DANFORTH ANCHOR - need information!

K. Digging through my papers now.

OK I've gone through all my construction photos and battle photos and none of them SHOW an anchor, even in storage in the ponton. They are all already deployed and all you see is the achoring line extending beneath the water.

In the Operation Flashpoint after action documents I found the following, which my help Ft. LWood Narrow down the TYPE of anchor used. Heck, they taught them how to properly deploy and set them, CERTAINLY there are some illustrations around somewhere.

This is the area of Wesel and Wallach Germany, Red, White and Blue beaches. ( 30th Inf Div, 79th Inf Div, 1148 engr grp,1103 engr grp, 1143engr grp, 1117 engr grp, 1142 engr grp, 202ecb, 258 ecb, 280 ecb,171 ecb, 234ecb,989 treadway bridge co, 17 armed engr bn-trdway bridge co - co E, 180 engr hv pon bn, 554 engr hv pon co, 73 engr L pon co, 1355 engr dp trk co, 747 tk bn (minus co D-operating lvts)

========================

Treadway Bridge, M-2,20016 anchors used in a normalanchor system - no cross stream cable. ( you'd think with that many used, some would have turned up in SOME internet document about being found during dredgings, NOPE)

Heavy Ponton Bridge, anchors used were of various weights from 200-600 pounds These were salvaged from barges in canals along the Maas River. Anchor system was later reinforced by bailey crib anchors. (LARGE van sized wire boxes filled with whatever they could find that wouldn't fall out, dumped in the river and used as weights/ anchors)

Thanks Carol. I know he appreciates all our efforts.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

On the light M3 ponton bridge, the main achorage was a shore to shore cable that the rafts were anchored to. In certain situations only 2 30-lb Danforth anchors were used, 1 on each hinge raft ( rafts closest to shore ).

An online copy of technical manual- TM 5-275, Pneumatic ponton bridge M3 dated April 19, 1943 can be found here:

http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc29951/m1/1/

The List of Equipment - Unit of Pneumatic Ponton Bridge M3

Anchor, Danforth, 30 -lb..... basic quantity: 2; spares: 0; Total: 2

Anchor, kedge, 100-lb........basic quantity: 14; spares: 4; Total: 18

Page 30, Note 2: If bridge is long and current is strong, upstream anchors ( one per hinge raft and float assembly ) are used instead of the upstream anchor cable, and are cast from the assault boat by the upstream anchor section.

post-304-0-85379900-1327456664_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   med_res.jpg (Size: 187.47 KB / Downloads: 0)

Page 30, Note 2: If bridge is long and current is strong, upstream anchors ( one per hinge raft and float assembly ) are used instead of the upstream anchor cable, and are cast from the assault boat by the upstream anchor section.

post-304-0-85379900-1327456664_thumb.jpg

I looked for that FM the other day online and all I found was where you could buy them. Funny that it should be found in the University of North Texas library online as that is a) the college from which I graduated, and B) I was on their site yesterday! Incidentally, the name of the univeristy was changed in the early 90's to UNT from North Texas State University which explains the NTSU stamped on the front cover.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

All I can say is Rah, Rah, Rah! :wave2: :wave2: :wave2:

Marion J Chard

Please dont make me write a TM on google searching! :pdt:

I also found mention of early manuals FM 5-10 & TM 5-270 that is supposed to have info on floating bridges, but i cant locate the ealy versions ( 1939- 1941?), the newr 1968 versions doesnot have anything useful on ponton bridges.

Bud is keeping track of this post and is very grateful for all our help.

Marion J Chard

Larry, let me see if I can locate those at Fort Leonard Wood. Will write to my buddy this morning.

Marion J Chard

Look at what I found.

http://www.paperlessarchives.com/fms_1920-1940.html

They also have other manuals on disk too. Great selection!!!

A few minutes later...

I did order that set on disk and also a set containing tech manuals from WWII. I will let everyone know when they arrive.

ORDERED ITEMS:

WW II Military Field Manuals

Archival copy on CD-ROM ProductID=26270

Qty: 1 at $12.95 .............................................. $12.95

Military Field Manuals 1920-1940

Archival copy on CD-ROM

Format: PC

Qty: 1 at $10.00 .............................................. $10.00

Marion J Chard