new info on the 540th

It's always so much fun and so exciting to receive letters from "my" vets. I never know what's going to be inside and it's always a treat no matter what the content. :D

Today I received a letter from Cliff Duncan, 540th Combat Engineer, and he gave me more details. Here's a preview of what will be added to the site:

The 540th was in direct support of the following units at various times during WWII:

• 9th Infantry Division - 47th & 60th Infantry Regiments
  • 1st Division - 18th Infantry Regiment
  • 2nd Armored Division
  • 82nd Airborne
  • Darby's Rangers
  • 3rd Infantry Division - 7th & 30th Infantry Regiments
  • 36th Infantry Division - 141st, 142nd, & 143rd Infantry Regiments
  • British 5th Division
  • 14th Armored Division - 62nd Armored Infantry Battalion & 125th Armored Engineer Battalion
  • 117th Cavalry
  • 45th Infantry Division - 179th Infantry Regiment
Great list and that helps me tremendously. More specifics to go on. Thanks a ton Cliff. Forever grateful am I!!! ^_^

Here's more info on the Anzio Invasion:

Made a 2 AM (nightime) landing. Mine clearance and obstruction removal across RED BEACH - area bordered by Anzio in the North, Canal Mussolini to the South. Supervision of off loading of DUKW's and other personnel carriers and equipment. Later rehabilitation of jetty, port of Anzio, reconstruction of bridges and roads throughout beachhead perimeter. Participation in breakout on May 26th and liberation of Rome, June 4-6, 1944.

The 540th was often responsible for its own area defense. This resulted in an expanded Table of Equipement (T/E) which included Sherman tanks, half tracks, and anti-tank guns, in addition to bazookas and the more usual equipment.

Some of this special hardware was employed in two behind the lines reconaissance landings in Sicily, employed in support of the Rangers during the Anzio landing, in support of the Canadian-American Special Forces along Canal Mussolini, and later during the Rhine River crossing in March of 1945.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Marion, is there a list which states at which times the 540th was attached to these units??

I am working on several of these units and although I haven't come any reference to the 540th yet, I will keep on looking, but timeframes might come in handy. Is there something like that readily avaialble???

I am looking into the history, but don't have the specifics yet. I am planning on ordering all the after-action reports from NARA soon and that should help me fill in all the blanks. I will keep you posted on anything I find.

Marion J Chard

Stevin,

What units are you interested in??

Also, besides knowing the unit, it would help to know WHEN the 540th was with them. Some of those divisions, like the 1st, 3rd and 36th were in Italy and in France/Germany---same as the 540th.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Sorry, missed this post. Basically I am interested in all unites that fought in NW Europe. I started out my reserach on the 82nd Airborne, but as I research the lives and deaths of all Allied soldiers in the Netherlands, I also come to research many, many units. Check my website to see what I am trying to do (www.basher82.nl) Units that fought in Holland, I have a special interest in. recently I looked into the 82nd Combat Egnineers.

I do want to research a unit in depth, just because it is great fun, but don't know what unit. Hope to combine it with my History study at university.

Stevin,

Man!! Are you trying to document every soldier buried at Margraten American Military Cemetery?!?!?!? Wowser!

Cool site. I like the format of your biographies. I have something like that on my site. Where do you find all that info? Such as the photo of the original internment of Pfc Robert E. Morneweck, 101st AB? Look at that! You have a soldier from the Italian Campaign; Private Bolton Grant of the S. African troops.

I also like your book reviews. I have several books listed on my site and a brief description. If you want to add any to your site, then I can write a longer description. My most recent purchase was "Alone and Unarmed".

From your list of Americans, it appears that most are airmen. I see the 30th and 35th Divisions. I was surprised to see the 2nd Armored---I didn't think they were in that area.

Back to the units that Marion listed.... I think all of these fall into either two different Armies at two different times and locations. Some of these were with the 5th Army in Italy. That includes the 82nd Airborne early in the campaign. Believe it or not, the 2nd Armored Division was a reserve unit in the battle for Sicily but it was not deployed in Italy(the 1st Armored Div replaced them). The others, I assume, were units that were in the 7th Army in France. And some divisions were in both armies.

If you are only interested only units that fought in the campaigns in France/Germany, then from what little I know about the 540th Engineers, you should follow the trail of the 7th US Army.

I'm at a point where I need to order Op Reports and General Orders and AAR and I need to know the best way to go about doing this--other than going to the National Archives myself. Any tips??

PS: The link for Sgt Clawson of 101st Airborne doesn't work.

Steve

GI Biographies

My Reference Library

Believe it or not, the 2nd Armored Division was a reserve unit in the battle for Sicily but it was not deployed in Italy(the 1st Armored Div replaced them). The others, I assume, were units that were in the 7th Army in France. And some divisions were in both armies.

You are correct, the 2nd Armored Division was deployed in Sicily with the 540th, then again with the 7th Army in Southern France.

When I get my 540th history outline completed, you will be able to see more info. I just haven't had the time to do so yet, but am making great progress. I will be able to fill in info like this as we go.

Marion J Chard

Wow Steve, What a site!!!!! I love the Bio's. Of course, as a book collector I love the reference page as well. Since I put the books on my site, I have recieved about another 10 vet books that I need to put on there. And I have three more coming!

I will spent more time going through your site. It looks really great and a great tribute to these men.

