papa Art WW2 Story's

Army Air Corps: When the Army Air Force recruited the college students in 1942 as Aviation Cadets from the colleges and universities across the land, then they told the students that they were needed as officers in the rapidly expanding Army Air Force and would become pilots, navigators, or bombardiers. Furthermore, those that did not choose to fly and had two years of college would become an Aviation Cadet Ground Crew and commissioned in armaments, communication, meteorology, photography, or engineering. But, when the AAF discovered at the end of 1943 that their over zealous recruiting and over estimation of loss rate had created a large surplus of pilots, they ignored all of the promises made to the college students and began transferring them to technical schools. This did not create a pleasant situation for the schools or the ex-cadets.

Post another story latter

Almost AWOL Christmas

Christmas Season 1943. I had been away from my fiancee for only 4 months

when I arrived at Gettysburg College as Air Corps Cadet. I was a homesick

fly boy. I called my Charlotte (Micky) and told her I missed her and was going

A.W.O.L. and come home to see her. Bang!! I got a stern voice saying, "No

you stay there†and she would come to see me. On Friday Dec 24 Micky came

with my mother and father. I met them at 9 A.M. The next three days were great.

Sunday night I walked (Gettysburg was only a couple of blocks in those days)

them to the Bus Stop. I said goodbye and slowly walked back to "Old Dorm."

which was our barracks and as the old song said "tears flowed like wine."

Art, when was the last time you piloted a plane?

I'm reading a book now that I think you would enjoy, it is called The Best of War Stories, comprised of personal experiences from the 8th Air Force. 66 in all. Good stuff.

Hugs,

Brooke

Brooke,

About a month ago I went up ,here is my story.

FLYING PT-17 Stearman

I am an old WWW2 cadet of Army Air Corp. (not Force) who was taught to fly the bye wing open cockpit by civilian instructors. Remember the stall, spin, up side down, slip, loop, engine shut off, clime, glide, elementary 8, and don’t forget the chandelles. Instructor saidâ€give me a Channnndelleâ€. Now 60 years later friends from church (Kelly & David Havrilla) have a friend Chris who owns a Stearman PT-17 and asked if I would like a ride. Yes I said and my mind started working, Remember wearing fatigues running out to the plane, strapping on a parachute jumping on wing, bouncing in rear cockpit, a civilian young girl starts cranking the engine, you turn the little switch and “off we go into the wild blue yonder†NOW that was 60 years ago. Yester-day we went to the Ann Arbor airfield to meet, Chris and a beautiful Blue and Yellow, white PT-17 plane. I walk slowly out and raise one leg up to the wing and dave pushes the rest of the body up on the wing. Grab the two handles, act like I am chinning my-self but really trying to get this body in the open cockpit. Once in the cockpit, Chris put the helmet and radio on my head. Kelly hooks the safety straps on me. Chris starts the engine and “off we go into the wild blue yonder. Once up a few thousand feet and Chris spoke the sweets words “ Art we will not do any acrobatics to-day, take over the controls. Turn left, that is easy that is the hand the watch is on. Now Chris said he would take over and land.. Then the tower comes on and said to go around again, some-body is on the runway. I thought must be Kelly, she wants to go up too. Kelly’s father owned a plane and she took lessons for pilot license. And Dave’s parents had a house next to Hartung Air field where I received my pilot license. The PT-17 is a nice little plane and it has fixed landing wheels. The AT-6 has retractable wheels and flaps. I know a cadet who on takes off dropped the flaps instead of raising the wheels, but that is another story.

papa

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Farewell to Papa Art - RIP Walt's Daughter 0 4,795 07-28-2008, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Papa's latest interview Walt's Daughter 0 3,968 01-11-2006, 08:33 AM
  Christmas Story Cadetat6 3 162,647 06-27-2005, 09:25 PM
  Air Cadet Story Cadetat6 1 96,486 12-20-2004, 12:56 AM
Last Post: chucktoo1926
  Unknown Story Cadetat6 1 54,974 12-01-2004, 07:42 PM