1058th pc&r or port construction and repair group

Donald,

I have been absent from the forum for quite a while and only today saw your entry. Through my research, I finally discovered that the 1058th PC&R was in overall charge of the bridge repairs at Remagen. My Uncle T-5 George Chandler Company A 341st Engineer (GS) Regiment was attached to some outfit working on the bridge when it fell. He was killed when this happened and I have not been able to nail down just when he was attached or to whom.

I am in the process of hiring a researcher to help with my problem and just wanted to say hi. If I can be of any help please ask. Marion and this site has always been great.

Parker

My dad, Walter N. Curlock 1058th went down while welding on the Remagen Bridge. He was injured, but survived only to have back problems the rest of his life. I have pictures of the bridge right after the collapse if you are interested. I would really be interested in what your researcher finds out for you.My father said his friends died because while they were welding they were chained to the bridge to keep them from falling (he guessed)When the bridge collapsed the men died because they couldn't away from the steel structures they were attached to. He said he was one of the lucky ones and pulled himself loose after his girder hit the bottom of the river.

Messages In This Thread
1058th pc&r or port construction and repair group - by Curlock - 01-31-2012, 01:37 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to the Group! Deborah Gregory 2 3,363 10-13-2018, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Hi All! - 1139th Combat Engineering group Nancy Beller 10 12,440 01-28-2015, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter