Lester M. Cohen 148th Combat Engineer

I have a couple of minutes to write Les, and let me say that I am most grateful and fascinated by what you have written so far. Please note that you could NEVER bore me, because from the time I was a little girl, I was always interested in WWII. I'm my DADDY'S GIRL. I always loved my dad's stories regarding the ETO and we always watched war movies together along with all the Combat episodes every week. So my fascination started way back in grade school.

Oh to clear up a misunderstanding, the 148th were never part of VI Corps at any time. I think the confusion may lie in the fact that I also feature other combat engineer units from various other Corps and army units. My site began as a simple page tribute to my dad and then grew into a VI Corps tribute when I started learning more and became friends with a member of the 36th Combat Engineers who were also part of VI Corps. As my research grew and thus my friendship with various vets, I decided to include their stories on my site and so the story goes.

Because the site is growing at an exponential rate, I will probably branch off in at least one other direction and start a whole new site with other veterans stories and histories and separate them from VI Corps. That's probably the logical way to go.

If you don't mind (and I always ask first), could I post some things from your emails to me on the Message Board? I know others would love to read about your experiences. Then we can always create a page that is strictly dedicated to you, like I have for so many other vets.

I can't wait to see your photos. I look forward to those.

Well I must run for now. I am actually working in our little country store. Our house is attached and when we are not real busy, my husband Lee and I take turns in half hour of hour increments and that gives us a chance to take little breaks and either relax or get things done around the house. It really breaks up the day and when we have to work long hours, it really isn't so bad this way.

Once again it is so nice getting to know you and I'm certainly glad you are taking the time to share your history with me. Keep it coming.

Warmest regards,

Marion

PS. I am going to PA this fall to attend a 36th Combat Engineers reunion. I am flying to Harrisburg and the reunion is in Lebanon.

-------------------------

Hi Marion:

I just finished wrting a letter with some photos which I will send to you by snail mail, as I do not have your full e mail address. Please send that.

Also, as you asked, you can feel free to use anything I send you for your web site or any other application. I'll be writing more as I get time.

You sound like my daughters, who feel the same way you do about my adventures in WWII. I feel lucky to still be around at age 86 to enjoy them and our families.

Best regards

Lester

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Messages In This Thread
Lester M. Cohen 148th Combat Engineer - by Walt's Daughter - 07-28-2005, 10:10 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The 187th Engineer Combat Bn PDP2020 0 2,373 12-05-2022, 04:48 PM
Last Post: PDP2020
  245th Engineer Combat Battalion, U.S. Third Army 1874thhistorian 5 13,410 08-21-2019, 01:01 AM
Last Post: mikel
  174th Engineer Combat Battalion Wendy 4 12,081 04-22-2019, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  291st Engineer Combat Battalion Roster EngineerReenactor 9 20,135 02-01-2019, 02:42 PM
Last Post: mikel
  169th Engineer Combat Battalion angatti 15 20,986 10-07-2018, 11:41 AM
Last Post: angatti
  Ruben Cohen - 38th Engineer Walt's Daughter 12 11,384 06-02-2018, 11:01 AM
  Jack Frank 1142nd Combat Engineer Group Frank Gubbels 4 5,904 05-27-2018, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Frank Gubbels
  1111th Engineer Combat Group Walt's Daughter 4 9,381 04-16-2018, 09:19 AM
  Book showing Photographs of work of the 157th Engineer Combat Battalion brian m 20 20,566 02-05-2018, 07:52 PM
Last Post: SEH
  Info on Richard Conn - 540th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 5 8,582 01-23-2018, 05:24 PM