Engineer Patch - 341st General Srv Reg

My Uncle George was in the 341st Engineer Gen. Serv. Reg. In the one picture of him that I have seen he is wearing his dress uniform which has a shoulder patch that is round. Inside this round circle are cross hairs with the diagonal quarters colored in. It looks like cross hairs one sees in a rifle scope or a transit. I think this photo was taken in 1943 before he shipped out for Europe.

Can anyone shed some light on this? My research so far is that the 341st was a part of 1st Army for a little while in France and later 3rd Army after the breakout. I am not positive of this so if anyone knows for sure I would love to hear.

Thanks,

Parker

It looks like cross hairs one sees in a rifle scope

What are the colors??

If it is a Blue and White---the cross hairs blue and the background white, then that would be the 35th Infantry Division, which was part of Patton's Army.

BTW, yesterday I bought a DVD copy of "Kelly's Heroes" with my main man Clint. They were wearing the shoulder patch of the 35ID.

Click on the Link in my Signature and scroll down past the table to see the shoulder patches of the Infantry Divisions. Of course, his patch could be a special Engineer unit patch and not in this table.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the reply but the patch is not the 35 ID. I checked like you suggested and it is close but no cigar. This photograph is somewhat colorized but the coloring inside the patch looks brown. Maybe this will help..... The crosshairs run from the edge of the patch to the edge of the patch. They are not inset like the 35th ID. To be honest the patch in the photo looks subdued. Does that help at all?

thanks,

parker

The 341st were a general service engineering regiment. I will have more info within the next few hours. Am scanning some pages for you. ;)

Later this same afternoon...

Doh!!! Realized I had given this to you previously. Sorry. Will try and find info on the patch however.

You can try writing to Richard Horrell of WWII Connections too. He has over 5000 books in his collection. He very well may have info on the patch that he wore.

http://www.ww2connections.com

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I thought I'd post this first, while I am copying etc.

Found this here for you:

http://oldbaglady.pbwiki.com/Unit%20Histories

#5893 Coe, Edward (Ed) : HISTORY OF THE 341ST ENGINEER REGIMENT July 29, 1943 - March 22, 1946. 1st Edition 1st Printing, Illus TypeB&W Photographs VG/very slight shelf wear spine, otherwise nice cond. Red cover, tight cond. From July 1943 to March 1946. Pictoral history. Small 4to - 9" to 11" Unpaginated pgs. Hardcover / $135.00

Marion J Chard

Hey can you scan that photo for me Parker? That would help tremendously.

Marion J Chard

I will try to scan/copy this photograph. The problem is the photo is in a gold leaf frame in my Mom's house. I will do what I can but Mom is more than a little protective of this picture.

Thank's for the info (web site) that has the book "History of the 341st". As always you are truly a great help.

Parker

I am picking up several insignia books within the next couple of weeks and that will really help us out. I'll let you know when I get them.

I can't blame your mom regarding the photo. I know you won't, but please don't take it out of the frame if you think you might damage it. We will figure this out one way or the other. :pdt34:

Marion J Chard

Marion,

Went over to Mon's after work and between my brother and I we took some pictures of Uncle George's picture. We did not take it out of the frame so Mom was happy. Tell me how to E-mail them to you please. They are on a CD.

Color me happy and feel free to post it or whatever. Thanks.

Parker

Let's see that thang.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  343rd Engineer General Service Regiment hwhiting 51 57,735 03-22-2019, 11:19 AM
Last Post: CaptO
  359th General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 12 24,423 03-10-2018, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  351st General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 62 59,439 09-19-2017, 08:02 PM
  38th Engineer General Service Regiment Jeff B. 13 18,301 04-22-2017, 10:57 AM
  Johnny Thompson - 341st Engineer and Nascar driver! Walt's Daughter 7 10,826 12-14-2016, 08:32 AM
  Info on Milton Brodsky and 346th Engineer General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 0 4,150 02-18-2016, 12:26 PM
  Paul Meek - 368th Engineer General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 1 5,027 11-04-2014, 06:40 AM
Last Post: colinhotham
  General Moses and the Pontoon Bridge Walt's Daughter 2 4,420 01-15-2014, 09:56 AM
  94th General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 0 2,271 08-13-2012, 05:46 PM
  History of the 344th Engineer General Service Regiment Walt's Daughter 5 9,602 04-16-2012, 02:35 PM