309th engineers, 84th Division

LTC Gubbels,

I'd really like a high-res copy of that Railsplitters picture. My grandfather Richard Mills was in the 309th, and I'm hoping he's in the picture... Thanks very much.

Colby Mills

(removed email for privacy)

Oh, don't place your email on the forum out in the open,or anywhere for that matter. Not good practice. You don't want spammer bots getting a hold of your private info. Please delete.

Forum members can contact each other directly after logging in and clicking on usernames. You can send Frank a PM and give him your email addy if you wish.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I received this request last week and forwarded it to Marion, maybe someone else can help as well.

Hey! I'm doing a little research for a friend locally whose Dad was captured Dec 23, 1944 and held in a stalag in Germany until May 1945. (He was 29.4 kilos when he was liberated!)-- Anyway; from some preliminary searching, I think he was with the 309th Combat Engineer Bn, 84th Infantry...

I found the thread you posted about the 309th here: http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/engforum/index.php?showtopic=7815

Did you ever come across any POW rosters or have any info on which Stalag they were taken to when captured?
THanks!!!

smile-emoticon

I’m trying to  find more detailed information regarding my grandfathers whereabouts in 1944/1945.

His name was Sargeant Joe Belche and he was in the 309th Engineer Corps Battalion. Unit “C”.
I’m specifically trying to find where he was posted in England after his troop ship arrived in Scotland on 1st October 1944.
Where was he sent? And for how long before being posted to France to join the battles.

I would really appreciate any information...we have a very interesting family puzzle that we are trying to solve.

Many thanks
Brimstone

Welcome to the forum. Glad that you joined. Maybe we can help you solve the very interested family puzzle.

Till later...

Marion J Chard

Thanks Walt’s daughter for redirecting me here.

Since my last post I have received this photo of Grandpa from my dear long lost Aunt.

I’m really hoping that someone here will recognise him and be able to share some information.

I have written to several military bodies but have unfortunately not had any response, it’s very disappointing...

I really need to find out where his unit was when they landed in the U.K. so that I can start to fathom where to start looking for my Grandmother.

I would really appreciate any information no matter how small.

Thank you for any information.

Also if there are any photos I would be keen to see them.

Many thanks.

250BBC2C-4340-47F7-AC68-D020CDDF65C3.jpeg

Attached Files
.jpeg   250BBC2C-4340-47F7-AC68-D020CDDF65C3.jpeg (Size: 468.31 KB / Downloads: 0)

So you've already contacted NARA in Maryland?

Marion J Chard

I’m not sure, but think so...to be honest I have no record of some of the organisations that I contacted because I think some contact was through their websites.

I have a copy of his discharge papers.

What I need is information about where he was once he got off the troop ship in October 1944.

Then pursuing NARA in Maryland is the way to go.

Look under the section labeled Obtaining Unit Records.

Marion J Chard

Thanks Walt’s daughter.

I just went to email them again and realised that I had already emailed them before a while ago...

...but I haven’t ever heard back from them so I’ve just emailed them again. You never know things get lost...

I think my Aunt is trying to chase up some information too.

I think in some instances next of kin status may be key.

anyway we’ll see.

Thanks for posting the links for me.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for INFO 125th Combat Engineers of the 14th Armored Division mepaw 40 44,660 09-24-2018, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  309th battalion Brimstone 1 2,818 10-17-2017, 07:12 PM
  105th engineers, 30th Infantry Division Frank Gubbels 3 5,722 10-04-2016, 06:32 AM
Last Post: Frank Gubbels
  312th Engineer Combat Battalion, 87th Infantry Division militaria7 8 10,301 02-14-2015, 01:14 PM
Last Post: joedemadio
  20th Armored Division working together with the 157th Engineer Combat Battalion; Then and now brian m 2 5,280 02-08-2014, 02:43 PM
  special service engineers & rail engineers Ron Nash 17 587,012 11-15-2012, 10:43 AM