Forums

Full Version: US Army Divisions Print - History Shots
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Never saw this before. Take a look!

http://www.historyshots.com/usarmy/index.cfm

U.S. Army Divisions in World War II, provides a graphic overview of the formation, expansion, and campaign history of all 91 divisions of the U.S. Army Ground Forces from 1939 to 1945. Every infantry, armored, airborne, mountain and cavalry division is represented. In addition to a high-level overview of the complete mobilization of the U.S. Army, detailed information for each division is mapped including: dates of activation, movement overseas, and entry into combat; commanding generals; casualty and days of combat figures; and more. Detailed maps of each theater show divisional campaign histories and provide a unique perspective of the size and flow of the entire war. This print provides you with all the information you need to understand the scope and flow of the U.S. Army during World War II.

This print is dedicated to the men and women who have served and are serving with the U.S. Army.

This print is printed on high-quality, fine art, acid-free archival paper. It was printed on a Heidelberg offset press. In addition to the four-color printing process, each print is sealed with aqueous-satin coating to provide further longevity.

Below are snapshots of the print at the actual size. Notes: 1) that the print quality of colors and text sharpness are superior to the images below and 2) the colors of the print are slightly different than the colors in the images.

Across the top is a complete overview of the entire U.S. Army divisional force mobilized for World War II. In one sweeping view, you can see information on all 91 divisions including: nickname, type, source, theater deployment, organization, and World War I service.

At the left and below are snapshots of the middle section of the print. This section displays the chronology of each division during the war. For every division the following content is mapped: date of activation, date of deployment overseas, date of combat entry, the length of time training, and the length of time overseas before combat. All commanding generals for each division that served during the war are charted. Also, days of combat, the number of casualties and end-of-war status are provided.

There is a detailed map for each theater of the war showing the campaign history of every division that fought in the theater. This provides both a high-level view of the entire theater plus an indepth view of the campaign chronology for each division. Below is a snapshot of the European Theater.

Complex map but interesting. It says the 32nd Division had the most days in combat: 654.

Wonder what the color codes represent?

Cool

Okay you buy one first... :D Then let me know... :D

Marion: Excellent chart on the Divisional units. However it does make one wonder

just whar in hell "days of combat" consisted of in interperterting this phrase. Looking at the chart I see the 3rd Inf. Div had 531 days of combat yet sustained 25,977 battle casualties and the 32nd Inf. had 654 "days of combat" yet only sustained 7,268 battle casualties. Also, the 4th Inf Div sustained 22,660 battle casualties and was not in the

top 10 of "days of combat. Also noticed the 101 A.B. Div was not listed in the casualty

count or the "days of combat" . Kinda makes one wonder about the true meaning of what "days of combat" really is and its true meaning. But gal, these facts sure opened

my eyes in a way.

I contacted the creators today regarding their fine print and hope that I will hear back from them.

I would like to compare the division stats to others. Let's see what we can come up with.

Later that same day...

I heard back from them this afternoon and we have arranged to barter; I will advertise for them and in exchange I will receive the WWII Divisions print, and one other of my choosing. How very nice. I love the barter system. :pdt34:

Will let everyone know when I receive my prints. I am very excited. This should be a fine addition to my office collection.

Thanks in advance Larry!

Joe and Steve:

Here are their sources for the information they compiled for this print:

Credits

Concept, research, and data: Larry Gormley

Design: Larry Gormley and Kimberly Cloutier

Sources

Sources used in the creation of the U.S. Army Divisions of World War II print are:

The Army Almanac: A Book of Facts Concerning the Army of the United States DC: United States Government Printing Office, 1950.

Atkinson, Rick. An Army at Dawn The War in North Africa, 1942-1943. New York: Henry Holt and Company, 2002.

Bergerud, Eric. Touced With Fire, The Land War In The South Pacific. New York: Penguin Books, 1996.

Dunnigan, James F. & Albert A. Nofi. The Pacific War Encyclopedia. New York: Checkmark Books, 1998.

Forty, George. US Army Handbook 1939 - 1945. New York: Barnes & Noble Books, 1995.

Griess, Thomas E. West Point Atlas for the Second World War: Asia and the Pacific. Garden City City Park, NY: Square One Publishers, 2002.

Griess, Thomas E. West Point Atlas for the Second World War: Europe and the Mediterranean . Wayne, New Jersey: Avery Publishing Group, 1985.

