3939th Quartermaster Gas Supply Company

Hello everyone. Looking for anything anyone might have in regard to the 3939th Quartermaster Gas Supply Company. My father was attached to that unit during his tenure overseas. He was wounded in action twice while lying in a hedgerow firing at a German farmhouse. The  Germans were firing from the basement at ground level. He got the first purple heart when they caught him in the left shoulder, and the second when he turned to crawl back to the medics. This one entered his left heel and traveled up his calf to exit just below the knee. The medics risked their lives to get him and take him to a rear area and into another farmhouse and down the basement where they layed him on a table and tended to his wounds. One of the medics spied a row of canned goods lining the wall and asked, "Hey buddy, want a pickle?"

My dad said that was the best pickle he ever tasted. Maybe it was because he knew he was headed HOME.

Great story! (Well maybe not the massive injuries part of it!) Welcome to the forum. We welcome any other stories you might have. As for the unit, Marion, our indefatigable administrator, will no doubt have something for you shortly.

Once again, welcome aboard!

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Thanks Captain. And my Dad said very little about his experience during the war. He was in the Normandy, France, and Rhineland Campaigns. You had to catch him in a good mood, hee, hee. He never told either of my siblings the story. It was good I asked. Thank you for your service.

Yes great story. One insignificant little vegetable brought so much delight. Glad to hear that he survived his ordeals.

I will try to see what I can find out for you.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Sorry I overlooked this post earlier, but I'm HERE now.

Found some initial info that our late friend, Larry had posted many moons ago. When going to this link, start with post dated, April 28, 2011.

Marion J Chard

I am going to start listing links for you and other who may be searching for info on this unit. Would be nice to have it all in one spot. So it looks like they were part of 1st Engineer Special Brigade assigned troops and attached units.

http://ww2veteransmemories.com/al-rose-1st-engineer-special-brigade/

Here's a great page all about quartermasters on D-Day Normandy

http://www.dday-overlord.com/eng/american_forces_2.htm

https://www.fold3.com/image/290391922

http://normandyallies.org/howard-teal-of-3939-quartermaster-gas-supply-company/

https://www.backtonormandy.org/the-history/support-troops-usa/quartermaster/support12940.html

http://www.longshoresoldiers.com/2010/07/1st-engineer-special-brigade-assigned.html

You should contact NARA in Maryland to see what records they have on this unit. See my research section for further information. ;)

Marion J Chard

Thank you so much Marion for your help in this matter. I am so thrilled to have you contact me with info about the 3939 Gasoline Supply Company. My Dad was 9th infantry, attached at some point to the 3939 Gasoline Supply Company. However there are many questions as to the date in question [13 December 1944]. He was shot twice on that date, but where was he? Was he attached to the 3939 then or attached later on the trip back to England? I have discovered that the 9th infantry was near Duren on or near that date. But did the location have anything to do with him? 

Of course these questions are all rhetorical and probably will never be answered fully. But I certainly appreciate your assistance!

This is my dad PFC Raymond R. Simon 9th Infantry, 3939 Quartermaster Supply Company. Before being shipped overseas Camp Wheeler, Ga. 59b6abd8ae3b5_RaymondSimonCampWheelerGa1944.thumb.jpg.ebbfe49484fbd13cad60c619c46e08e7.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Raymond Simon Camp Wheeler Ga, 1944.jpg (Size: 485.04 KB / Downloads: 0)

Love the pic. Nice looking man. 

Well maybe NOT all rhetorical questions. Let's hope not. If you can get your hands on the unit info from Maryland, it may clear up some answers. Also, since you know the date he was injured, you can contact NARA in St Louis and acquire the morning reports for him.  If you are interested, I can put you in touch with the guy who pulled morning reports for my father. He was quite reasonable and it really helped fill in some blanks.

Smiles,

Marion J Chard

Ha! That's were I got all my looks...er just kidding. Can't improve on ugly as you can see, hee, hee. Thanks again for your direction. First I will try to absorb what you have already sent me, then I will be in touch.

Regards, Gator

ha-ha!  BTW, I love Mr. Gator.  Glad I could provide that direction. Anytime!

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1010th Engineer Treadway Bridge Company j_riederer 29 32,068 11-15-2019, 07:56 PM
Last Post: funonealso
  1284th Combat Engineer Company B Song (Elsie) Procyon2014 0 4,614 08-21-2019, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Procyon2014
  2827th Company C steve boshko 8 10,463 03-28-2019, 11:01 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  358th Engineers, Company "C" ttimbie 20 20,557 12-20-2018, 08:20 AM
  149th Engineer Combat BTN Company B Pappy 1 5,302 10-31-2018, 02:09 PM
  344th Engineer General Service Regiment, Company C Peggy Kennedy 3 5,131 10-18-2017, 08:33 AM
  610th Engineer Light Eqiuipment Company Mariani 3 5,853 10-10-2016, 08:42 PM
  Company D, 342nd General Service Regiment Engineers in WWII vette97 14 17,204 10-01-2016, 08:14 PM
Last Post: asabraham
  Company C of the 342nd Engrs langsdon 6 7,073 09-27-2016, 06:44 PM
  James Phillip Regan, 2756th Combat Engineers, Company A Mike M. 27 24,877 04-03-2016, 10:39 AM