DANFORTH ANCHOR - need information!

I am posting this for a new friend who is looking for information for his project. If you can help, please get in contact with me. Many thanks, M1

I’m writing to you, for your name was listed on the website as contact for WWII information about the VIth Corps Combat Engineers.

I am a maritime historian, currently developing a paper and a series of lectures about the history of the DANFORTH ANCHOR, used on most WWII landing craft and for securing pontoon bridges. Apparently many of these bridges were held in place by 75 to 150# Danforth anchors.

Your website had some good postings from men who indicated that upstream anchors were often used to secure groups of pontoons.

I am seeking copies of photographs or access to WWII manuals with diagrams showing these anchors and directions for how they were to be set.

Might you have a way to guide me to what I’m looking for?

Are there any WWII veterans still around who might remember these anchors?

THANK YOU for any information you can offer.

Feel free to contact me at any time by phone or by email.

Appreciatively,

Bud Warren

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

This is not for Bud, for he already knows THIS STUFF, but for our viewers. As always, I like to present information to educate our readers, and myself.

http://navy.togetherweserved.com/usn/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApp?cmd=ShadowBoxProfile&type=Person&ID=533409

Marion J Chard
WEB3-Fortress-Anchor1.jpg
Marion J Chard

From Michael Brodhead, historian at Army Engineer Office of History, Alexandria, VA

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED

Caveats: NONE

Dear Marion,

Sorry to report that we have nothing on the Danforth anchor. Eric had

nothing either. I hope that there is an answer at Fort Leonard Wood.

Mike

--------------

I've also gone through a ton of documents, including the entire month of March 1945 from the National Archives (regarding the Rhine River crossing), and nothing there either. Thought that would be a good place to find mention, for the documents also include several equipment lists, but...

Marion J Chard

My dad was in the 2828th Engineer Combat Bn. after the war was over but was in the 188th Engineers (not part of the VI Corps) during the war and took part in the crossing of the Rhine. I have attached a copy of 3rd Army Crossing of the Rhine. It mentions anchors on pages 15 and 22 but not by specific name.

You may want to suggest to your friend that the military engineering term is “ponton” with two o’s not three. That is the term used throughout the attached, my dad’s Engineer Field Notebook and it was the term we used when I was in the Engineers, too. Spell check keeps trying to “correct” me and Bud may simply be a victim of misguided technology.

Thanks for all you do to remind the current generations of what The Greatest Generation did.

Thanks,

Don

Marion J Chard
I would suggest putting up a query on the forums at www.uboat.net The site has expanded tremendously, and has lots of information about all things naval in WWII, not just U-Boats.

Pat Winship

Marion J Chard

Bud and several of us (including Don Prasse) have been corresponding via email the last week or so, but here is the latest from Bud. Some great news!!!!

Dear Marion & Don –

Just to let you know -

I may have hit pay dirt in my quest to find data about use of anchors in setting PONTON bridges!

Found a listing of technical manuals in one or another Combat Engineers website and went to WORLD CAT, an international library catalog.

Found the following and have requested them on interlibrary loan through my local library.

TM 5-273 – 25 Ton Ponton Bridge – 145 pages

TM 5-275 – Pneumatic Ponton Bridge – 60 pages

Hopefully there will be something to confirm use of Danforth anchors.

I’ll let you know.

Appreciatively,

Bud

Marion J Chard

OH WAIT! I was just reading about anchors in my FlashPoint paperwork (after actions of the crossing at wallach, red, white and blue beaches. I'll go back and reread them tonight and post as soon as I can. :)

I just reread that. I don't know WHAT information he's looking for, but the Danforth is still a VERY common anchor. It folds flat, pops open on contact and then you drag to anchor on the bottom and winch in the boat. Kind of like an underwater entrenching tool !

I think what I have in my documents is numbers of anchorts used and placement, but no diagrams. Certainly FT LWood would have placement information concerning drift and strategy. Otherwise, it's kind of common sense.

Yes, he is looking for wwii documentation, which mentions the use of these type of anchors for river crossing, etc.

Marion J Chard