I hope to have ALL Allied soldiers that were KIA and/or buried in The Netherlands. There are 8301 in Margraten plus the ones that died here but are buried elsewhere. And then the Commonwealth airboys and grunts. Those are 10.000s. Don't know how many. At the moment IU am concentrating on the Americans as I get most hits from the States and by far the most reactions as well.

The last year I have been getting a lot of information on soldiers form their families that have visited my site. I am working on about 25 men right now to put on line.

usually I go to a cemetery, take pictures and then start researching the lives of these men. In books, internet, archives. I also try to contact their family and perhaps veterans that might have known them. Often I end up with at least something to write. You can also get their 293 file (deceased file) from teh Personel Command in VA.

I must say that I keep buying books all the time. I often get help from fellow researchers and family and vets. I also try Associations and archives liek NARA and PRO in England. I got all of Robert Morneweck's information from his brother, Art, a regular on this forum as well.

There are several soldiers that the US Graves Registration found dead in Gewrman POW camps. They took them to Margraten to be ID'ed. In the late 1940's the commonwealth soldiers were reinterred in Nederweert War Cemetery and all other nationalities in Amersfoort. So that is why we have a SOuth African and an Indian buried there.

The 2nd Armored actually libertaed a small part of Holland in the SOuth East. Most of their casulaties that are today buried in Margraten were KIA in the Battle for the Rhineland, in Nov-Oct 1944, just over the Dutch German border. I have two of them on line and a couple of others will soon follow. There are a lot of Americans buried in Margarten from different units that were KIA in a few days time. Also the days that Robert Morneweck was killed; A lot of Americans KIA on 12 and 13 April 1945.

I changed the link for Sgt Clawson. Thanks for pointing that out!

I will sent you a email on NARA. I went there a couple of years ago and what a facility!!! It is great doing research there but I advise that when you visit, you let them know in advance what you going to need, as you might end up waiting quite a while. I have a contact in NARA that is very usefull. It is possible to have the documents you need sent to you (on photocopy or microfiche). I have loads of MACRs (Missing AIr Crew Reports) from them. I also need loads of AARs etc. but lack teh money at the time. I suggest you visit their side and get aquanted (sp?) with their holdings, so when you order stuff you can let them know where to look for it. Saves A LOT of time! When you can't find what you are looking for youcan also mail them, but it will take some time before they get back to you.

I will add a link to your site. If there is anything I can help you with, just let me know. WOuld love to be of assistance. The more these men are being commemorated and rememered, the better.

Regards,

Stevin

I will add a link to your site. If there is anything I can help you with, just let me know. WOuld love to be of assistance.

I've already linked to your page. I don't know of any way you can help me, as "my boys" didn't make it to Holland---except maybe as POWs.

I have a few books that I sell in my PX.

"Alone and Unarmed" - First printed in 1968 and now re-relased.

"And There Shall Be Wars"

Both are signed by the Veterans, who are still with us.

Another new print is "Through My Eyes: 91st Infantry Division in the Italian Campaign, 1942-1945 " by Leon Weckstein. I'm not as wild about it as it doesn't match the style and honesty of the above books. He gets into bragging territory. And maybe I can get you a few of the others in my Library when they pop up on eBay. Let me know. I just shipped a copy of "Alone and Unarmed" to Dresden. There is a crazy Italian who wants 2 copies. He is restoring an L-5 Cub and he wants to read how these a/c were used in Italy.

So that is why we have a SOuth African and an Indian buried there.

And don't forget the Nisei soldier of the 442RCT. Captured while rescuing the "Lost Battalion" and shot by Russian liberators. Still MIA. What a story.

I am slowly adding a unit history of the 442RCT to my site from the WW2 booklet given out to the soldiers.

Steve

History of 442RCT

Itsumu Sasaoka is mentioned on the Margraten wall of the missing. His body was never recovered. I read about a smiliar case on an emailring recently. There seem to be 39 cases like that; Americans who disappeared after the Russians took over their PoW camps.

I suggest contacting the organisations I have listed on Sasaoka's page. The help I got from them was absolutely amazing.

I'll contact you on the books in your PX. I have one self published book available myself of a 1st Armored Division Vet.

Stevin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Searching info about Earl G. Ford, Staff Sergeant 147th CE Alain147 0 2,664 02-03-2022, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Alain147
  Info on 1017th Treadway Bridge Co Walt's Daughter 6 9,694 03-25-2019, 03:01 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Info on the 1277th - John Priest Walt's Daughter 3 4,401 09-25-2018, 09:36 AM
  Looking for INFO 125th Combat Engineers of the 14th Armored Division mepaw 40 44,530 09-24-2018, 06:33 PM
  145th ECB photos and info 145ECB 2 3,851 07-11-2018, 09:17 PM
Last Post: 145ECB
  Info on Richard Conn - 540th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 5 8,513 01-23-2018, 05:24 PM
  Info on Milton Brodsky and 346th Engineer General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 0 4,143 02-18-2016, 12:26 PM
  info on 1058th Engineers - Melvin E Olsen Walt's Daughter 3 4,542 12-08-2015, 11:04 PM
Last Post: parker
  info regarding captured German Sabre - 39th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 3 4,410 04-22-2015, 12:39 PM
  Miscellaneous info on various engineer units Walt's Daughter 2 3,998 10-22-2013, 08:54 AM