Kahn, Jr., E. J. & Henry McLemore Fighting Divisions DC: The Infantry Journal, 1945.

Lerwill, Leonard L. The Personnel Replacement System, U.S. Army DC: Department of the US Army, 1954.

Mansoor, Peter R. The GI Offensive in Europe, The Triumph of American Infantry Divisions, 1941-1945. Lawrence, Kansas: University Press of Kansas, 1999.

Palmer, Dr. Robert R. The Mobilization Of The Ground Army The Army Ground Forces Study No. 4. 1946

Porch, Douglas. The Path to Victory, The Nediterranean Theater in World War II. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2004.

Stanton, Shelby L. Order of Battle, U.S. Army, World War II Novato, CA: Presido, 1984.

Weigley, Russell F. History of the United States Army. New York: The Macmillan Company, 1967.

Wilson, John B. Armies, Corps, Divisions, and Separate Brigades, Army Lineage Series DC: Center of Military History US Army, 1999.

Wilson, John B. Maneuver and Firepower, The Evolutions of Divisions and Separate Brigades, Army Lineage Series DC: Center of Military History US Army, 1999.

Other sources:

Army Battle Casualties and Nonbattle Deaths in World War II, Final Report, 1 December 1941 - 31 December 1946.

US Government Web Sites:

The United States Army

US Army Center of Military History

Custermen; Just to keep the story straight. It was

the 34th. (RED BULL), Divn. that had the most days of combat not

the 32nd. I think your finger slipped, That was between all of No. Africa

and Italy.. Roque. Joe did you ever hear of the 32nd?

Rocky:

The 32nd fought in the Pacific Theatre.

32nd Infantry Division

Name: 32nd

Type: Infantry

Nickname: Red Arrow

Source: National Guard

Theater: Pacific

Casualties: 7,268

Days of Combat: 654

Activation Date: 15 Oct 40

Date Sent Overseas: 14 May 42 (Australia)

Date Entered Combat: 16 Sep 42 (Port Moresby)

Status June 1946: inactivated 28 Feb 46

Other Wars: WW I

Commanding General(s): Maj. Gen. Irving Fish (Oct 40 - Mar 42)

Maj. Gen. Edwin F. Harding (Mar 42 - Jan 43)

Maj. Gen. William H. Gill (Feb 43 - inactivation)

Campaign(s): Papua (23 Jul 42 - 23 Jan 43)

New Guinea (24 Jan 43 - 31 Dec 44)

Leyte (17 Oct 44 - 1 Jul 45)

Luzon (15 Dec 44 - 4 Jul 45)

Southern Philippines (27 Feb 45 - 4 Jul 45)

Casualties

The ten divisions with the most battle casualties are presented below. Casualties are defined as killed in action, wounded in action, captured and interned, and missing in action.

Casualties - Division - Theater

25,977 - 3rd Infantry Division - Mediterranean & European

23,277 - 9th Infantry Division - Mediterranean & European

22,660 - 4th Infantry Division - European

20,993 - 45th Infantry Division - Mediterranean & European

20,659 - 1st Infantry Division - Mediterranean & European

20,620 - 29th Infantry Division - European

19,466 - 36th Infantry Division - Mediterranean & European

19,200 - 90th Infantry Division - European

18,446 - 30th Infantry Division - European

17,087 - 80th Infantry Division - European

Source: Army Battle Casualties and Nonbattle Deaths in World War II, Final Report, 1 December 1941 - 31 December 1946.

Days of Combat

The ten divisions with the most days of combat are listed below.

Days of Combat - Division - Theater

654 - 32nd Infantry Division Pacific

600* - Americal Infantry Division Pacific

592 - 37th Infantry Division Pacific

531 - 3rd Infantry Division Mediterranean & European

521 - 1st Cavalry Division Pacific

511 - 45th Infantry Division Mediterranean & European

500 - 34th Infantry Division Mediterranean

443 - 1st Infantry Division Mediterranean & European

422 - 82d Airborne Mediterranean & European

400 - 36th Infantry Division Mediterranean & European

* - estimated

Sources: The Army Almanac: A Book of Facts Concerning the Army of the United States; Order of Battle, U.S. Army, World War II

NOTE: I will check other sources and list them here as well. Thanks everyone for their input! Maid Marion

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5