297th Museum burns...

Just got this letter from my friend Mari. Her dad is a 297th Engineer. Some sad news in it about their museum. :(:( It broke my heart! :heartpump: Mari my heart does go out to you and all the engineers. I (we) would be DEVASTED!

Hello Marion,

Hope you are well. I've been meaning to email, but have been swamped. Dad, a heart patient, was in hospital for bronchitis last month (he's better now). So with the holidays, time got away from me. Mike is sending me a copy of the upcoming Engineer magazine featuring your article. I can't wait to see it!

On a sad note, our beloved 297th Combat Engineer Museum that was located in Owensboro, KY has burned down. I received the sad news from my "297th sister" Adele DePolo a few days ago.

Hal Miller, the owner & curator of the Musuem had a huge collection of WWII engineer memorabilia that was donated by many of our boys.

There was some news coverage on the local stations, here is a link: http://www.14wfie.com/Global/category.asp?...C=3492&nav=3w6o

"Hundreds gather for breakfast at Windy Hollow"

Hal was the organizer of many of our reunions, and the upcoming one will have to be moved. Luckily, no one was hurt. We are all quite devastated, and having to tell our Dads was horrible, as many of them had been there numerous times and donated a lot of the mementos.

Please keep my "boys" in your good thoughts. I wanted to pass on this news to someone who would appreciate the loss. Please keep in touch!

Best regards & take care,

Mari

Essayons

297th Combat Engineers WWII

"We clear the way!"

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Those items can NEVER be replaced. What a loss.

Brooke

Marion, Thanks for posting about our museum! Brook, thanks for the well wishes. We may re-locate our next reunion to Philly. Best to all,

Love Mari & the 297th

It's the least any of us can do or say Mari. Wish I could extend a hand to be of further assistance.

If I come up with any 297th docs, items, etc., I will send them your way, so you can give them to Hal for me.

Marion J Chard
I would also like to ask my forum members to keep their ears and eyes open for 297th Engineer items that you may run across. If you do please let me know.
Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for members of the 297th Combat Engineers in WWII kevin.meehan 4 5,039 10-20-2012, 07:09 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  297th Engineers Walt's Daughter 23 45,268 10-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter