Med Det 264th Engr (c) Bn

Dear Marion,

Thank you for your informative website. I've started researching information from my Grandfather's service discharge record from WWII. I'm writing to see if you might be able to direct me to a source of information related to "Med Det 264th Engr © Bn"

Under Battles and Campaigns it states:

GO 33 & 40 WD 45 Rhineland Central Europe

I know the first part states General Orders 33 & 40, War Department 1945, and that he was in Rhineland and Central Europe (information on both is linked to your site). However, I have yet to identify 264th. Any suggestions on finding where the 264th was between Feb 1944 and Nov 1945?

Best,

Jason

Dear Jason:

I suggest using our Research tools and contacting various places such as the Army Corps of Engineer's Office of History, and NARA in Maryland, for starts. There are about a dozen or so links to help you in your quest.

http://www.6thcorpsc...hp?showtopic=23

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I don' know whether military.com is trustable, but here

http://unitpages.military.com/unitpages/unit.do?id=108713

are some members of the unit, I see a link to Alfred Apice (only for members :pdt: ) who writes that his father still lives in Phila who served 1942-45. Maybe you can get a member and contact him?

Christoph

Hold up folks, i dont think the 264 Medical battalion is the right unit.

"Med Det 264th Engr © Bn" this means: Medical Detachment, 264th Engineer Combat Battalion.

The man your looking for is a medic with the 264th Engineer Combat Bn.

The 264th ECB has campaign credits for Central Europe & Rhineland and occupation duty, Germany, 20 May - 19 Sept `45 .

Nothing is found on this unit in the histories but appears to have arrived in europe close to the end of the war so was probably under a Base Section, or Adsec command.

I`d suggest you contact the National Archives at College Park, MD for unit records of the 264th Engineer Combat Battalion, and specificly records of their medical detachment.

:banghead:

OK, new attempt: Here: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/pdohrman I have found an e-book (PDF free!) by Paul Ohrman: Bridges to peace. Paul Ohrman describes his experiences as the photographer and cartographer in the 264th Combat Engineers attached to Patton's 3rd Army during War in Europe. The book includes over 200 of photographs. I just finished the download, maybe here you'll find the information you are looking for - if it is the correct unit now. On page 99 also a photo of some medics!

Christoph

Here`s 2 photos of the 264th`s medics from the book: Bridges to Peace

Below: Medical tent staffed by Manfred, Ungaleider and Carron

post-304-0-93511900-1335407114_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-87169700-1335407153_thumb.jpg

Above, right: Medics – Finkleman, Kirth,

Captain Weisberg, Ungaleider, Manfred,

Sammy.

Attached Files
.jpg   264th Medic Tent.jpg (Size: 219.46 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   264th Medics.jpg (Size: 287.57 KB / Downloads: 0)

Okay, let's start over. I will remove some of the incorrect replies, posted earlier today. Poof! They will be gone in a few minutes....

Now if anyone reads this, they won't get the wrong impression. Thanks Christoph and Larry. I must be having a bad day... :armata_PDT_23:

Marion J Chard

I don' know whether military.com is trustable, but here....

Christoph

Christoph, I don't know so much about being trustworthy, but I rarely use their site for anything. I'm simply not crazy about their setup. When I did use/reference their site years ago, I was unhappy with the results, so I tend to steer clear of them for the most part. However on occasion, it will render a useful tidbit.

Marion J Chard

Christoph, I am downloading the digital book right now. How exciting. That's a great find. Can't wait to read it on my Kindle.

Marion J Chard

Hey everyone, Jason is very excited for his grandfather is actually in one of the photos -Finkleman! WOW! This is really something. Great work Larry, as always!

Marion J Chard

The thanks go to Christoph for finding the book. An excellent well written account of the 264th with great photos.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  248th Engr. cincinnatikid 2 4,164 02-10-2015, 09:05 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  254th Engr. C. Bn. cincinnatikid 3 4,940 11-24-2014, 09:41 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  360th Engr. Regt. cincinnatikid 1 3,843 10-31-2014, 04:14 PM
  1008th Engr. Svc. Bn. cincinnatikid 0 2,200 03-13-2014, 07:47 PM
Last Post: cincinnatikid
  THE CASTLE published by the 1108th Engr C Grp Jim Davis 5 6,489 05-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Last Post: mileng377
  44 engr combat bn in WW II Carl Bolt 3 5,568 06-17-2008, 04:08 PM