John Fallon - 36th Engineer - in critical condition

Dear 36th'ers:

Got the dreaded notification the other day. It's the one you know is coming, but never quite prepared for, nonetheless. 

It is with heavy heart that I tell you that Captain John Fallon is in critical condition in the hospital and not expected to pull through. I spoke with his son, John Jr, the other night and he kindly asked if I would inform everyone on my list. Certainly.

So many things that I would like to write, but know this, John was my first introduction to the 36th Engineers of WWII. At that point, I wasn't sure if my father was with the 36th or 540th, and John helped me sort through a lot of confusing data. Even though we discovered that my dad was in the 540th (the sister battalion to the 36th), he insisted that I come out to a reunion, and well, the rest is history. I wound up not only meeting a ton of wonderful people, but became the official historian of this unit. Lucky girl - I got adopted. 

To me, attending the reunions every year, was even better than Christmas in my book. Everyone became my extended family and it brought me even closer to my dad (he passed when I was twelve). I so looked forward to every fall, and seeing the gang once again. It was such a joy and real learning experience. I've never met a nicer group of men and women. 

As many of you know, we've lost the majority of men in the last few years, and John is the last. So difficult to write these words. Breaks my heart and I'm sure that everyone who had the pleasure of meeting John, will feel the same way. 

I could go on and on, but suffice to say that John holds a special place in my heart, and always will. 

(photo attached was taken by yours truly in 2006 - my first reunion)

Stay rugged,

Marion

Reunion12 008.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Reunion12 008.jpg (Size: 64.99 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Over the last ten years John became an important person in my life as via this website and then attending the reunions I got to know and admire this special member of the greatest generation. With Marion's help I attended six reunions and met so many wonderful people and it was John's welcome from the start that made me want to return each year. We all owe him so much and I can only say "thank you" to him and wish him well.

Colin.

Yes, I knew this news would be coming, but it still hurts to hear. I'm glad I got to meet him - he was a great man (as all of them I met were).

100_2926.JPG

Attached Files
.jpg   100_2926.JPG (Size: 1.55 MB / Downloads: 0)
Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

John is in hospice care right now. This is the latest news from his son. 

Marion J Chard

GREAT NEWS!!

Dear 36th'ers:

I'll be brief, but wanted to let you know that we've been blessed with a miracle - Captain John Fallon has made a complete recovery and is in good spirits. I just returned his phone call after he left a heartfelt message on my phone this week. Can't tell you how wonderful it was to speak with him and to hear him laugh and cajole with me. 

Warmly,

Marion
Marion J Chard

this is Wonderful news!!

Wow! This is awesome, Marion! I'm glad you've gotten to talk to him. Hope he continues to do well!!!

DSC_0102.JPG

Attached Files
.jpg   DSC_0102.JPG (Size: 1.49 MB / Downloads: 0)
Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Farewell Capt John Fallon 36th Engineer PDP2020 2 4,755 10-25-2021, 10:09 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  Farewell Tony Stefanelli - 36th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 4 7,020 08-09-2018, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Get Well Tony Stefanelli! - 36th Engineer Walt's Daughter 5 7,106 05-11-2018, 09:19 AM
  Well wishes for Capt John Fallon, 36th Engineer Walt's Daughter 4 5,405 04-18-2017, 07:49 AM
  The passing of Carl Furtado - 36th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 16 15,711 12-08-2016, 05:34 PM
  Farewell to John Zappitello (36th Eng) and his wife Marguerite Walt's Daughter 6 7,032 07-26-2016, 02:09 PM
  Happy Birthday Captain John Fallon - 36th Engineer Walt's Daughter 2 4,265 03-05-2016, 05:43 AM
Last Post: colinhotham
  Farewell Marty Marsh - 36th Engineer Walt's Daughter 4 6,022 02-29-2016, 09:28 PM
  Farewell John Sefko - 36th Engineer Walt's Daughter 0 3,411 02-23-2016, 09:35 AM
  Thoughts and Prayers for Carl Furtado - 36th Engineer Walt's Daughter 13 11,941 02-16-2016, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Frank Gubbels