. I haven't felt secure about our government since the WWII generation handed the reigns to mine (Baby Boomers) and that's no BS. The last US president I really respected was George Bush Senior. I too will truly miss these guys deeply when they are gone.

Jim

My condolences to you Sarge. Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. This certainly brings home the point about not waiting to talk to folks and telling them how you feel. Just to reiterate those words, I should say how much all of you mean to me this evening. With many hugs and love to all.

:pal:

Oh I will let my buddy Howard Huebner know about this. He was a member of the 82nd and then 17th Airborne, 507th.

:banghead::banghead:

I am still PO'd that Monty kept the news of the 507 PIR Regt. of the 17th AB Div. participation in Operation Varsity out of the news for 4 days after the 17th had jumped across the Rhine into Wesel Germany and it was a long time before many knew that it wasn't just the Brit 6th AB Div.(Red Devils) that did the jump!!

It is ironic to me that my friend (Alvin Shofner)a member of the 507th PIR died on March 24,2007 just exactly 63 years after the March 24th, 1944 jump. Must be getting old I forgot this until last night after I had shut down.

Sgtleo :armata_PDT_19::armata_PDT_19:

Pages: 1 2