2770th Engineer Base Reproduction Company

Received this from a colleague of mine. Am happy to say I found an answer, which is also included below.

Hi Marion--

Dave Berry (Pathfinder historian) writing. It has been quite a while since we were in communication.

I have a quick question which is somewhat outside of my comfort zone....I am assisting a friend of my father who was in the USACofE during WW2.

I am trying to determine his parent unit. He told me that he was in the "2770th". He was a map maker/lithographer. He told me that he was at Belvoir in mid to late 44 and they shipped out to Europe in late 44 and they were scrambled to the front in the "Bulge" such that he was there during the last two weeks of the battle. He remembers his Captains name as Ehrett (or Ehret).

I have found reference to 4-digit CoE units beginning with 27. These appear to be titled: 27xx Engineer Base Reproduction Company. I found reference to 2771st and 2773rd but NOT 2770th.

I was curious to know if your archives could give me something firm on the name/numeric designation of this unit and any larger formations it might have been attached to.

Mr. Mallardi is a friend of my dad's down in Florida. He is 93 years old and told me that he got "the Letter" from St. Louis about the fire. While at Ft. Belvoir he fell off of freight train and was hospitalized with a broken coxix (tail bone). His Capt. came to him before they shipped out and told him they needed him and Mr. Mallardi checked himself out of the hospital and rejoined his outfit to ship out. He was hoping to find reference to his hospitalization in his service records...but you know how that St. Louis stuff goes. My thought was to verify the 27xx "engineer" unit and then go to Lee's Summit and find the Morning Reports...which were not destroyed in the fire.

Can you get me started in the right direction about this 2770th outfit?

BTW, since last we spoke I have relocated from Dayton, OH to Alpharetta, GA. I can't think of anything more fun than packing and moving after being in the same place for 38 years!

Hope to hear from you.

Dave Berry

Historian WW2 Pathfinder Group Assn.

==============

Dear Dave:

I have GOOD news. My buddy, historian Michael Brodhead (Army Corps of Engineers Office of History), came through with flying colors. Here's the info:

Marion--

After a frustrating day of bad luck finding anything for a couple of

researchers I was pleased to find, without difficulty, this entry in John

Controvich's bibliography of unit histories:

2770th Engineer Base Reproduction Company, Seine Section, Paris, France.

Bobingany: 1945. 34 lvs. PCarlMH.

"PCarlMH", as you may know, refers to the Military History Institute at

Carlisle, Pennsylvania.

We are pretty sure that this is the unit in question. There were no 2770s

listed in the WWII Order of Battle volume, which has entries for battalions

and larger units. Also, a base reproduction outfit sounds like the sort of

unit where a "map maker/lithographer" should be.

Michael

Happy to help. I am going to post this info on my site too, so we may benefit others who are also in search...

Smiles,

Marion

:armata_PDT_37:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

From Dave, yesterday...

Hi Marion--

Sorry. Have been out of communication for the past few days.

Yes, that is outstanding!

As I told Dan, I needed to confirm the alpha/numeric designation of his unit so that we can go after the morning reports. I hope to follow up at Carlisle today for the textual history.

There were three platoons in the Reproduction Company. He was able to name two of the officers plus the Company CO. I found one of the Lts living in NJ. This is the Lt who ran the opposing football squad during a post-VE Day game--and Dan scored an opening kick-off touchdown on him! Hopefully they got to chat. Dan is 93, the Lt is 91!

Thanks so much for your assistance!

Dave Berry

Marion J Chard

Hello all -

@Marion/Dave Berry - please have your friend whose father served in this company contact me, if interested.

My late grandfather, Ralph C. Cartledge, served in the 2770th Engineering Base Reproduction Company as a lithographer. He was 31 when he was drafted in 1943, 65 when I was born, and I was 13 when he passed away. At that time, I did not know yet how much I would long to know more about him and his time in the service. He was a very kind and gentle man who shared very little of his wartime experiences with my mother and her sister; but THANKFULLY he was a pack rat like me, and he organized his photographs, letters, v-mail, company publications, telegrams, and "souvenirs" so neatly that I am blessed with a window into that time in his life. I have photos, publications, and lists with names (and sometimes "souvenir" signatures) of the other men he served with at various stages of the war. STILL - there is so much guessing to be done without his guidance.

I joined this forum to connect with any living members or descendants of his company. I am in the process of scanning and transcribing notes and documents that may provide insight into the company's movements - as this is impossible to find online. I'm also learning how to take advantage of such a forum to share information - this is my first post.

Please contact me if you have information about the 2770th EBRC or questions about my notes that might help you in your quest.

Welcome to the forum. I will send a note to Dave and have him get in touch with you. I'm sure his friend Dan will be very pleased to discuss the 2770th. YEAH!

Marion J Chard

My brother Joseph McNamara is 92 year’s old and lives in Florida. He was in the 2770th and had Captain Ehret as his company commander. He said the group was formed in Portland, Oregon. My brother came from Buffalo, NY to join the unit.

My brother remembers a Mr. Mallardi in his outfit but said he doesn’t ever believe he talked to him. My brother doesn’t remember a Ralph C. Cartledge though. If anyone wants to talk to by brother Joe McNamara, they could get hold of me at Jemac12345@tampabay.rr.com. I know very little of his service although knew that Joe was in the 2770th Engineering Base Reproduction Company with captain Ehret.

He remembers traveling the 15 days by convoy to cross from Boston harbor to Le Bourget (or Le havre), France. They lost a ship during the crossing the Atlantic in the convoy.

I’m sure a historian could get a lot more information from my brother Joe if they wanted.

Please send him our love and let him we are very interesting in his history. I am so glad you joined our forum. I hope that "bardowl" will see this, even though it's been several years. I'll try sending her a private message too and hope that his email is still active.

Thank you SO much. And a very happy new year to both of you.

Marion J Chard

I am so excited to see this note! As soon as I saw "Captain Ehret" I knew there was a connection, however loose! I have a souveneir publication that they printed on Paris, and it includes photographs of the company and a list of all names and their home addresses. Mr. McNamara is there.

I will email you directly, sir, and thanks again to Marion for a forum that has connected us, even though these were not combat engineers.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2731st Engineer Light Equipment Company Natalie Z 1 753 10-31-2023, 09:25 AM
Last Post: PDP2020
  250 Engineer Battalion Company Research R Eric 0 2,676 11-08-2022, 03:27 AM
Last Post: R Eric
  247th Combat Engineers Company A Rebecca 1 3,779 12-10-2019, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  351st Engineers, Company E, 2nd Battalion KLP 1 3,368 10-02-2019, 03:07 PM
  453rd Engineers Depot Company davecamp 3 188,548 03-10-2018, 10:37 AM
  Jay Howard Bodle, Company E, 333rd Engineers Jason Finkelman 3 4,531 03-05-2016, 02:45 PM
  3060th Engineer Topographic Company Walt's Daughter 0 2,566 03-04-2016, 10:30 AM
  36th Combat Engineers Regt but which company C or G? ggent001 5 7,026 12-22-2015, 05:49 PM
  981st Engineer Maintenance Company Big Pete 14 16,925 06-13-2014, 08:11 AM
  157th Engineer Combat Battalion Company A brian m 1 4,024 11-13-2013, 12:14 PM