The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - a must read

A good book should shake you up, and make you walk around in a haze for a while, re-thinking all the tidbits placed before your eyes. That's what happened to me this morning.

My sister-in-law Anne lent a book to me from her sister. This was the second one in a row which came highly recommended for me. She knew this would nourish my soul. It did that several times over. I started reading it late on Sunday and finished it this morning. Yes, you can say I consumed the book in huge mouthfuls.

It was The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. As I was nearing the half way mark, I said to myself, "This is a must read, along with Anne Frank's diary. Strange that I thought those words, for when I finished the book and read the back cover, one of the reviewers stated, "Deserves a place on the same shelf with The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank". Hmmmm!

Yes, I know there is a movie too, and I heard it's good, but I don't see how it could possibly do justice to the book, since the narrator is death itself. How could you portray all that on a screen. Ah, time will tell.

Now my husband will have to read it and so will Anne. Thanks Betty, you know what I like!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I did see the movie (haven't read the book) and yes, they do have death as the narrarator. It is superb! Of course, Geoffrey Rush is great in everything!

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Thanks for that. I had a couple others tell me that they loved it too. Now I can't wait.

Marion J Chard

Finally saw the movie and thought it was very well done. I know others would enjoy it too, however, they cut so much due to the normal span of your typical movie. Some characters were not even featured in the movie, and some were not fully rendered.

Yes, they did have "death" narrate, but there was far too little of "him", and we both thought that people who never read the book, would have a hard time understanding who it was. I think, they'd think that it was just a normal narration.

I would have liked to seen it as a little mini-series, in order to do more justice to such a well-written book.

Marion J Chard

That is pretty typical with movie renderings of books. It never can be quite the same. Guess I need to take the time to read the book. I'll have to see if I can get a hold of the audio book - that's how most of my "reading" gets done.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Ya, the audio book would be awesome.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/book-thief-markus-zusak/1100189892?ean=9780804168434

http://www.amazon.com/The-Book-Thief/dp/B000J20TZA

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The 517th's Gang - new book Walt's Daughter 0 3,455 02-19-2019, 10:38 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  New "Seabee" book! Carolyn 2 6,053 11-23-2017, 02:48 PM
Last Post: juskitty
  Army at Dawn - recommended book Walt's Daughter 9 17,674 02-13-2013, 10:12 AM
  Read any good books lately? 3_7_I_Recon 9 8,597 08-30-2012, 08:57 PM
Last Post: chambers
  "BLACK HELL" 133RD SEABEE BOOK Carolyn 1 4,549 01-28-2012, 10:07 AM
  New Book: From Toccoa to the Eagle's Nest Brian Sarff 3 5,991 12-16-2009, 11:49 AM
  Bill and Babe's new Book bearlee 1 4,045 09-02-2007, 10:21 AM
  Book - Five Years, Four Fronts Wendy 3 5,287 05-07-2007, 10:29 PM
  Possible book - Albanian Escape Walt's Daughter 2 4,487 08-26-2006, 12:46 AM
  Book Clubs 3_7_I_Recon 2 4,310 06-26-2006, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Custermen