Roque JRiojas

The 36th were part of the 5th and 7th Army and VI Corps. I have a history of the 36th which isn't up on the website yet.

Here's something I discovered tonight. This is from Capt John Fallon of the 36th CE. This was in reference to the First Special Service Force:

I could expand a little on the First Special Service Force. When we were relieved from the Moletta River Front to get scraped off and some replacements we had only a few days to train them.. The Regiment ordered each of the Lieutenants who had the British Commando Training in Africa to go with two non-coms to the Musolini Canal Front with the FSSF. Our job was to learn the terrain and be ready to take over the positions when the Regiment followed up in about a week. I went along with the evening patrols as a rifleman with an experienced FSSF Sergeant leading and my non-coms did the same. It was quite an experiences and we learned plenty to run the patrols and raids when the rest came up.

The FSSF never got the opportunity to blow out the Heavy Water plant in Norway which they were originally trained for but they did a heck of a job wherever they went. They spearheaded the assault out of Anzio and later went to France to outpost the line between France and Italy. They had been supplemented by the survivors of Darby's Rangers and actually were wasted in France. Eventually they were converted to the 343rd Infantry Regiment and the Canadian Soldiers returned to Canadian Divisions.

36 Engineers are rugged......John Fallon II. Capt. USA Ret.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

More regarding the 36th CE and the 3rd Inf Div. This is a Brief History written by Capt Fallon.

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/doc...History36th.PDF

This article and others can be found on the main site on the 36th's History Page.

Marion J Chard

PS I'll buy one of the cds.

Send me your address (I think I had it before, but lost some addresses a few months ago...). I will mail you one. No problem. :D

Marion J Chard

Mr. Riojas

I was reading one of the introduction posts and saw that you had spent some time in scotland..My wifes uncle, Stephen Gracan was with Darbys Rangers. I'm not sure if he came from the 3rd ID. Also I thik my Dad was attached to the 3rd ID in France.

Chris

Twobisquit: No I never was in Scotland. The Divn.,(34th), went to

Northern Ireland in Feb. '42 and took training there for the invasion

of No. Africa, (Algiers Nov. '42) But thanks for thinking of me. Roque Riojas

Hello Mr. Riojas,

I just finished watching a History Channel DVD about the Italian campaign and wanted to ask you a question. Did you ever encounter any Italian troops who were actually fighting there? All I saw was alot of Germans! ;) Also heard that when Italy decided to stop fighting with Germany it took only a handful of motorcycled German troops to disarm two entire Italian Divisions!!!

All kidding aside, the impression I got is that you were in one of the roughest campaigns of WWII..terrible hard fighting in miserable conditions. Thank you for your service and thank you for sharing with us your wartime memories Sir.

Jim

Hello Mr. Riojas,

I just finished watching a History Channel DVD about the Italian campaign and wanted to ask you a question. Did you ever encounter any Italian troops who were actually fighting there? All I saw was alot of Germans! ;) Also heard that when Italy decided to stop fighting with Germany it took only a handful of motorcycled German troops to disarm two entire Italian Divisions!!!

All kidding aside, the impression I got is that you were in one of the roughest campaigns of WWII..terrible hard fighting in miserable conditions. Thank you for your service and thank you for sharing with us your wartime memories Sir.

Jim

Dogdaddy; In answer to your question about fighting in Italy.

First the Italion troops we USED, were used as mule skinners with three

GI's,one in front one in the middle and one bringing up the rear. Italy

surrendered when we,(34th), was headed for Salerno. As far as engaging

the enemy, we fought from hill to hill,mountain to mountain,town to town.

And yes there were some bad ones. Benevento, Mt. Pantano,Mt. Marrone,

San Vittore, the town of Cassino then Monte Cassino, where the Monastary

was and now is the new one built with your dollars. Anzio, the breakthrough

past Rome, Po valley, Bologna . Hell when we came down off the mountains

some had to be carried down in strechers,(trench foot), their boots had to be

cut off. Thank the LORD I came down ,No Problema, Hot Mexican blood!

I will tell you that we,(34th) waS NOT the only ones there. The 10th mtn. Divn.

the 3rd I.D. the 45th, the 36th. !st Armoured. I think you can call it a

team effort. Hey Joe you reading this? Also Watson Jones, give your sayso.

Y'all ketch me later it's 10pm mama just hollered from my favorite room.

Bye now. Roque. Dogdaddy if you can get the book like Marion has,GET IT.

Roque,

I just finished reading my 1945 edition of Bill Mauldin's book "Up Front", and it was quite obvious that Bill had a special place in his heart for the guys that served in Italy!

:woof:

Jim

Rocky has his own page as of today. I'm sure we will add more to it too! :pdt34:

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/RoqueRiojas.htm

Marion J Chard

Rocky has his own page as of today. I'm sure we will add more to it too! :pdt34:

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/RoqueRiojas.htm

MARION, AGAIN FROM THE BOTTOM OF THIS DOGFACE'S HEART, I THANK YOU, ROQUE

Rocky, you're such a handsome devil!!

:wub:

Brooke