1010th Engineer Treadway Bridge Company

Yes, isn't it exciting to actually see their name in print. I saw two instances of my father's name in the NARA archived docs from the 540th Engineers. I was just thrilled beyond words.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Regrettably, I do not recall how my father obtained the document. I wonder if it is missing a cover page, or something, to indicate the author.

Sorry that you were not aware of this document when your grandfather was still alive – could have been a great springboard for further discussion.

Many of the army documents do not have authors. These were often simply histories depicting the actions of the unit. Many of the units have these.

Marion J Chard

Almost every unit of company size or larger designated an officer or qualified NCO to keep a history of the unit as an extra duty. Copies of these unit histories would be sent up to higher HQs, ie: Co > Bn> Reg > Div> Corps etc, and used to assemble their histories. This narative of the 1010th was probably written by the company historian from his notes of the companies activities. It`s an unofficial history but factual in it`s content.

My father, Richard Baker was part of the 1010th. He enjoyed training at the camp in Alabama, then crossing to Great Britain, then France. He drove a truck carrying pontoon bridge parts across France to St Goar. He stood on the French bank watching tanks liked up and bombarding the German side as infantry crossed the Rhine under fire. His bridge parts were used to construct the pontoon bridge at St Goar and then he crossed and traveled with a tank battalion across Germany and Poland where he found the war ending.

Here's a link to a nice description of the St. Goar crossing; The 1010th is not mentioned, but this was perhaps my father's most memorable event of all his experiences in WWII as he was present with the 1010th or (tententh) as he called it before the bridge was built, through the bombardment, assisting in building the bridge, and then crossing it.

https://gallagherstory.com/ww2/chapter18.html

Thanks for your consideration.

My uncle, Kenneth Coleman, was a member of the 1010 Engineers Treadway Bridge Company. He was never married and passed away in his mid 50's. His belongings ended up in my posession, and I would like to provide pictures I have of the companies trek across Europe in the latter days of WWII. I know they would be of importance to the relatives of these brave heroes!

Keith Brown

5 hours ago, funonealso said:

Thanks for your consideration.

My uncle, Kenneth Coleman, was a member of the 1010 Engineers Treadway Bridge Company. He was never married and passed away in his mid 50's. His belongings ended up in my posession, and I would like to provide pictures I have of the companies trek across Europe in the latter days of WWII. I know they would be of importance to the relatives of these brave heroes!

Keith Brown

Hi Keith,

I would love to see these pictures, I would be happy to send the pics I have as well. Could you email them to me maybe? If they are too big, use wetransfer.com and you can send up to 2gb for free. J_riederer@hotmail.com. I would really enjoy seeing those and maybe my grandpa would even be in some. 

Thank you!

That's quite an extensive history. Thanks for providing that link. 

Marion J Chard

19 hours ago, j_riederer said:

Hi Keith,

I would love to see these pictures, I would be happy to send the pics I have as well. Could you email them to me maybe? If they are too big, use wetransfer.com and you can send up to 2gb for free. J_riederer@hotmail.com. I would really enjoy seeing those and maybe my grandpa would even be in some. 

Thank you!

Hi  J_riederer,

Give me a little time to get them scanned, and figure the ins and outs of this forum, and we'll get things worked out. I'd like to post them here, if possible!

Keith

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1284th Combat Engineer Company B Song (Elsie) Procyon2014 0 4,614 08-21-2019, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Procyon2014
  2827th Company C steve boshko 8 10,462 03-28-2019, 11:01 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  1017th Treadway Bridge Co 1946- Jessie - Eddie King’s daughter 2 3,794 01-28-2019, 06:34 PM
  358th Engineers, Company "C" ttimbie 20 20,546 12-20-2018, 08:20 AM
  149th Engineer Combat BTN Company B Pappy 1 5,300 10-31-2018, 02:09 PM
  344th Engineer General Service Regiment, Company C Peggy Kennedy 3 5,131 10-18-2017, 08:33 AM
  3939th Quartermaster Gas Supply Company Hippygator 9 9,858 09-13-2017, 09:18 AM
  Restoring a '44 gmc from 276th engineers/remagen bridge. Any info pics please Caretaker 1 3,032 09-07-2017, 12:03 PM
  610th Engineer Light Eqiuipment Company Mariani 3 5,853 10-10-2016, 08:42 PM
  Company D, 342nd General Service Regiment Engineers in WWII vette97 14 17,203 10-01-2016, 08:14 PM
Last Post: asabraham