Farewell to George Donaldson and David Pergrin

I sadly announce the passing of my father, George Donaldson and his commanding officer, Colonel David Pergrin of the 291st ECB. My father passed away Monday evening after a battle with cancer a little over a week after Colonel Pergrin also passed.

Both men were heroes in the highest regard and even though my father would always say the real heroes were the ones who didn't make it home, I never looked at my father as anything less than he was - a brave hero.

When I learned of the passing of Colonel Pergrin the other day, the first thing I thought was - the Colonel must have been doing a muster call on Monday and was coming up one short.

:14_1_107v:

I will see you again, Dad. I love you.

Oh my gosh I am so very sorry to hear about your dear father and also about the Colonel.

I had the wonderful opportunity to talk with Col Pergrin and he was such a delight; still sharp on the phone and also so respectful of my dad's service to his country. A very humble man. I shall treasure his signed books.

Again, my heart goes out to you on your loss. I liked the way you stated about the roll call...

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Thank you, Marion.

And the roll call was the first thing I thought of. It sort of made some logic out of chaos.

Ah, just thought I would post Pergrin's obit here. Happen to run across it today while looking up something on him.

SHREWSBURY Col. David E. Pergrin, 94, died in Shrewsbury on Saturday, April 7, 2012. He was a proud PSU graduate, a football letterman and a member of Skull and Bones, Lion's Paw and the Engineering Honor Societies. As president of the class of 1940, Col. Pergrin was instrumental in the selection of the Nittany Lion as the class gift. On September 19, 1941, he married Margaret Mary Cimahosky. He was the commander of the 291st Engineer Combat Battalion, (the most decorated Engineering Battalion in WWII). Col. Pergrin was awarded the Purple Heart, Silver Star, Bronze Star, the Presidential Unit Citation, the Croix de Guerre from both France and Belgium, and the Silver order of the De Fleurry Medal. Col. Pergrin wrote two books on his war experiences: First Across the Rhine and Engineering the Victory. Col. Pergrin was awarded the Freedom Foundations' George Washington Medal of Honor in 1998. After the war, Col. Pergrin worked for the Pennsylvania Railroad, and Penn Central, retiring as the Vice President and Chief Engineer. He was active in the Boy Scouts of America, and was awarded the Silver Beaver Award for his years volunteering as a leader and a merit badge counselor. He received the Outstanding Engineer Alumni Award from Penn State in 1988. Col. Pergrin wrote three books on woodcarving, (The Carver's Handbook I, II, and III) and helped establish the annual William Rush Woodcarving Show in Delaware County, PA. Col. Pergrin believed that every day was a gift and his life was a gift to those who knew him. He is survived by his wife Margaret; daughters, Bernadette Marriott of Mt. Pleasant, S.C., Patricia Brown of Frederick Md., Janeen Rastall of Marquette, Mich., Meg Bohn of Sugar Hill, Ga.; and his son, David Pergrin of Shrewsbury; along with grandchildren, great-grandchildren; sister-in-law, Evelyn Pergrin of Pomona, Calif.; and several nephews and nieces. A Funeral Liturgy will be held at 12 p.m. Saturday at St. John the Baptist Roman Catholic Church, 315 N. Constitution Ave, New Freedom. Interment will be in the church cemetery. A viewing will be held on Friday from 6 to 8 p.m. with a Vigil Service beginning at 7:30 p.m. at J.J. Hartenstein Mortuary, Inc., 24 N. Second St., New Freedom. In lieu of flowers, a donation may be made to the David E. and Margaret M. Pergrin Scholarship Fund at Office of Development, Penn State Brandywine, 25 Yearsley Mill Rd., Media, PA 19063.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Farewell Chief David Beautiful Bald Eagle-82nd Airborne buk2112 2 4,780 07-29-2016, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Farewell David Henry Lynn - 11th Armored Division Walt's Daughter 1 3,111 12-12-2013, 09:37 AM
  Farewell David Wagner - 39th Engineer Walt's Daughter 3 4,491 10-21-2013, 08:08 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  George Magellas - 82nd Airborne Walt's Daughter 0 2,101 11-15-2011, 04:29 PM
  Farewell David E. Yeager - 157th Engineer Walt's Daughter 1 3,034 05-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Last Post: Jeeper704
  Farewell Joe Crilley - Barney Armbruster - George Johnson Walt's Daughter 0 2,358 12-26-2008, 09:34 AM