Forums

Full Version: 292nd Map
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

Received this email recently and am sharing it with you. Cool map!

Hello Marion,

Got tied up on the phone. Here are the new (better) photos of th 292 Campaign Map.

I am a (soon to be) 59 yr. old Marine (Vietnam era)Veteran. My first training was at 29 Palms, Ca. where I graduated No. 1 in my Combat Engineer School. (A Company 7th Engineer) from there I went on to Marine Barracks, Naval Air Station, Barbers Pt., Hawaii. Just as a little background.

I found a huuuuge photograph at the same time I acquired the map. I need to research it to find out when it might have been taken. It's a genuine NAVY PHOTO of a parade of ships...(Aircraft carriers and battleships) coming into the San Francisco Bay with a full view of the Bay Bridge, the docks, the ships and Alcatraz island in the fog! The frame is 2'x3'! If your interested I'll send you photos....it's rather hard to get good photos when glass is involved.

Ted Lehman

post-2-0-00124000-1361196016_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-12414200-1361196018_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-25025300-1361196020_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-23198500-1361196022_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-27163700-1361196024_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-14310600-1361196026_thumb.jpg

I have a similar one of these for the 24th. I'm going to do a post about it one of these days....

I just got a really cool VI Corps Map from Nancy, France. It's a map on "How to Get Around". It's really funny. Very creative. I have to scan it in yet, no nothing to show right now.

This is an image of full map. Here's a letter from Don Pysz:

Marion,
I found your website doing a search on my Grandfather's battalion in WWII, 292 Engineers. I just starting digging into your site and really going to enjoy the trip. My grandfather Wilfred 'Duke' Duquette passed in 2009 @ 92, he never really talked about the war and even when I was young I could tell it wasn't a subject to be pushed and I understood. A member of his unit was a artist and drew up their journey, I thought you might like to add it to your site. If you do indeed wish to add it, I can take better quality photos.
Sincerely,
Don Pysz

post-2-0-27622400-1409778893_thumb.jpg

My uncle gave me my grandfather's copy of this map a couple of years ago, I sure treasure having it. The colors are faded, for it probably saw too much sunlight, but otherwise it is in fine shape. My friend Ralph (rwrich51) had sent me a reduced sized copy of this same map about 5 years ago. I passed along a copy of this smaller map to Gary (sirgator) last fall, for he said he didn't think his grandfather had ever received one. Think he was glad to have it.

Randy

Ah, that is good to hear. The copy I have above, looks like it's in good condition, for as you can see, you can still read everything and the colors look decent!

Randy,

Just saw this and just wanted to say that I appreciate your kindness in sending the copy of the map. It is something my family will always cherish. The hunt for information continues, the work on documenting what has been found is ongoing. Thanks to all that have assisted.

Gary

This is an image of full map. Here's a letter from Don Pysz:

After reading this thread again there are a couple of things that I must have missed the first time. He mentions his grandfather belonging to the 292nd but doesn't say what company. Looking at the records his grandfather was a member of Company A. He also mentions that a member of the unit was an artist and drew up the campaign map. I never knew that a member of the 292nd designed this map. Makes me curious as to who this artist was, yet another question. Perhaps Don Pysz could shed some light on who this soldier was. Mr Pysz may also be very interested in all that is taking place here about the 292nd. Perhaps he could identify his grandfather in the Company A photo.

Marion, any chance you might be able to e-mail him about joining our little family here? I know you are extremely busy, we sure appreciate all your efforts, your the best!

Randy

Sure thing, will send an email tonight from the great state of Maryland...

All set...

Pages: 1 2 3