WWII DOCUMENTARIES ON DVD

Glad to provide some weekend entertainment ;) . You know, while I was watching that DVD, a thought occurred to me. It's no wonder the Red Army had so many casualties, besides their tactics. Most of them didn't even have helmets to wear into battle...just soft wool sidecaps! A steel pot can't deflect everything, but's it's a damn site better than nothing at all... :(

:woof: Daddy

Here's another good one available from the History Channel store..."Dead Men's secrets" Escape from Hitler's Bunker. I must admit that until seeing this I didn't know about the final whereabouts of Martin Boormann & Heinrich Mueller, head of the Gestapo! Boorman's remains were discovered in Berlin in 1972, close to the Fuhrer Bunker. Mueller is the real surprise....In 2001 secret US documents were declassified which revealed that he had been in US custody since 1946, and worked for the US during the Cold War in espionage. I know there are good reasons for this (at least at the time they were) but I was more than a little disappointed to learn about this. I can understand the need to use guys like Werner Von Braun for the space program, and he was really never guilty of Nazi war crimes as far as I know. Mueller is a different story. He was one of the most ruthless, and should have been hung up by the 'short arm' for the things he did. <_<

:direct:

DD

Saw part of that on the History Channel. Very intriguing. We learned a lot too. Someday will watch in its entirety.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Someday will watch in its entirety.

Your wish is my command! Say the word and a 'loaner DVD will be en route to VI Corps 'headquarters ! :D

DD, the DVD hound:)

:woof:

For anyone who is also interested in the war in the Pacific, here are two sets which I have found to be of excellent quality, with much COLOR footage of the Marine landings from start to finish:

(1) D-Days in the Pacific- History Channel 2-DVDS

(2) Iwo Jima...36 Days of Hell 3-DVDS

I don't think either set cost more than $20 (WWII documentaries are not the hottest items for kids to purchase :lol: ) and both are very informative and entertaining to watch (if you don't mind being very proud of our guys!) :pdt34:

Jim :woof:

I'll have to see if I have that in my repetoire. My husband loves all aspects of WWII as I do, but as he says, he favors the Pacific Theatre and I favor the ETO. :pdt: Sounds fair and balanced to me! ;)

Marion J Chard

I'll have to see if I have that in my repetoire. My husband loves all aspects of WWII as I do, but as he says, he favors the Pacific Theatre and I favor the ETO. :pdt: Sounds fair and balanced to me! ;)

Sounds like a marriage made in Heaven to me! :pal::heartpump:

Prit near danged close gosh oh me oh my! :drinkin:

Marion J Chard

Would also like to recommend one from the BBC....The Nazis....A warning from history". This one runs 290 minutes and is a very concise look at the rise & fall of the Nazi Party from 1933-1945. Also, very detailed look at the Holocaust and the factors which contributed to it.

DD :woof:

I just added a new one that I believe is only available right now from an ebay seller, but I have his info if you want to order. It's called "My Private War". It is all from the personal films taken by German soldiers during the invasion of Russia, and it has been translated into English. That means no nazi propaganda, just hardcore naked truth. It shows burning churches, executions and the general carnage of war as well as the mundane tasks of soldiering between the battles. It is narrated totally by the Germans who took the pictures and I am guessing this was made sometime in the 1960s, as they make reference to the war being over for "25 years or so". It is very interesting and straight forward. The outfit that distributes this DVD also has an extensive list of WWII military training films. Here'e the title of the DVD and the company. (I will provide the sellers email addy for anyone who wants it too.)

"MEIN KREIG"

M&M ENGINEERING

P.O. BOX 702

ARLINGTON,VT

05250 :pdt34::pdt34:

AND ONE OTHER THING! Forgot to mention one very interesting part...when the Germans are shown rejoicing after shooting a Russian fighter-bomber down....using only their K98 carbines!!!! :wacko:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Great Time to buy WWII Documentaries! afc7883 3 4,958 12-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Last Post: verow