297th Engineers

One of my brothers, Sgt. Daniel E. O'Rourke, was in the 297th Engineers during WW11. He participated in the Normady Beach landings to the Huertgen Forest where he was evacuated with Trench Foot. He died at the age of 45 of Cancer.

Was the 297th a part of the V1 Corps? He was attached to other divisions at different times.

Thanks for your information.

Mary Campbell

Hi Mary:

So nice to hear from you. I will do some investigating for you and let you know what kind of info I can find out.

Of the top of my head, I know that the 297th were not part of VI Corps, since that unit entered on the southern coast of France in August of 1944.

Your brother most likely would have been in either the V, VII or XIX Corps. I will be able to ascertain more with a little research.

It sounds like the 297th were very similar to my dad's unit and was probably (but I am not sure yet) what they called a "bastard"or independent engineer regiment. They had several of these stationed in the ETO.

I'll get back with you shortly. Again, thanks for writing and visiting my site.

Warmest regards,

Marion J Chard

Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek

VI Corps, 540th Combat Engineer WWII

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com

Essayons!

Marion J Chard
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Dear Mary:

Was able to find out a few more clues for you. Please check out these web links. I've also included a contact for the unit too. Later I will scan some history from one of my engineer books. There are several paragraphs regarding your brother's unit.

Sincerely,

Marion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

297th Engineer © Battalion

Mr. Joseph C. Rufo

12 Springer Avenue

Yonkers, NY 10704-1510

(914) 237-4875

http://www.armyengineer.com/Vet_news.htm

http://capefearww2.uncwil.edu/voices/091bio.html

http://www.jeroenkoppes.com/ww2/units/7th%...0US%20Corps.htm

http://www.usace.army.mil/inet/usace-docs/...-1-42/c-7-5.pdf

http://www.wartimememories.co.uk/allied/usarmy/

http://www.3ad.org/wwii/wwii_order_of_battle.htm

http://home.scarlet.be/~ping2445/Belgium_U...SA_WW2_03.shtml

http://www.mrfa2.org/9thWWII.htm

Marion J Chard

Marion, Thanks for your quick reply. I should look into the "stuff" I have on Danny, too and maybe I will find more information there.

I love your site and it was by accident that I found it as a friend sent me the WW11 song portion of the site........which I love!

Mary Campbell

------------------

Marion,

So much information!!! I do remember Danny writing and telling us he was in the "Spearhead" of the breakout form Normany and I found the 297th listed there. I did read somewhere before that the 297th was attached to the 3rd Armored Division. They were attached to other Divisions as needed.

Also I found that he was in the VII Corps.

The contact for the 297th was in the © Bn. Danny was in Company B © Bn. I doubt that I will phone Mr. Rufo. All I could ask is if he rememberd my brother and that's a very slim chance that he did.

Thanks for all that information. I really appreciate it! It'll take me awhile to read it all.

Sincerely,

Mary Campbell

Marion J Chard

When I was talking with Col Mike, the editor from Army Engineer Magazine this week, he told me about the daughter of a 297th member who had an article published last year. He said I might be interested in contacting her. Me? Oh ya of couse I am! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I sat down yesterday and sent a letter off and the following is what transpired...

+++++++++++++++

Hi Marion,

Thanks for the email! Mike is a great guy, he's published a few things on my Dad's unit. I'm glad he gave you my address.

Your site is terrific! I browsed quickly since I'm at work, but I can't wait to see more. I try my best to keep the 297th "alive & well". A bunch of us "kids" correspond regularly and attend reunions every D-day. It's so great to see when anyone is as interested as we are in the vets. I went to a VFW fundraiser on Saturday and the commandant couldn't believe I knew so much about my Dad's service history. I just can't believe some people don't care enough to learn what their dad's did back then.

Please email me again & keep in touch. Nice "meeting" you!

Best regards,
Mari

Essayons
297th Combat Engineers WWII
"We clear the way!"

++++++++++++++++++++

Hi again,

I had the chance to look at your wonderful site in greater detail. Wow - you are doing your dad proud. I was so sorry to read that you lost him at such a young age. It's nice you were able to connect with some of his friends. We have several childern who attend all the reunions even though their dads are gone. They all say it's a connection they enjoy very much.

