Lester M. Cohen 148th Combat Engineer

Dear Lester:

So very nice to hear from you. I AM always interested in hearing the history of any combat engineering unit, especially those who fought in the ETO.

As a matter of fact, I am currently reading Gen Omar Bradley's book, A Soldiers Story. Right now it is late September and the Montgomery's and Bradley's Army Groups are held up because of logistics and Monty has just suffered the horrible defeat at Arnhem. It's a great book and very well written. I am thoroughly enjoying it. It gives another perspective and that I always love to have.

Have you seen the photos of the Hodges bridge on my site? If not, take a look here for them and other engineering photos. Towards the bottom of the page, there is a Hodges slide show. I would be delighted to hear about all the details, as I am most interested in the actual construction of Baileys. In fact, I'm downright interested. I always laugh and tell my husband that I wished I could be part of a crew putting one up!

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/photos.htm

VI Corps had it's beginnings in Italy and was originally composed of men from Michigan (my dad), Illinois and Wisconsin. VI Corps also included such divisions as the 3rd, 36th and 45th. VI Corps went all the way from the Italian campaign to the Invasion of southern France, northward to meet up with Bradley's group and fought in the Alsace/Ardennes campaign. They crossed the Rhine and were in Germany through the end of the war. Dad's shipped home in November of 1945.

Dad's unit actually had it's start on the shores of North Africa. They also invaded Sicily and that is where dad began his tour of duty.

I look forward to hearing all about your ETO history and would love to create a page for you on my site, if you will allow. It would be my honor sir.

Must run, have to go shopping this morning for our little country store. Have a great day.

Warmest regards,

Marion J Chard

Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek

VI Corps, 540th Combat Engineer WWII

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com

Essayons!

--------------------------

So nice to hear from you. I will relate to you the entire story of the Hodges Bridge, from the survey of the site to the finish. The batallion I was in (the 148th.)was at first put on security on the Remagen bridge, before it collapsed- but at the same time surveys were being made for the Bailey crossing of the Rhine, about a mile downstream of the Remagen. The 9th Infantry division was the first across, while the 148th provided river security upstream.

The survey at the crossing was for a 1360 foot Bailey, but the current was so fast that it was impossible to anchor in place, with the usual anchorages, so we had an innovative 1st. Lt., Fred Thomas, who appropriated 3 German tugboats, sunk them upstream of the bridge, and we anchored the pontoons to the sunken tugs,using steel cables, and were able to extend the bridge across the river. I don't remember how long it took, but I remember clearly when Gen. Hodges came to inspect the finished bridge, and I was in the crowd around him, and shook his hand. ( My one minute of fame)

I have some pictures that I took at the time of the near bank, before construction began, and I will try to send you an attachment later when I get time. (It is early morning here, and I must run some errands.)

I was in the medical detachment as dental officer, doing mostly medical work, but I was able to keep up with the line companies. We had a great outfit, mostly young folks from PA., who came to us through the induction centers of central PA., I was at the time just out of Dental school, (22 years old) and enlisted in the army in May of 1942.

I don't want to bore you with "war stories", but I will later tell you more about the 148th I was in.

Great to hear from you,

Best regards,

Lester

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Messages In This Thread
Lester M. Cohen 148th Combat Engineer - by Walt's Daughter - 07-28-2005, 10:07 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The 187th Engineer Combat Bn PDP2020 0 2,373 12-05-2022, 04:48 PM
Last Post: PDP2020
  245th Engineer Combat Battalion, U.S. Third Army 1874thhistorian 5 13,408 08-21-2019, 01:01 AM
Last Post: mikel
  174th Engineer Combat Battalion Wendy 4 12,081 04-22-2019, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  291st Engineer Combat Battalion Roster EngineerReenactor 9 20,134 02-01-2019, 02:42 PM
Last Post: mikel
  169th Engineer Combat Battalion angatti 15 20,985 10-07-2018, 11:41 AM
Last Post: angatti
  Ruben Cohen - 38th Engineer Walt's Daughter 12 11,382 06-02-2018, 11:01 AM
  Jack Frank 1142nd Combat Engineer Group Frank Gubbels 4 5,904 05-27-2018, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Frank Gubbels
  1111th Engineer Combat Group Walt's Daughter 4 9,380 04-16-2018, 09:19 AM
  Book showing Photographs of work of the 157th Engineer Combat Battalion brian m 20 20,565 02-05-2018, 07:52 PM
Last Post: SEH
  Info on Richard Conn - 540th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 5 8,582 01-23-2018, 05:24 PM