Unknown Story

WWII Unknown Stories


This is what I remember. If it helps good, if not it's something different.

July 8, 1945 I arrived at Leyte Island, July 25, 1945 arrived at Panay Island.

Japan surrendered August 14, 1945.

Sept. 8 or 15, 1945 we arrived at Inchon, Korea and took a train to Taegu, Korea. We were the first Americans the Koreans ever saw. We marched into the Japanese compound past the Japanese guard and stopped in front of a 2-story building we were to use as our barracks. Being in the first squad we marched to each guard post, the Japanese soldier fell in the rear of our column and one of our men took over the guard post. I took guard of the ammo dump and it was raining very hard. The Japanese soldiers were very cordial and bowed to each of us as we replaced them. When we got back from guard duty the Japanese were gone. The following night we were just getting in bed and the C.O. came in and told our squad to make a full field pack (with rations), get our rifles and ammunition, because of some trouble in town. We packed up (13 in our squad) and were taken to the city hall. We just got there and were standing at the gate when up from three directions came three Japanese soldiers running at us. To us it looked like the whole Japanese army was coming at us. Those rifles of our got loaded really quick and ready. The Japanese just came up to surrender to us Americans. They were afraid of the Korean Police. We were to guard some important criminal and political papers. My guard post was two vaults and it was pitch black. Here comes the kicker!! We were the regular army troops, but the only ones there so we were given M.P. helmets, M.P. arm bands and 45 caliber revolvers and we worked with the Korean Police. We set up our radios in police stations to talk to our jeep. There was a city block of houses, built side by side, no back door, and facing the courtyard. Only one way to get in and we were there to keep G.I.'s out from this whorehouse district. I don't know how they would get in but a Korean madam would come out saying American, American and we would have to go in and check each room and kick them out. Four of us were put at an out-post many miles from town at bottom of some mountains. Every morning a jeep with a hot stove would come and make us hot breakfast, the rest of the day k-rations or one time two of us took our rifles and got a few ducks. We were guarding a large barn. One day we looked in the barn and it was full of rice bowls. Many miles away another 4-man post was guarding parachutes. The Korean toilets were oblong holes in the floor and they had Honey dippers who would take away the human waste and spread it on their food gardens, everything grew twice as large as ours. We were not aloud to eat anything that came from the ground. We did not destroy any arms; I assumed the Japanese took them home with them. There was a room that had a few things we could have, I brought back a sword. We did turn in our rifles and they dunked in some preservation gook. I left Korea Feb. 26, 1946 and was dis-charged March 20, 1946. When I was at Taegu, we (GI's) had no problems with the Korean people and knew nothing about political problems, we just wanted to go back to the states. I was in the 40th Division, 185th Infantry, Company E, 1st Platoon, 1st Squad. I have a few pictures of farmers, Korean Police, and our M.P.'s if you need them.


Pulling guard duty was a sham, at times. When I was at Boca Raton Air Base in Florida, going to school for airborn radar, we had to pull guard duty when we weren't in class. Usually it was to " Guard " the school buildings, and were issued

a side arm. That was untill one of the student guards got carried away and thought he was "Hoppalong Cassidy" or something. He saw a rabbit crossing the grounds between him and the school. He took aim and probably not meaning to, fired. The slug went through one side of the schoolroom and out the other.Well, that was it for arming us cowboys. From that time on we were issued nightsticks. One time after that incident, I was taken out to the airstrip to guard a 29 that had been flown in. Me in the dark guarding a 29 with a billy club. I wouldn't doubt for a minute there was a real MP off in the dark, sitting there laughing his fool head off.



P.S.---we never heard what happened to the guard.


Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  papa Art WW2 Story's Cadetat6 3 5,815 11-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Last Post: Cadetat6
  Christmas Story Cadetat6 3 162,565 06-27-2005, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Air Cadet Story Cadetat6 1 96,428 12-20-2004, 12:56 AM
Last Post: chucktoo1926

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)