I am an art director in a NJ ad agency. My Dad & Mom live downstairs from me in a mother-daughter house I bought 3 years ago. They are 85 & 82 now. Dad is a semi (note the 'semi' even though he's 85+ years old) retired baker who also does electrical work. He was the company cook. I'm sending some shots of "my" boys for you to see. In photo A, my Dad is 2nd from the right in the back. The modern shots are of the last reunion in D.C., which Mike so nicely featured on the Engineer web site last year.

I've been asked over the years how I know how to change a tire, hot-wire a car, & re-construct a toilet. (not that I choose to do any of them, unless I absolutely have no choice). My answer is "ummm, only child of an Army Engineer", lol.

Take care & email me when you can,
Mari

Essayons
"We clear the way!"

+++++++++++++

Hi Mari:

How nice to hear from you twice in one day. I am so glad you took the time to respond. Seems like we have much in common. Especially after I read, 'My answer is "ummm, only child of an Army Engineer", lol.' I too am the only child of an army engineer and am pretty darned handy around the house. Took an early interest in cars and tinkering with things. Mom always asked me to fix the vacuum cleaner, etc., and I never let her down. ha-ha! Funny, I always tell people the same thing, "Hey, I'm an engineer's daughter!" armata_PDT_12.gif I think we will get along just great!

I loved the photos you sent and if you don't mind, would love to display those along with your wonderful letter on the forum. Let me know. It's very exciting to meet yet another daughter of an engineer. It's up to us to keep this fine tradition going. I sometimes feel that dad is right along side me when I am doing all this. He's my guardian angel.

If you'd like, we can place your dad's story on the main site. I'd be more than happy to do it. Let me know and we can take care of that in the not-so-distant future. Would be my pleasure.

I was very fortunate to be able to attend three engineer reunions in the last four weeks. One for the 36th (my dad's sister bn), the 1108th and the 326th Airborne. A great bunch of guys. Who would have ever thought you could have this much fun with a room full of 80-somethings.
armata_PDT_12.gifarmata_PDT_12.gifarmata_PDT_12.gifarmata_PDT_12.gifarmata_PDT_12.gif
(Hey guys, I meant that lovingly... armata_PDT_12.gif )

Thanks again for getting back with me. Can't wait to hear and see more. Send my regards to your mom and dad.

Warm regards,
Marion

++++++++++++++

Mari:

Just noticed! Another thing we have in common - look how close our names are. Marion and Mari. Wow!

Hey, I thought your dad's unit sounded familiar and this is why:

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/engforum/index.php?showtopic=1351&hl=297th
(This topic that you are now reading dear viewers!)

Check that out,
Marion

++++++++++++++

Now check this out. This is very cool.

Hi again (I'm online a lot for work, so I check my email every few hours).
My Dad remembers Daniel! I'll look for him in the book & see what I come up with. I'd LOVE to have my Dad's story published. Tell me what you need! Where do you live, by the way?
Best regards,
Mari

Essayons
"We clear the way!"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Photos in a few minutes...

Marion J Chard

Here are a few pics. Some recent, some from the war.

post-6-1161048610_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   A.jpg (Size: 162.76 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

The cigar

post-6-1161048693_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   GGG.jpg (Size: 239.99 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

Sitting in the enemy's cockpit

post-6-1161048751_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   WW.jpg (Size: 125.7 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

In front of the tents

post-6-1161048797_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Y.jpg (Size: 129.89 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

Her dad is second from right in back. Taken in DC at reunion

post-6-1161048846_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_0467.JPG (Size: 376.41 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

Normandy at the Memorial

post-6-1161048936_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_0508.JPG (Size: 343.16 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  special service engineers & rail engineers Ron Nash 17 586,949 11-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Looking for members of the 297th Combat Engineers in WWII kevin.meehan 4 5,022 10-20-2012, 07:09 AM
  297th Museum burns... Walt's Daughter 4 5,382 12-15-2006, 12:07 PM