Lt John M. Mason - photo discovered!

Here's a great letter I received.

Thank you for this site . My Uncle Lt John M. Mason had just recently been married before departing for England. His Wife Connie Harris is still living and I was able to share the photo of Uncle Jack with her this year. He is one of the four officers that you mention in this account of your fathers war experience. My Aunt had never seen the photo of Jack and we believe it must be the last photo ever taken of him unless additional photos of Company B are available somewhere. He died on October 7th at “The island” in Opheusden. He was rendered unconscious on October 5th by an 88 shell that took down a building and the debris fell on him. He came to on October 6th . He and the other remaining Lt.’s that were still alive were at the HQ when a second 88 shell exploded outside of the HQ. He was not touched by the shrapnel but instead the concussion (his 2nd in 24hrs) killed him. He was one of the lucky ones though as he made it home and is in Arlington. My father was the last to see him as he was stationed in London as part of a B17 Command (8th Air force). Lt. Don Franklin Marrs. Thank you again for the effort placed in this memorial. My Aunt would have never seen this photo if not for your efforts.

Chris Marrs

Son Barbara Harris Marrs and Don Franklin Marrs

This is so cool. The picture he refers to is found on Charles Wilber's page on the main site.

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/CharlesWilber.htm

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1942 photo Dad & jeep arve 2 5,134 10-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Photo "C" Company 181st infantry regiment arve 10 12,921 08-15-2007, 07:51 PM
  Photo of Don Straith and Able Co 506th PIR Walt's Daughter 0 2,533 07-10-2007, 03:02 PM