309th engineers, 84th Division

To all,

I haven't posted for quite some time and normally I didn't post a lot regarding engineers. A few days ago I received this picture. On the backside of the picture is the text: 84th division, 309th engineers at the Roer, you can see the patch on the shoulder of the trooper who is up front and it's definetely the "Railsplitter" patch. So this picture must have been taken in 1945 just before or after these men crossed the Roer river in Germany.

I thought it could be a small and nice addition to the website. If someone wants the better quality picture, just let me know and I can e-mail it to you.

Regards,

Frank

84thdivision309thengine.jpg

That is a really great picture. Is it a US Army Signal Corps photo?

I see they have their inflatable belts on. I hope they didn't have to get in the water - it looks pretty darn cold! I know that as safety conscience as everyone is in the military, if a pontoon bridge were built now, they would have to have all kinds of safety equipment. I suppose this was just a precaution so if anyone fell in the water during construction, they wouldn't immediately sink. You just don't see many of those sorts of safety precautions in most WWII pictures. I wonder if that was a common SOP (and how wide spread it was - battalion, regiment, division, etc.) or just a particular commander.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Todd, they had to cross the Ruhr river. Sometimes engineers build (foot)bridges and sometimes the troops had to cross by boat. I think the engineers had to cross by boat but I am not sure.

Oh Frank, don't know if you realize it, but Todd's grandfather was an officer in my dad's unit. That is how we met. Pretty neat, huh?

Good to hear from you again. Sorry I didn't answer sooner, but have been very sick with the flu. Getting better each day, and slowly answering emails and posts.

Love the photo. It's so clear and yes it's interesting to note that they are wearing the inflatable belts. Damn good idea, since they had to deal with so many cold, swift river crossings and many lost their lifes by drowning. So sad.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Oh and yes, would like a high-res photo so I can put it up on the Gallery.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I really didn't know that Marion. Small world it is. I am happy you're feeling a bit better now. Thank you very much for your reply. I just e-mailed the picture to you.

All the best,

Frank

I think they crossed the Rur river (on Netherlands: the Roer river) left of the Rhine on the photo. I'm not shure whether they later (in '45) also crossed the Ruhr river on the right.

Christoph

My guess would be before the crossing during the training of all units involved in the crossing since the actual crossing was at night/early morning.

Basic procedure of an assault river crossing is 1st an assault boat crossing of infantry followed imediately by infantry footbridges, then an infantry support bridge, then M2 Treadway bridges.

One account of the crossing can be read here:

TITLE:

An Engineer`s report of the Roer River Crossing at Linnich, Germany.

http://www.benning.a...rles R. LTC.pdf

The 84th Inf Div of XIII Corps crossed the Roer at Linnich, crossing began at 0330 on the morning of 23 February 1945. The 309th engineers had the responsiblity of assault boat crossing. The 1149th Engineer Combat Group was placed in general support of the 84th Infantry Division and the 171st Engineer Combat Battalion was placed

in direct support of the division with responsibility for the assault bridges. 74th Light Ponton Company and the

989th Treadway Bridge Company was assigned to the 171st Engineer Combat Battalion by the 1149th Engineer Combat Group for the operation.

Thanks a lot for the additional information. Much appreciated!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for INFO 125th Combat Engineers of the 14th Armored Division mepaw 40 43,848 09-24-2018, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  309th battalion Brimstone 1 2,761 10-17-2017, 07:12 PM
  105th engineers, 30th Infantry Division Frank Gubbels 3 5,616 10-04-2016, 06:32 AM
Last Post: Frank Gubbels
  312th Engineer Combat Battalion, 87th Infantry Division militaria7 8 10,125 02-14-2015, 01:14 PM
Last Post: joedemadio
  20th Armored Division working together with the 157th Engineer Combat Battalion; Then and now brian m 2 5,214 02-08-2014, 02:43 PM
  special service engineers & rail engineers Ron Nash 17 586,595 11-15-2012, 10:43 AM