292nd Map

Sure thing, will send an email tonight from the great state of Maryland...

Certainly didn't expect you to do this while on vacation, jeez Marion your making the rest of us look like slackers! :D Hope you are having a great time in Maryland. Sure appreciate you doing this for me and all you do here on the forum for all of us, your simply the best! :icon_pray:

Randy

Ah, it's a nice break for me. While I actually DO vacation, :zzzz: I always like to touch base now and then.

Reunion and rest of vacation was a blast. Colin is here now in Michigan with Lee and I. We are getting ready to take a train and go on a wonderful color tour. Perfect weather. Should be a wonderful day. :wub:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

This is an image of full map. Here's a letter from Don Pysz:

Marion,

Could you resend an email inviting Mr Pysz to join us here on the forum and in our thread. It would be great to have him and here anything he has to add.

You are the best,

Gary

Gary L. Gates

Proud Grandson of Randall Gates
Mechanic, A and H&S Companies, 292nd Engineer Combat Battalion, 1149th Engineer Combat Group

Okay, just did so... :armata_PDT_01:

Marion J Chard

Hi everyone,

I recently registered to give some info on this topic.  I have the map shown in this thread in my collection and can answer buk2112 question as to who the artist was.  The map is labeled as "Art work done by Chris G. Hafenbrack".  I know this is an old topic, but thought I would add this bit if anyone was interested.

-Woody

Ah, nothing is ever OLD here! Thanks and welcome. That's exciting.

Marion J Chard

On 5/25/2018 at 12:16 AM, Woodymyster said:

Hi everyone,

I recently registered to give some info on this topic.  I have the map shown in this thread in my collection and can answer buk2112 question as to who the artist was.  The map is labeled as "Art work done by Chris G. Hafenbrack".  I know this is an old topic, but thought I would add this bit if anyone was interested.

-Woody

Hi Woody,

Welcome to the forum, we are glad to have you here with us. As Marion has stated nothing is old here, old is what we are all about! Sure appreciate the info, I suppose if I had examined it in more detail I would have picked up on that, I must be slipping! After I get home from work I'm going to look to see if I can locate his name in the records I have, as to which company he may have belonged to. I do not have a complete roster but I have many names, maybe I'll get lucky. Woody be sure to tell us more about your collection, what items you have, if there are any family connections to them, what your interests are, etc. Thanks again for shining a light on this question.

Randy

Well I struck out, Mr. Chris G. Hafenbrack's name does not appear in any of the 292nd documentation that I have. His name does not appear in the online WWII Enlistment Records database either. After some more cyber snooping I came across the following obituary from Find A Grave that I have a hunch is the gentleman in question, since it refers to him as a "commerical artist":

"Mr. Christopher G. Hafenbrack, 80, of 811 Laurel Drive, died Friday, Jan. 23, 1998, at Aiken Regional Medical Centers.

The funeral at First Baptist Church with the Rev. Fred Andrea officiating. 

Burial will be private.

Mr. Hafenbrack, a native of Saginaw, Mich., was a commercial artist and an Army veteran. He was a member of First Baptist Church and Midland Valley Golf Course.

Survivors include his wife, Pauline Claire Nevius Hafenbrack; three sons, Richard D. Hafenbrack, Fenton, Mich., David C. Hafenbrack, Dayton, Ohio, and Jeffrey A. Hafenbrack, Coral Springs, Fla; one stepson, James Barnes, Dayton; one daughter, Barbara G. Harris, Fenton, Mich.; two stepdaughters, Carol Davis, Dayton, and Nancy Barnes, Houston; one brother, David Hafenbrack, Muskegan, Mich.; one sister, Lucille Pollard, Largo, Fla.; and five grandchildren; three stepgrandchildren and three great-grandchildren.

Honorary pallbearers - Williamson Sunday School Class.

Shellhouse Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements. "

The search for information continues...

Randy

Mr. Hafenbrack appears in this  group photo belonging To Sgt. James Longacre.

group-photo.jpg

Front Row (L/R)

Pvt. Baumgardner - Driver
Lt. Milford - Asst. S-2
Capt. Rawls - S-2
Lt. Baxter - RCS. O.
T/5 Longacre - Photo.

2nd Row

T/Sgt Erickson - Intell
PFC Laird - Radio
T/5 Davenport - Radio-Driver
T/5 Wesoloski - Radio
S/Sgt Smith - RCN

Pvt. Yess - Radio-Driver

Back Row

T/5 Hafenbrack - Draftsman
S/Sgt Baird - RCN
S/Sgt Gersch - Cam.

Mr. Hafenbrack is also mentioned as being a room mate of Sgt. Longacre's in this photo, location not disclosed.

longacre-42     Our room - Chris G. Hafenbrack, Nelson V. Laird, and me.

I'm not 100% certain , but I believe Sgt. Longacre was a member of H & S Company of the 292nd ECB and most likely Mr. Hafenbrack was as well.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  292nd Engineers/1149th Combat Grp Walt's Daughter 10 17,600 07-30-2015, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Sir Gator