US Army Divisions Print - History Shots

Rocky: Just got home, read your message and pulled out my book. Is now opened to page 640...

"They advanced across North Africa and up the Italian boot while the Division amassed 517 days of combat. One or more 34th Division units were engaged in actual combat with the enemy 611 days. The Division was credited with more combat days than any division in the Theatre. The 34th Division suffered 3,337 killed in action, 14,165 wounded in action, and 3,460 missing in action, for a total of 21,362 battle casualties. Casualties of the Division are considered to be the highest of any Division in the theatre when daily per capita fighting strengths are considered..."

More to follow...

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Hey Rocky. If I mailed you my copy of the book, would you do me the honor of signing it for me? I would be mightily thankful and obliged.

Marion J Chard

Custermen; Just to keep the story straight. It was

the 34th. (RED BULL), Divn. that had the most days of combat not

the 32nd.

Hey! I agree with you. I'm just reporting what "they" said. I'm not sure which division was in the Pacific (the Philippines, to be exact) when the war began. And if a division was taken captive, do they get credit for time in combat?? I wouldn't think so.

While reading "An Army at Dawn", I've been paying close attention to the RED BULL division and units. According to this book, the 175th Field Artillery Battalion was the first American unit to go into combat against the German Wehrmacht. I guess that is ruling out the commando raids that used small units or fraction of units. That prompted me to purchase a DI pin for the 175FA to add to my collection.

It also mentions the beating that the 168th Regiment took.

Where you there in N. Africa?? Were you in any of these desert battles?

Steve

Maid Marion,Hi again. :It will certenly be a pleasure to sign your book.

Is your book signed by Homer R. Ankrum? If it is not I will send you my book

with his signature and I will keep yours.

Custermen; I joined the 34th at the last battle, Siddi Bel Abez, The 168th Regt.

along with its artillery went in at Algiers, N. A. Nov. 7.

You will have to read the book mentioned on page 159 and on. The 1st Ranger

Bn. knicknamed "Darby's Rangers" was formed in No. Ireland from 80%

of men from the 34th. Capt. William Darby commanding. page93,235,303,445

and 494. Tell you what custermen, read the whole book!!!!!! Roque

Marion==ROQUE J.RIOJAS

2131 Madison Ave.

Kansas City,Mo. 64108-2252

816-474-5371

Dear Rocky Racoon: Funny I was just telling my husband more about you tonight as we sat around the dining room table. Told him how we hit it off immediately and how I had just asked you about signing my book. Then I read your MOST generous offer. I am very overwhelmed with your kind spirit, generosity and love. What would I do without you guys. Really, you all have made my life so much better. Damn, I'm getting all weepy again.

That is so sweet of you. Are you sure you want to part with your signed copy in turn for mine? I don't know what to say beside thanks and I love ya!

:wub::wub:

Marion J Chard

I joined the 34th at the last battle, Siddi Bel Abez,

I can't find that in "An Army at Dawn". When you say "the last battle", do you refer to the final push thru Tunisia and the capture of Bizerte?? I'm almost finished the book; I'm at the battle of Fondouk Pass.

I also searched the pages you reference. Are those from that book? I can't find them. But I have read the part about Darby's Rangers. When the 45th Division got hit hard at Anzio, Darby was placed in charge of the 179th Infantry Regiment in Feb 1944 for a brief period.

I like what this book has about him under the photo caption: "No one who met him ever doubted that he was born to lead other men in the dark of night". While leading Task Force Darby, he was mortally wounded by a single artillery shell at the end of the Italian Campaign near Riva on the shore of Lake Garda on 29 April 1945.

Tell you what custermen, read the whole book!!!!!!

I'm reading and re-reading it. Great stuff. It helps understand what happened next in Sicily and Italy.

Steve

Custermen;; See my post of April 26,10;02pm YOU ARE READING

THE WRONG BOOK

MARION I MEANT WHAT I SAID. JUST SEND ME THE BOOK

HELLO!!!!MARION'S HUSBAND. Marion PUT YOUR PHONE No. on a

note and I will give you a call, it will be after 9pm if that's OK. Rocky

Ouch! "Dogfaces Who Smiled Through Tears" is $90 on Abebooks and Amazon, and $109 on Alibris($59.95 used), $95 on Biblio, and surpirse surprise no library in the state of WV even has it.

Sigh..........................

Brooke

Ouch is right. If my memory serves me right, I ordered mine directly through the Red Bulls. Let me look into it.

These books get more and more expensive as the years go by...

Marion J Chard

ORDER THE BOOK "

dogfaces who smiled through tears", by e-mail to the-----------

34th Divn. Assoc. Natl. Secretary,Treaserer----------------------

JERRY L. GORDEN--jlg34d@msn.com phone 515-276-5677.

Our reunion isn't till First week in Sept. That's when I will see him

or he will watch me preside at the reunion.